1877 Indian Head Penny WOW !!

luckysgirl

Jul 26, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Being new to TN and this being my first post of my finds, I am tickled to death to be able to introduce myself
with such an awesome find ! I bought my first metal detector about 3 months ago under the enccouragement of my brother and the fact that I was always fascinated with his hobby. I bought a Whites XLT. It took me a while to get used to it and learn its personality but after a few outings we started getting along pretty well.
It just so happened that 3 weeks ago I was in a yard (without my brother and his advice) when I picked up a signal of a penny/dime about 8 inches deep. I started digging just hoping that my shovel would hold up as I have been through about 4 already when pretty as a picture (and all of 8 inches deep) out pops an Indian Head penny. I started cleaning it off and noticed that it was an 1877 and was excited still not knowing the demand for a coin like this...I was just happy that I found an Indian Head ! I finished digging in the yard and also found a Standing Liberty quarter with no date as it had rubbed away but was just as excited about it....still not knowing what the impact of the Indian Head would do to my brother. I came home and immediately called my bubby all proud of my finds. He informed me that the Indian was a really good find....probably worth about $30.00 and then his research on the penny started......3 days later....7 a.m. I get a phone call from him and needless to say a visit so that he himself may take a look just to make sure I wasnt mistaken....lol...he knows I need glasses. My penny is now soaking in olive oil !

Attachments

• P9240004.JPG
    P9240004.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 4,697
  • P9240003.JPG
    P9240003.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 4,566
Upvote 0

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/Troy Shadow X2/Ace 250
luckysgirl said:
Thank you for all the input and advice!! To be honest with you...I havent done
anything with the coin as of this date but only put it away for safe keeping!
I get it out and admire its beauty every great once in awhile....and to be honest,
the detail...in this beginners opinion is quite outstanding.
Believe me, when and if I am ever going to do anything with this coin....I will make
sure that it is the right thing. I still cant believe that I found it... ;D
Thanks again!
Is your puppy named cheech? That is one serious doobie he is burning!!! Nice penny also!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions