1901 TEN D. heart stopper, and more

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Hello and happy weekend to you all!

I got out for a 3 hour hunt, crack of dawn, before going into work today. Another pouch filled day out there for me, so I went into work smiling. I hit two schoolyards, scanning the woodchips, at schools close to my work.

About the title...
I about had a heart attack when a 1901 Ten Dollar gold coin pops out, on a bezel for wearing on a chain. I actually stopped detecting...lol, and sat down, turned off the detector for a while to get my wits back about me. Found it near the edge of the play area about 30 feet away from the swing set and it was just below the surface. What a cool find... but here's the bad news. It's plated, a costume jewelry piece :( . You can see in the "Keepers" photos, on the back near the bottom, the chipped plating and on the front, the shiny plating is completely gone... but it is still gold colored underneath?? For the second time in two weeks, a fake gold coin. ;D Maybe the bezel is real?? as it is not discolored at all, but it's not hallmarked either.

Oh well, I did manage a piece of gold today, a small 14K heart earring. I will probably jinx myself, but this makes a streak of 11 times out in a row finding at least one piece of gold. I also got two nice sterling 925 jewelry pieces. A huge earring and a large pendant with a green cab stone. Nice keepers! I am considering the $10 coin pendant a keeper just because it's so cool and I will remember that find forever.

Lots of other nice finds too. One of the schools was pretty productive, the other not so. One Sac $1 coin, 3 foriegn coins, 2 junk rings, and a ton of other trinket jewelry pieces, including a pretty chain / pendant, and a bracelet and heart pendant. $6.43 in clad and 81 coins. Preety good for 3 hours hunt time.

Thanks for reading and good luck to you all out there. I might get out again tomorrow before work again if the weather holds out. It is suppose to storm.

Big smiles!
BDoo

Attachments

• June 2 T2.jpg
    June 2 T2.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,224
  • June 2 F.jpg
    June 2 F.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,227
  • Keeper F.jpg
    Keeper F.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,211
  • Keepers B.jpg
    Keepers B.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,215
Upvote 0

nealb

Jan 2, 2007
Omaha, NE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 and Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, BDoo. Yea, that coin would've made me skip a beat as well.

HH

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have that 10 dollar checked. If it is gold colored underneath could it be real and just had been plated to make it shine better for jewelry purposed?

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i kind of agree with cutler, i'd check into that 1901 to see if it might have been plated for jewelry purpose's, great find bdoo ! ;)

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Nobody on this site finds more valuable stuff than you. This includes those in the old country.

Congrats on the great finds and after 40 years I'm still looking for my first gold coin.

Badger

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
Super congrats Bobbydoo, that's the last trophy I've been waiting to find and I don't care if it's in a ring a pendant or just loose. I want one. Very nice. HH

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
birdman said:
Holy smokes !!!!! I would say you are on a roll but that would be an understatement . Congrats . :)

Thanks Birdman, great to have you back home again buddy!
My hard work pays off again. I enjoy those days when I find so much trinket jewelry items. They aren't valuable, but it's fun finding them and seeing the variety as they are interesting. Thanks again!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Sheldius said:
Nice finds, but don't give yourself a heart attack. Then we will all get caught up. ;) Have you installed magnets under the chips at all those parks? Seems like the jewelry is just being pulled off those people. :D I feel for you on the fake gold coins. That's a real heart breaker. Better luck next time.

HH.

Love those free "rushes" huh. lol
You are cracking me up with your magnet comment... silly...
almost all the jewelry in non ferrous ::) ;D ;D
I try not to question why I keep finding so much junk jewelry and other things, I just keep dooing what I doo. My old trusty Garrett machine almost always comes through for me and really... I am just happy to be out plus I really enjoy sharing here and seeing everyones elses finds. It's all inspirational.

Thanks for stopping in Sheldius! Good luck to you!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
goldencoin said:
at least it got your adreniline up...you would normally pay $15 for that at a theme park ;)

Good job....your gonna need your own refinary soon for all that gold and silver

HH
-GC

lol, funnt GC!! Thanks for the awesome relpy!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
DANGLANGLEY said:
Wow, I guess you did sit down for a bit after finding that coin...But dang it anyhow about it being costume jewelry. I got fooled today also. I'll post it all in a little while. Congrats on all of the great finds. You sure did much better than I did in the wood chips today.

DANGLANGLEY

Thanks for read and friendly comment Danglangley!! I'll take it anyway, it's still a really cool find. I have been fortunate enough to find two authentic US gold coins in my TH'ing career so far so I guess if a had never found any, it would "hurt" a bit more. All good stuff!

Smiles!
Bdoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
civilman1 said:
Bdoo...Think of it this way...you saved a liitle battery power while your heart got a chance to catch up ;) Great find's as alway's,the G&S pile has to be enormous by now!!!!

Hiya CM!! Yes, the treasure chest is filling up now and if I am kucky enough, it will rival last year's pile. Thanks for the comment my friend! Good luck to you out there!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Prober said:
Still some good finds, regardless of that gold coin not being real. Keep it up!

Hi Bob, thanks buddy, yep, I agree 100%. It's a blessing just to be out there dooing something I enjoy... my mental health break. Good luck to you my friend!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
ringfinder said:
Fake or not, I'd take it. It would really look great in my coin display. Great finds all of them!!!

HH, Ringfinder

I love it too Ringfinder. I really enjoyed seeing your display too. You have a nice pile of treasures!! Thanks for the read and comment.

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Natman said:
Great finds BDoo...yeah I'd say I'd just about die if I saw that too..you never expect to find "fake" coins when you're out MDing!

I had that happen about a month ago when I found that huge goldish ring with the gigantic stone in the wood chips..I literally was gasping for air..After the initial shock I realized it was just too big to be real and later found it was 18K gold electroplate >:( What a bummer! But it seems many of us have the same attitude about what we find (or don't find) and realize it's the thrill of the hunt that keeps us going, and just being able to walk and breath clean air makes you feel glad to be alive..

WTG on another great hunt!

Nat

I still enjoy those heart stoppers, whether it be like this or a diamond ring looking junk ring, what a rush! We are blessed to be out there and tho have good MDing friends like you. Good luck Nat. Get another gold ring soon!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
dave-enc said:
Terrific day Bdoo wtg, you are tearing the north up
hh
dave+bobbie

Just trying to keep up with you two, you and Bobbie are an inspiration and I am glad you share your finds here. Thanks Dave!

Hi Bobbie :-*

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
littleton said:
Looks like you had a great day! I wonder how that 22 shell got in a play area? :o

Hi Littleton!

Thank you for the nice comment.
Surprizingly, I find a spent bullet, a live bullet, or a shell at almost every school I hunt it seems. My detector is very sensative to both lead and brass shells. I guess there are a lot of guns in the US and ammo is around so kids play with them.

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
ModernMiner said:
Bdoo,
I would have soiled myself on that 1901 gold coin!!! Man, what a neat find even if it's not real.
You made a big haul Dude. That pendant with the green stone is very nice too.
Way to go.
-MM-

Thanks MM... it was a huge rush, lucky I didn't have to go or it would have flowed out I think. Good luck to you out there.

Smiles!
BDoo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread