1885 church and grounds

C

cwe

I have just gotton permission to md around this old
church it was build in 1885 the pastor and wife lived next
door in this litttle brick home notice I said lived.

Never been md before and is well taken care of by the people
who own all the property 40 acres plus their old house.

My question... this is all new to me any suggestions I want
to do it right I am so excited and just wanted to share this
with you all.

I read this Forum every day.

I have a ace 250 anything else I should get?

cwe

Upvote 0

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
be bit bit careful with the sod....use a knike or a gator shovel. Also, a pinpionter will save you a lot of digging.

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
What are you doing sitting here talking to us? LOL get out there and start detecting.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
If you read this forum,then you have a pretty good idea on how important it is to always dig neatly and cover your holes. Start at the corners and work area slowwwwwwwly. New MD'ers have habit of scattered detectiing, but try to avoid this. The slower you go and the more you stick to a grid the better your finds. Learning your machine is a must. Good Luck and we look forward to your finds!

OP
OP
C

cwe

:)It is mostly grass and dirt not sodded a little rock.
They wanted it to look and stay country there has to be
a out house someplace..... will find out .
This all came about last night I was not into this before.
cwe

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
I am anxious to here of your finds..... I am working on permission to detect two country churches of similar vintage. So far I have only hunted at the beach but I am excited for you..... Good Luck. Gypsy is right about taking it slow and methodically. I was looking for a ring on a beach that someone said they lost in a 50' x 100' area. I went over the place 3 times. First time was less methodical. After that I made a grid and walked the whole area a second time, then a grid in the opposite direction and walked it a third time. Each time I continued to find more coins although they seemed to be deeper each time. Never found the ring but did learn a valuable lesson, if the center of the coil does not pass over a deep target you will not find it.. HH

livetoplay804

Apr 25, 2005
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
bad news, I already hit it.......Two wheat pennies and one new dime. You might as well not even go....Why dont you give us the gps coordinates just to make sure its the same one.

Kidding........Good Luck, ACE 250, good detector but only to about 4-6 inches (depending on soil)....Also, when you dig your hole, place the loose dirt on an towel. Then its easy to refil the hole and no mess on the groung.

Good Luck.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig it all unless you find very trashy areas, save those for last. Draw up a map or use a map of the area and grid the ground then cross over the hot spots in the opposite direction, you would be surprised at how much you miss. If there are farms fields close then grid those as well, they were the trash dumps in the old days. HH and I look forward to your finds, Mike

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
Welcome To The Forum, Every One Has Covered Everything, So, Best Of Luck & Good Hunting. trk5capt...

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 047.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 047.gif
    65.6 KB · Views: 241
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 047.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 047.gif
    65.6 KB · Views: 267

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
CWE I do church grounds from time to time myself. There's one I've hunted over 13 years in northern Michigan. Each year I find more and better stuff. I wonder if it's possible to hunt these places out?

My advice is to hunt VERY SLOWLY. If digging is not a problem and you know they're not going to stop you from hunting, I'd set my discrimination low and even dig the solid larger iron signals. If there's some doubt as to how long you'll be able to hunt the site, I'd set the discrimination higher and try to clean out the silver first.

But again, many super targets first register on the detector as iron. Most THers don't dig iron and they miss some of the best finds. I just recently found a 300+ year old French Trade Knife and iron grapeshot because the other THers used too much discrimination and therefore missed the finds.

The church grounds I hunt are in very bad condition and as soon as the people can afford it they plan to totally cover the area with black dirt and sod it all. Meanwhile I can even use a full sized shovel if I want to. I just make sure to always fill my holes.

HH

Badger

randall61

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2004
Guntersville,Alabama
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x2,viper trident
i agree hunt slow and scan the same ground from different directions,setting up grids with stakes will help also.

did you say youre willing to share lol......good luck and keep diggin

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi, sounds like a good spot and i agree with everyone else on this one.its an 1875 church and would have a nice big brass bell, now that would be a find.lol

tinpan

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
LOL @ Live to Play and Northeast!! :D :D Gypsy gal gave good advice.....Most of all have a safe and fun experience!! AND SHARE YOUR FINDS WITH LOTS OF PICTURES!!!! ;D

Happy Hunting,
Moon

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some users of the Ace250 report coin finds at 8 inches, sometimes even a little more, depending on soil conditions and how long the coin's been in the ground. I don't know if this is an exaggeration but I do know that it isn't unreasonable. I occasionally found coins at 6" with my 1980's Sears / White's 6000 D. That was in Disc mode with high setting, so I only dug the really solid tones. I'd imagine the Garrett Ace250 goes a little deeper than this, being newer and more advanced.

If you can make a good impression and leave minimal traces from digging (I'm sure you will do a nice job ;) ) then you should be able to hunt this place productively for quite a while. But, uh, if you need any help or coaching, you can always invite me along ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread