1877 IH !!!!

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Finally, I find a key date coin!

Rewind two days ago and I am returning home from detecting a public park nearby when I bump into a nice gentleman with his wife and three kids out for a stroll. It just so happened that we bumped into each other in front of a churchyard that I had my intention of detecting for some time now. Anyway, this gentleman turns out to be the pastor of the church and grants me permission to detect it all I want. I detected part of the front yard of the church and found a couple wheats and some clad. Interestingly enough I have yet to find a nail, pull tab or anything else that is not a coin. After about an hour I returned home.

After work today, I decided to risk the sweltering heat, geared up some water bottles and headed out. I began detecting the shaded regions of the churchyard around some of the older trees and plants and immediately started finding wheats. I have still yet to find any silver however the existence of wheats increases my chances I think.

The second the last target of the day was reading as a penny/dime at four inches. For those with the ACE 250, I have noticed that a memorial penny will "ding ding" at me while a wheat normally will bounce back with a single bell tone. I have found very few IH pennies so I was not sure whether they responded as if they were memorials. This IH sounded like a wheat so I dug!

Much to my amazement, out pops this beauty. HOLY COW!

I'm still in shock and im search of a stiff drink.

HH

-Hunter

Attachments

• 1877Front.JPG
    1877Front.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 3,531
  • 1877Back.JPG
    1877Back.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 3,500
Upvote 5

how u do n

Dec 21, 2008
in my own little world :)
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Minlab E-Trac Garrett Pinpointer
Very nice find. :)
Please do not let the people who think you did not find it upset you.
Remember, people sometimes think because they have never done it
that it can not be done.
I have been doing this for over 35 years,and have found a few coins
that have come out of the ground this nice.
Not the 1877 though lol :)
So, just relax-breath-and enjoy the find :)
HH
GL
Dan

OP
OP
hbeaton

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Thanks again to all who have posted congratulatory remarks! Means alot coming from you guys and gals :icon_thumright:

To those interested in additional information about the find or better yet relation to the find, i.e. other coins dug in the same area, soil conditions, etc. I will be happy to post some good clear pictures of the location I found the coin, I could probably redig the old plug even as I have a GPS system to construct a virtual replication of the churchyard grounds (triangulational surveying is great for metal detecting) so I have a good makeup of where i found the most coins, where i haven't searched yet, etc.

I borrowed a good camera to take the photos of my coin so I will again borrow it for the digging conditions pictures. Be on the lookout for that.

In other news, mailed "Bertha" the IH to the NGC and will anxiously await the results and will post as soon as I can.

HH!

-Hunter

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
210 year old coin, found by my sister,(The Vermonster), in Vermont, a couple weeks ago. Almost NO pitting at all.

Attachments

• 6-6-2010 2;00;43 PM.jpg
    6-6-2010 2;00;43 PM.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 1,461
  • 6-6-2010 2;00;49 PM.jpg
    6-6-2010 2;00;49 PM.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 1,463

bigealive

May 20, 2008
Good Thunder, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 - Pro Pointer
Nice Indian!!!! I have found a fair amount of Indians that appeared to be uncirculated and do look to be the same condition as yours. I also have a 1909 that looks to have some original luster... I guess what I am getting at is that the type of ground you are on may be a good way to perserve a coin. Todd Hollerich

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Explorer / Sovereign / Sidewinder
Beautiful coin! And welcome to the banner. :D (you're right after my first)

Wish my Indians came out that nice but they're always green. Although, visually, I do like the green patina.

Way to go--look forward to what else you're finding from those sites.

_Rich_

P.S.: A lawyer dies and arrives at the Pearly Gates. "There must be some mistake" complains the lawyer, "I'm much too young to have died!" St. Peter says "Let me see," opens the register in front of him, looks it over, and says "According to our records, you are 131 years old." The lawyer replied, "That's ridiculous! I'm only 48. How did you come up with 131?" "Well", says St. Peter," we added up your billable hours." :D

OP
OP
hbeaton

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Haha!!! Excellent joke BlackX...

I have proposed the following regulation for submission into all fifty states, District of Columbia and U.S. owned territories to govern Lawyer Hunting!

A BILL TO REGULATE THE HUNTING AND HARVESTING OF ATTORNEYS

* 372.01 Any person with a valid state rodent or armadillo hunting license may also hunt and harvest attorneys for recreational and sporting (non-commercial) purposes.
* 372.02 Taking of attorneys with traps or deadfalls is permitted.The use of United States currency as bait is, however, prohibited.
* 372.03 The willful killing of attorneys with a motor vehicle is prohibited, unless such vehicle is an ambulance being driven in reverse. If an attorney is accidentally struck by a motor vehicle, the dead attorney should be removed to the roadside and the vehicle should proceed to the nearest car wash.
* 372.04 It is unlawful to chase, herd, or harvest attorneys from a power boat, helicopter or fixed-wing aircraft.
* 372.05 It is unlawful to shout 'Whiplash', 'Ambulance', or 'Free Scotch' for the purpose of trapping attorneys.
* 372.06 It is unlawful to hunt attorneys within one hundred (100) yards of BMW, Porsche, or Mercedes dealerships, except on Wednesday afternoons.
* 372.07 It is unlawful to hunt attorneys within two hundred (200) yards of courtrooms, law libraries, health clubs, country clubs or hospitals.
* 372.08 If an attorney gains elective office, it is not necessary to have a license to hunt, trap or possess same.
* 372.09 It is unlawful for a hunter to wear a disguise as a reporter, drug dealer, pimp, female legal clerk, sheep, accident victim, bookie, physician, chiropractor or tax accountant for the purpose of hunting attorneys.
* 372.10 Stuffed or mounted attorneys must have a state health department inspection for AIDS, rabies, and vermin.
* 372.11 Bag Limits Per Day
1. Yellow Bellied Sidewinder - 2
2. Two-faced Tort Feasor - 1
3. Back-stabbing Divorce Litigator - 4
4. Small-endowed Ball Buster (Female only) - 3
5. Big-mouthed Pub Gut - 2
6. Honest Attorney - EXTINCT
7. Cut-throat - 2
8. Back-stabbing Whiner - 2
9. Brown-nosed Judge Kisser - 2
10. Silver-tongued Drug Defender - $100 BOUNTY
11. Hairy-arsed Civil Libertarian - 7

What do you think??

HH!

-Hunter

OP
OP
hbeaton

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
...and being true to form, the above was found online and in no way is agreed to or advocated by myself nor is it meant to speak for others within TNET. Any who take offense to the aforementioned post may direct their complaint to me directly via PM and I will most certainly get that complaint into my File 13.

Cheers!

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
At first I also said no way.Then I saw the dirt embedded in the shield and the corrosion around the wreath and the fibers from the cloth.It all pointed to a dug coin. The bad news is, it will probably come back with a denotation of cleaned.The good news is, even so, its still a four figure coin and it was free to you and you made the banner so congrats!!! HH, Bootstrap :icon_pirat:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Allow me to bump an old find.... but, Holy Crap! What a beautiful coin!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible coin! Banner for sure in that condition. I have a couple of semi keys with really nice detail but that thing is ridiculous. I bet you're right with the whole dads collection theory. That hasn't been there long

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oops just saw this is old as hell lol. It's esrly gimme a break 8-)

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man shes sweet, looks like it never seen the soil, outstanding find for sure...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread