Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big heavy silver sure is nice! This year it's been difficult getting out. Refurbishing our house since January. I have detected less than a half dozen times. Today I went to a new park for me, and not ten steps in a great tone, and solid 91-92 on the F75. Had to be good! Of course, it was tight up against the underside of a root about 4 inches down, and I had no idea what I had until the hard packed clayey sand was chiseled out.

Here's a couple pics with her on top of the root. NCM_0204.JPGNCM_0202.JPG

A better couple of shots with the coin rinsed off, then after soaking in boiling water and baking soda ( 6 cycles ).IMG_3549.JPGIMG_3550.JPGIMG_3561.JPGIMG_3563.JPGIMG_3564.JPG

She's in real good shape for her age.

A couple of weeks after we moved in, I managed to get a couple hours detecting around our house for the first time, and found this ( plus clad, of course, and trash, through a carpet of iron ). A "Holed" 1943 Australian Florin. Go figure. From what I found, these were .925 silver! The equivalent of about .30 to .35 cents U.S. at the time.IMG_3555.JPGIMG_3557.JPG

And last, a short trip to another park a couple months ago gave the usual clad, trash, and a couple of silver rings.IMG_3558.JPG

Those are my finds worth showing for the year so far, plus about 10 bucks in clad.

Thanks for looking.

Upvote 80
Hey Truth they are still out there. I dug one from a football field that was built in 1965. The Morgan was only 4 inches down and a few of us hypothesized it was used by a referee as a heads or tail coin at the beginning of the game. It was a great Christmas Eve Day (2016) hunt since I also dug my 1st class ring during the same hunt. I did find the owner a few states away and he told me to keep the ring.

View attachment 1589658

That’s awesome Loco what a day that must of been. I did find a 1829 8 Reales in a sidewalk strip at 6 months detecting. I’ve been chasing that high ever since. IMG_1998.JPGIMG_1997.JPG

Thanks Dirtlooter. Yeah, as a matter of fact they were. About two feet apart. I was thinking the same thing. Same person lost them. I have gone back to that park a few times, and there is a lot of clad still in the ground, but I haven't found any more rings. The flying, biting bugs are really bad there, but I will go back. Just have to remember the Deet.

Now that's some nice big OLD silver Truth! A beautiful coin.

Every time I see one of these I think “How the HELL does someone lose something that big?” That is amazing and definitely high on the list for this guy.

Every time I see one of these I think “How the HELL does someone lose something that big?” That is amazing and definitely high on the list for this guy.

I went back to the same spot yesterday, and hit it pretty hard. I feel fairly sure they only lost one on that piece of sloping ground. Two hours of cans, tabs, clad and deer flies chewing on me. I would have stayed longer, but was giving up too much blood.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back