1901 House - Some cool relics - Religious locket?

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At lunch today, I hit the 1901 house that I just got permission to hunt last week.
Sunny, 60's, and soft dirt. Ahhhh. ;) My only coin so far was a lousy memorial penny. :'( There are a ton of signals on this property. Lots of iron (plow pieces) and other asst'd metal. Unfortunately, I am getting a lot of interference in the front yard area (power lines? satellite dish?) where I was hoping to find coins.
I was able to dig these relics though. Some date into the 1800's.
One piece that I am excited about is the religious looking piece that I almost tossed thinking it was junk. Glad I kept it. :o
Here's my lunch finds:

*Religious piece of jewelry with crosses and a Firebird looking image on both the front and back.
Any input on this piece would be appreciated.

*A neat stamped copper piece with art deco design of a young lady. (I may mount this piece above my bed? ::) )

*A balance (scale) face plate with 1800's dates on it.

*Lantern piece w/knob dated Jan. 15, 1883.

*Cosmetic compact piece (George W. Loft Company)

*A heart shaped something or other. (Looks like a heel)

*Lamp topper (?).

Nothing amazing, but what the heck.
Thanks for looking.
-MM-

Attachments

• 1901 house.JPG
    1901 house.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 1,011
  • 1901 house.JPG
    1901 house.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 1,006
  • MVC-009S.JPG
    MVC-009S.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 1,008
  • MVC-010S.JPG
    MVC-010S.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,015
  • MVC-011S.JPG
    MVC-011S.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,017
  • MVC-012S.JPG
    MVC-012S.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,003
  • MVC-013S.JPG
    MVC-013S.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 998
  • MVC-014S.JPG
    MVC-014S.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,008
  • MVC-015S.JPG
    MVC-015S.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 994
  • MVC-016S.JPG
    MVC-016S.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,009
  • MVC-017S.JPG
    MVC-017S.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,009
Upvote 0

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes
Really cool Religious piece and thanks for posting a picture of the site, it looks like a good spot and I'm sure you'll find more!

Lonnie

Slabman

Jan 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
XLT, Quattro, X-Terra, Sovreign, Whites Goldmaster
Hey MM,
There are most definitely some old coins there! The age of the stuff your finding
would lean towards some nice turn of the century coins. Keep at it, and they'll show
up!!

HH Slabman

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.
great finds,that is a good looking spot.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can tell when a site hasn't been hunted. . . always such a great variety of neat things!

There's got to be a lot more cool stuff there. . . HH!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some cool finds, MM. I really like that art decor, that's really neat. I think the compact thing is a rouge compact...I googled George W. Loft Co (candy co) & George W. Luft Co (cosmetics). The religious thingie is neat too, I would like to find out what it really is. Hopefully someone will be able to ID it for you. Looks like a good potential spot for finding more stuff. Good Luck.

;) RR

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Some cool stuff you found. That looks liks a change purse frame. Does the top open up?
Joe

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oneveteran said:
Some cool stuff you found. That looks liks a change purse frame. Does the top open up?
Joe

Joe,
I couldn't really see where it would come apart. I'll go check it out closer. Maybe it does open?
Thanks,
MM

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
i like the old brass heart heel plate :) i have dug and sold a few of them on ebay . hearts and/ 3 leaf clover ones great finds / you gota hit that place a few more times :) look on ebay in civil war heel plates and you will see some i got close to 50 bucks each i think / i bet you find some old civil war buttons if you keep going back goodluck /relic

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some neat finds MM--A good hunt--Lots mote there I bet.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RELICDUDE07 said:
i like the old brass heart heel plate :) i have dug and sold a few of them on ebay . hearts and/ 3 leaf clover ones great finds / you gota hit that place a few more times :) look on ebay in civil war heel plates and you will see some i got close to 50 bucks each i think / i bet you find some old civil war buttons if you keep going back goodluck /relic

Thanks RD.
What was the purpose of a heel plate? How old do you think this one could be?
-MM-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Doug,

What No Golden Rats... :P :P :P

My friend that site is on the mark...What a heck of a way to spend lunch...Geeesh I had Bologna... :P :P :P

Nice digs my friend...SWEET,

Nick

BTW 2 rats for Nicky... :-*

Thanks Nick.
Hopefully there is at least ONE silver coin at this spot for me. I was hoping I would find my first Barber before the years over.
I pass by a Chuck E. Cheese pizza place on the way home from work every day. Let me know if you want some more of those CC tokens. :D
-Doug-

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Great Finds! With old relics like that, there's got to be some old coins there. I guess you tried turning doen the gain or sensitivity on the machine to try and cut down the interference? Who knows, maybe next time it won't be as bad.

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
just a guess on heel plate make the shoe heels last longer?i see them all the time on ebay as civil war heel plates thats what i sold mine under?1860s/ maybe someone in civil war site on here can tell you more/goodluck relic

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bookfisher said:
Great Finds! With old relics like that, there's got to be some old coins there. I guess you tried turning doen the gain or sensitivity on the machine to try and cut down the interference? Who knows, maybe next time it won't be as bad.

My Tesoro only has two knobs, so it's a pretty basic machine. I've had the same thing happen to me once before when I was at a farm that had electric fencing all over the place. At this house it just seems to happen in the front yard only. There is a satellite dish close by. Maybe that's causing it? I'm not giving up though. ;D
-MM-

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8) Great relics, MM! Love the heel plate too! :o Could the bird on the jewely piece be a dove maybe? Like that one too! ;) Those old coins just gotta be there and I know you'll find 'em if they are! ;)

Nana :)

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
bookfisher said:
Great Finds! With old relics like that, there's got to be some old coins there. I guess you tried turning down the gain or sensitivity on the machine to try and cut down the interference? Who knows, maybe next time it won't be as bad.

My Tesoro only has two knobs, so it's a pretty basic machine. I've had the same thing happen to me once before when I was at a farm that had electric fencing all over the place. At this house it just seems to happen in the front yard only. There is a satellite dish close by. Maybe that's causing it? I'm not giving up though. ;D
-MM-

Satellite dishes are passive receivers. The LNA is powered by the receiving equipment at a low, DC voltage so any interference would be caused only by any metallic framework in the dish or dish support structure. It the dish at your site is one of those more modern DIRECT or DISHNET dishes, then you can ignore them as the cause of your problems. Any High Lines in the near area would be all it takes.

As for the other problem of trash and little treasures, try a concentric coil of about 8 1/2 inches or smaller and reduce the Sens setting. DD coils are not as good for discrimination as Concentric coils. Under you Avatar, you list your detector as a Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax with a 9x8 DD coil. The knob on the right side of the Silver Sabre is the Sensitivity control. Turn in down to about "3" and try a search. Tesoro machines have a lot of "gain" and can be turned down some for most searches.

As a note of info for you--the Silver Sabre uMax can use any uMax coil. If you got your machine with the 9x8 DD coil and not the standard 8 1/2" Concentric coil, you really, really should get that 8 1/2" Concentric.

Happy hunting.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice relics for sure.

I like days like those.

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions