1901 TEN D. heart stopper, and more

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Hello and happy weekend to you all!

I got out for a 3 hour hunt, crack of dawn, before going into work today. Another pouch filled day out there for me, so I went into work smiling. I hit two schoolyards, scanning the woodchips, at schools close to my work.

About the title...
I about had a heart attack when a 1901 Ten Dollar gold coin pops out, on a bezel for wearing on a chain. I actually stopped detecting...lol, and sat down, turned off the detector for a while to get my wits back about me. Found it near the edge of the play area about 30 feet away from the swing set and it was just below the surface. What a cool find... but here's the bad news. It's plated, a costume jewelry piece :( . You can see in the "Keepers" photos, on the back near the bottom, the chipped plating and on the front, the shiny plating is completely gone... but it is still gold colored underneath?? For the second time in two weeks, a fake gold coin. ;D Maybe the bezel is real?? as it is not discolored at all, but it's not hallmarked either.

Oh well, I did manage a piece of gold today, a small 14K heart earring. I will probably jinx myself, but this makes a streak of 11 times out in a row finding at least one piece of gold. I also got two nice sterling 925 jewelry pieces. A huge earring and a large pendant with a green cab stone. Nice keepers! I am considering the $10 coin pendant a keeper just because it's so cool and I will remember that find forever.

Lots of other nice finds too. One of the schools was pretty productive, the other not so. One Sac $1 coin, 3 foriegn coins, 2 junk rings, and a ton of other trinket jewelry pieces, including a pretty chain / pendant, and a bracelet and heart pendant. $6.43 in clad and 81 coins. Preety good for 3 hours hunt time.

Thanks for reading and good luck to you all out there. I might get out again tomorrow before work again if the weather holds out. It is suppose to storm.

Big smiles!
BDoo

Attachments

• June 2 T2.jpg
    June 2 T2.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,224
  • June 2 F.jpg
    June 2 F.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,227
  • Keeper F.jpg
    Keeper F.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,211
  • Keepers B.jpg
    Keepers B.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,215
Upvote 0

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes !!!!! I would say you are on a roll but that would be an understatement . Congrats . :)

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, but don't give yourself a heart attack. Then we will all get caught up. ;) Have you installed magnets under the chips at all those parks? Seems like the jewelry is just being pulled off those people. :D I feel for you on the fake gold coins. That's a real heart breaker. Better luck next time.

HH.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
at least it got your adreniline up...you would normally pay $15 for that at a theme park ;)

Good job....your gonna need your own refinary soon for all that gold and silver

HH
-GC

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I guess you did sit down for a bit after finding that coin...But dang it anyhow about it being costume jewelry. I got fooled today also. I'll post it all in a little while. Congrats on all of the great finds. You sure did much better than I did in the wood chips today.

DANGLANGLEY

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bdoo...Think of it this way...you saved a liitle battery power while your heart got a chance to catch up ;) Great find's as alway's,the G&S pile has to be enormous by now!!!!

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Still some good finds, regardless of that gold coin not being real. Keep it up!

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fake or not, I'd take it. It would really look great in my coin display. Great finds all of them!!!

HH, Ringfinder

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds BDoo...yeah I'd say I'd just about die if I saw that too..you never expect to find "fake" coins when you're out MDing!

I had that happen about a month ago when I found that huge goldish ring with the gigantic stone in the wood chips..I literally was gasping for air..After the initial shock I realized it was just too big to be real and later found it was 18K gold electroplate >:( What a bummer! But it seems many of us have the same attitude about what we find (or don't find) and realize it's the thrill of the hunt that keeps us going, and just being able to walk and breath clean air makes you feel glad to be alive..

WTG on another great hunt!

Nat

littleton

Feb 25, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5
Looks like you had a great day! I wonder how that 22 shell got in a play area? :o

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bdoo,
I would have soiled myself on that 1901 gold coin!!! Man, what a neat find even if it's not real.
You made a big haul Dude. That pendant with the green stone is very nice too.
Way to go.
-MM-

coinseeker

Apr 26, 2007
Montana
Detector(s) used
dfx
Boobydoo said:
Hello and happy weekend to you all!

I got out for a 3 hour hunt, crack of dawn, before going into work today. Another pouch filled day out there for me, so I went into work smiling. I hit two schoolyards, scanning the woodchips, at schools close to my work.

About the title...
I about had a heart attack when a 1901 Ten Dollar gold coin pops out, on a bezel for wearing on a chain. I actually stopped detecting...lol, and sat down, turned off the detector for a while to get my wits back about me. Found it near the edge of the play area about 30 feet away from the swing set and it was just below the surface. What a cool find... but here's the bad news. It's plated, a costume jewelry piece :( . You can see in the "Keepers" photos, on the back near the bottom, the chipped plating and on the front, the shiny plating is completely gone... but it is still gold colored underneath?? For the second time in two weeks, a fake gold coin. ;D Maybe the bezel is real?? as it is not discolored at all, but it's not hallmarked either.

Oh well, I did manage a piece of gold today, a small 14K heart earring. I will probably jinx myself, but this makes a streak of 11 times out in a row finding at least one piece of gold. I also got two nice sterling 925 jewelry pieces. A huge earring and a large pendant with a green cab stone. Nice keepers! I am considering the $10 coin pendant a keeper just because it's so cool and I will remember that find forever.

Lots of other nice finds too. One of the schools was pretty productive, the other not so. One Sac $1 coin, 3 foriegn coins, 2 junk rings, and a ton of other trinket jewelry pieces, including a pretty chain / pendant, and a bracelet and heart pendant. $6.43 in clad and 81 coins. Preety good for 3 hours hunt time.

Thanks for reading and good luck to you all out there. I might get out again tomorrow before work again if the weather holds out. It is suppose to storm.

Big smiles!..................................Wow-- neat finds WTG
BDoo

R

RUDY2003

Pretty nice schools you got there. The gold would have made me scream...

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Shucks, just stick it in a yardsale bunch of jewelry and mark $50 and maybe someone won't look and you get enough to almost by you a small 1/10th gold eagle.

Burt

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
That gold coin would have stopped me as well. Maybe you should do a google search and see if you can find out who makes a pendant like that.

In any case. I'd say you had a great day of metal detecting!

Congratulations!

Ridley

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions