1877 IH !!!!

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Finally, I find a key date coin!

Rewind two days ago and I am returning home from detecting a public park nearby when I bump into a nice gentleman with his wife and three kids out for a stroll. It just so happened that we bumped into each other in front of a churchyard that I had my intention of detecting for some time now. Anyway, this gentleman turns out to be the pastor of the church and grants me permission to detect it all I want. I detected part of the front yard of the church and found a couple wheats and some clad. Interestingly enough I have yet to find a nail, pull tab or anything else that is not a coin. After about an hour I returned home.

After work today, I decided to risk the sweltering heat, geared up some water bottles and headed out. I began detecting the shaded regions of the churchyard around some of the older trees and plants and immediately started finding wheats. I have still yet to find any silver however the existence of wheats increases my chances I think.

The second the last target of the day was reading as a penny/dime at four inches. For those with the ACE 250, I have noticed that a memorial penny will "ding ding" at me while a wheat normally will bounce back with a single bell tone. I have found very few IH pennies so I was not sure whether they responded as if they were memorials. This IH sounded like a wheat so I dug!

Much to my amazement, out pops this beauty. HOLY COW!

I'm still in shock and im search of a stiff drink.

HH

-Hunter

Attachments

• 1877Front.JPG
    1877Front.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 3,531
  • 1877Back.JPG
    1877Back.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 3,500
Upvote 5

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This coin looks dug to me. There is just enough pitting (especially between the wreath and rim), the hue is pinkish even more on the reverse and the coin has obviously been wiped off with a cloth as evidenced by the fibers. I've found coins this nice before. Few and far between. I once dug a flying eagle penny that was this nice and clean.

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is outstanding. I have also dug Wheaties that looked almost that good.
You seem like a fine young man. I am happy for you.

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on an awesome find! :thumbsup: Breezie

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Great find! :icon_thumright: Beautiful coin. Congrats on the banner.

Maine_Jim

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one sweet looking coin. I have dug them as green as can be and have dug some old and brown. Nice recovery. Happy for your find and do not forget the good pastor. :icon_sunny:

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
Johnny Ringo Silver said:
Well now.....didnt you just shoot yourself in the foot!!! ::)
I was with you 110% about it being a legit find and all right up to the point you mentioned being a future Liar/(Lawyer).LOL....Hmmm..I'm gonna have to go back and take another look at all this for sure for sure! :laughing7: Meanwhile, if you keep using them big ol' words around some of us...well...were just gonna get all cornfused and such!
Keep up the good digs and lets see some dirty pics in the future.
Johnny
p.s. I'm refering to pictures of the coin while its still dirty! 8)
future liar! thats funny johnny!! that explains every thing. willy

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
I have to admit when I first viewed the find I though to myself "no way that was dug" but when i closely viewed the back of the coin I can see light corrosion and there's still dirt in the shield. I have no doubt now that it was in fact dug, congrats on the awesome banner find :thumbsup:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on getting a key IH that is in as good as shape as one could hope for coming from the ground, might want to consider that find your upgrade detector find :D

Don

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star
An amazing find and truly banner worthy! As for the validity of being dug or not.....There is no doubt in my mind that the coin was brought from the ground. I use to live in Michigan where I have dug maybe hundreds of Indians and they would quite commonly come out looking very similar to your rare beauty. Its very common for certain soil types not to effect certan coins as seen by posts here from all parts of the country and the world. Enjoy your moment in the sun as its well deserved and I wish you continued success!

Slipperyjack47

Jim C.

Jun 23, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer (is there another brand)
I can second what slipperyjack is saying. Our Michigan soil produces primo indians like the one posted. Mainly from old home sites not parks. Just ask Don from Jersey. He finds some real nice ones in sandy soil in his area as well. Great find!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lennon631 said:
My vote is in....WTG!

but a bit late :wink:
Been up there since yesterday :D

makton

Mar 5, 2008
New Lenox, Il
Detector(s) used
Explorer II with 10x12 SEF
Excellent find.
They do come out of the ground like that from time to time.
One of my hunting buddies found one in Illinois in a private yard.
Search WaSaBi on this forum - it's his avatar.

Makton

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the great find. I will leave it at that. After looking at the picture I just cannot comment. Other than to say great find.

Ed D.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread