1901 House - Some cool relics - Religious locket?

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At lunch today, I hit the 1901 house that I just got permission to hunt last week.
Sunny, 60's, and soft dirt. Ahhhh. ;) My only coin so far was a lousy memorial penny. :'( There are a ton of signals on this property. Lots of iron (plow pieces) and other asst'd metal. Unfortunately, I am getting a lot of interference in the front yard area (power lines? satellite dish?) where I was hoping to find coins.
I was able to dig these relics though. Some date into the 1800's.
One piece that I am excited about is the religious looking piece that I almost tossed thinking it was junk. Glad I kept it. :o
Here's my lunch finds:

*Religious piece of jewelry with crosses and a Firebird looking image on both the front and back.
Any input on this piece would be appreciated.

*A neat stamped copper piece with art deco design of a young lady. (I may mount this piece above my bed? ::) )

*A balance (scale) face plate with 1800's dates on it.

*Lantern piece w/knob dated Jan. 15, 1883.

*Cosmetic compact piece (George W. Loft Company)

*A heart shaped something or other. (Looks like a heel)

*Lamp topper (?).

Nothing amazing, but what the heck.
Thanks for looking.
-MM-

Attachments

• 1901 house.JPG
    1901 house.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 1,011
  • MVC-017S.JPG
    MVC-017S.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,009
  • MVC-016S.JPG
    MVC-016S.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,009
  • MVC-015S.JPG
    MVC-015S.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 994
  • MVC-014S.JPG
    MVC-014S.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,008
  • MVC-013S.JPG
    MVC-013S.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 998
  • MVC-012S.JPG
    MVC-012S.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,003
  • MVC-011S.JPG
    MVC-011S.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,017
  • MVC-010S.JPG
    MVC-010S.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,015
  • MVC-009S.JPG
    MVC-009S.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 1,008
  • 1901 house.JPG
    1901 house.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 1,006
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortstack said:
ModernMiner said:
bookfisher said:
Great Finds! With old relics like that, there's got to be some old coins there. I guess you tried turning down the gain or sensitivity on the machine to try and cut down the interference? Who knows, maybe next time it won't be as bad.

My Tesoro only has two knobs, so it's a pretty basic machine. I've had the same thing happen to me once before when I was at a farm that had electric fencing all over the place. At this house it just seems to happen in the front yard only. There is a satellite dish close by. Maybe that's causing it? I'm not giving up though. ;D
-MM-

Satellite dishes are passive receivers. The LNA is powered by the receiving equipment at a low, DC voltage so any interference would be caused only by any metallic framework in the dish or dish support structure. It the dish at your site is one of those more modern DIRECT or DISHNET dishes, then you can ignore them as the cause of your problems. Any High Lines in the near area would be all it takes.

As for the other problem of trash and little treasures, try a concentric coil of about 8 1/2 inches or smaller and reduce the Sens setting. DD coils are not as good for discrimination as Concentric coils. Under you Avatar, you list your detector as a Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax with a 9x8 DD coil. The knob on the right side of the Silver Sabre is the Sensitivity control. Turn in down to about "3" and try a search. Tesoro machines have a lot of "gain" and can be turned down some for most searches.

As a note of info for you--the Silver Sabre uMax can use any uMax coil. If you got your machine with the 9x8 DD coil and not the standard 8 1/2" Concentric coil, you really, really should get that 8 1/2" Concentric.

Happy hunting.

Shortstack,
Thank you for all the info. I do have the original concentric 8 1/2" coil. I was using the DD coil for greater depth. I will try to turn down the SENS today at lunch and see what happens.
Again, THANK YOU.
-MM-

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Those are some really nice looking old relic, Congrats!!!
Definitely looks to be a great place to hunt.
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RELICDUDE07 said:
just a guess on heel plate make the shoe heels last longer?i see them all the time on ebay as civil war heel plates thats what i sold mine under?1860s/ maybe someone in civil war site on here can tell you more/goodluck relic

These CAN be from the 1860's, but they also can be from later is well. There is no way to know...yet some dishonest folks have been selling them on Ebay as authentic Civil War finds. >:( >:(

That item in the last photo looks like a phoenix rising from the ashes. The cross on its chest could be the "Cross of Lorraine" (if both the crossbeams are of equal length) or the "Patriarchal Cross" (if they are of uneven sizes and the larger of the two is on the bottom). It is a little tough to tell from the environmental damage on the piece. A similar cross appears on the Hungarian coat of arms. This is a good place to start. Is there any hole in the bottom? If it is a lamp-topper, there would be...but I think this piece may have another origin.

Regards,

-Buckleboy

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Cool bunch of finds there, MM!

The makeup tin (your image MVC 014S) looks almost exactly like one I found a few weeks back at one of my town's oldest homes, built in 1892. I'll dig it out and send you a pic.

MP

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
buckleboy?how many yrs did they make them?i wasnt trying to be dishonest i found mine within inchs,next to civil war navy buttons that i could date .did people still use them in 1900s?can we ever find a civil war piece/ first shots were fired where i live. from the books ive read???

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RELICDUDE07 said:
buckleboy?how many yrs did they make them?i wasnt trying to be dishonest i found mine within inchs,next to civil war navy buttons that i could date .did people still use them in 1900s?can we ever find a civil war piece/ first shots were fired where i live. from the books ive read???

My comment above wasn't specifically directed at you. It is just about impossible to say whether or not a specific item is "Civil War" or not. Many folks on this website find minieballs and other items that are frequently associated with the CW in areas completely unrelated to the war. I think such a find could be listed as "Civil War-Era" perhaps, but not a "Civil War" find. Buttons, belt plates, and other uniform-related relics are different. They were made for use in the war. Bullets were not--and Enfields and Springfields were poplular guns at the time. Folks didn't just leave their gun in the field when they returned home from the war--they continued to use it for hunting/defense/etc. Neither were heel plates and toe taps specifically made for war use. They were associated with the war only through the fact that soldiers occasionally used them. A similar example would be if I were to post an 1863 Indian Head Penny that I found in a civilian yard and post it as a "Civil War Cent." That's a bit misleading! Now, odds are that the coin had *something* to do with the war--even if only marginally. It was in a soldier's hands, or used to pay for weapons or finance the war, or it was in a veteran's hands in subsequent years... Now I am under the impression that these heel plates with heart designs were made from the mid-19th century up until closer to the 20th century--but maybe someone else with more information will weigh in on the date range for this item... Anyhow, I trust that you can see the difficulty of saying that anything is most certainly "Civil War" except for buttons, buckles, plates, company letters, etc., as well as projectiles made solely during the war years. Even finds in campsites are frequently from later eras. It has taken me a long time to learn that just because two finds are close together doesn't mean they're necessarily related.

Regards,

Buckleboy

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
your right buckleboy/i found a /flag of our union token dated 1863.army.navy on back that help me think it was to that time frame with mine? great find m.m./and gota be more things to date the site ;)

Attachments

• Picture or Video 002.jpg
    Picture or Video 002.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 526

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great stuff MM, that house looks like an exciting place to search!

Nat

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
catskillcomics said:
I really like the stamped lady, which I believe falls in the Art Nouveau catagory, 1890 - 1914 era.. a beautiful piece!!

Now that's more like it. That era makes more sense to me on this piece. Thanks for that info Catskill.
-MM-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
RELICDUDE07 said:
just a guess on heel plate make the shoe heels last longer?i see them all the time on ebay as civil war heel plates thats what i sold mine under?1860s/ maybe someone in civil war site on here can tell you more/goodluck relic

These CAN be from the 1860's, but they also can be from later is well. There is no way to know...yet some dishonest folks have been selling them on Ebay as authentic Civil War finds. >:( >:(

That item in the last photo looks like a phoenix rising from the ashes. The cross on its chest could be the "Cross of Lorraine" (if both the crossbeams are of equal length) or the "Patriarchal Cross" (if they are of uneven sizes and the larger of the two is on the bottom). It is a little tough to tell from the environmental damage on the piece. A similar cross appears on the Hungarian coat of arms. This is a good place to start. Is there any hole in the bottom? If it is a lamp-topper, there would be...but I think this piece may have another origin.

Regards,
-Buckleboy

Thanks BB.
No hole on the bottom. It's definitely a piece of jewelry. Part of the ring on the top is still there.
-MM-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
RELICDUDE07 said:

Regards,

-Buckleboy

BB,
Here's a couple more pictures. Hopefully you can see the crosses.
-MM-

Attachments

• MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 466
  • MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 475
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
RELICDUDE07 said:
Buckleboy?how many yrs did they make them?i wasnt trying to be dishonest i found mine within inchs,next to civil war navy buttons that i could date .did people still use them in 1900s? can we ever find a civil war piece/ first shots were fired where i live. from the books ive read???

My comment above wasn't specifically directed at you. It is just about impossible to say whether or not a specific item is "Civil War" or not. Many folks on this website find minieballs and other items that are frequently associated with the CW in areas completely unrelated to the war. I think such a find could be listed as "Civil War-Era" perhaps, but not a "Civil War" find. Buttons, belt plates, and other uniform-related relics are different. They were made for use in the war. Bullets were not--and Enfields and Springfields were poplular guns at the time. Folks didn't just leave their gun in the field when they returned home from the war--they continued to use it for hunting/defense/etc. Neither were heel plates and toe taps specifically made for war use. They were associated with the war only through the fact that soldiers occasionally used them. A similar example would be if I were to post an 1863 Indian Head Penny that I found in a civilian yard and post it as a "Civil War Cent." That's a bit misleading! Now, odds are that the coin had *something* to do with the war--even if only marginally. It was in a soldier's hands, or used to pay for weapons or finance the war, or it was in a veteran's hands in subsequent years... Now I am under the impression that these heel plates with heart designs were made from the mid-19th century up until closer to the 20th century--but maybe someone else with more information will weigh in on the date range for this item... Anyhow, I trust that you can see the difficulty of saying that anything is most certainly "Civil War" except for buttons, buckles, plates, company letters, etc., as well as projectiles made solely during the war years. Even finds in campsites are frequently from later eras. It has taken me a long time to learn that just because two finds are close together doesn't mean they're necessarily related.

Regards,

Buckleboy

BB,
I have to agree with you. I made the same mistake when I found my first 3-ringer. I called it a "CW bullet", and Montana Jim pointed out that saying that CW "era" would be more correct unless I could prove that there was some CW activity on the site. "Thanks Jim". ;D Later I started finding more bullets, musket balls, over 50 1800's buttons, a cannonball chunk, and many other relics as you know. The troops passed through the area I hunt on an old road only 1/2 mile away, so I'm pretty sure my finds are CW related now.
As far as the heel plate, here is another picture. I'm a very happy camper if it turns out to be from the 1800's.
Great response back.
-MM-

Attachments

• MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 459

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread