1901 TEN D. heart stopper, and more

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Hello and happy weekend to you all!

I got out for a 3 hour hunt, crack of dawn, before going into work today. Another pouch filled day out there for me, so I went into work smiling. I hit two schoolyards, scanning the woodchips, at schools close to my work.

About the title...
I about had a heart attack when a 1901 Ten Dollar gold coin pops out, on a bezel for wearing on a chain. I actually stopped detecting...lol, and sat down, turned off the detector for a while to get my wits back about me. Found it near the edge of the play area about 30 feet away from the swing set and it was just below the surface. What a cool find... but here's the bad news. It's plated, a costume jewelry piece :( . You can see in the "Keepers" photos, on the back near the bottom, the chipped plating and on the front, the shiny plating is completely gone... but it is still gold colored underneath?? For the second time in two weeks, a fake gold coin. ;D Maybe the bezel is real?? as it is not discolored at all, but it's not hallmarked either.

Oh well, I did manage a piece of gold today, a small 14K heart earring. I will probably jinx myself, but this makes a streak of 11 times out in a row finding at least one piece of gold. I also got two nice sterling 925 jewelry pieces. A huge earring and a large pendant with a green cab stone. Nice keepers! I am considering the $10 coin pendant a keeper just because it's so cool and I will remember that find forever.

Lots of other nice finds too. One of the schools was pretty productive, the other not so. One Sac $1 coin, 3 foriegn coins, 2 junk rings, and a ton of other trinket jewelry pieces, including a pretty chain / pendant, and a bracelet and heart pendant. $6.43 in clad and 81 coins. Preety good for 3 hours hunt time.

Thanks for reading and good luck to you all out there. I might get out again tomorrow before work again if the weather holds out. It is suppose to storm.

Big smiles!
BDoo

Attachments

• June 2 T2.jpg
    June 2 T2.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,224
  • June 2 F.jpg
    June 2 F.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,227
  • Keeper F.jpg
    Keeper F.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,211
  • Keepers B.jpg
    Keepers B.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,215
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
RUDY2003 said:
Pretty nice schools you got there. The gold would have made me scream...

I did scream a little bit.. a woooowhoooo for sure.
Thanks Rudy!!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
BlueShadow said:
OK BDoo ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! Plated HUH? What a bummer :) Will you adopt me?
I'm housebroken (er sorta) and I can sing and dance and I play a mean tambourine ;)
Way to go again buddy. besides it's a good way to get your heart "kick started"
Congrats on fine post
HH
Blue

Hi Blue

You are totally cracking me up buddy. I would like a new brother...but no more kids (got my hands full there...lol). Thank you for all the great comments Blue!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
wildrider said:
Shucks, just stick it in a yardsale bunch of jewelry and mark $50 and maybe someone won't look and you get enough to almost by you a small 1/10th gold eagle.

Burt

lol, good idea! Thanks for the read and comment!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Ridley said:
That gold coin would have stopped me as well. Maybe you should do a google search and see if you can find out who makes a pendant like that.

In any case. I'd say you had a great day of metal detecting!

Congratulations!

Ridley

That's a great idea Ridley. I will post an update if I find anything out. Thanks for the cool comment!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
l.cutler said:
I would have that 10 dollar checked. If it is gold colored underneath could it be real and just had been plated to make it shine better for jewelry purposed?

I will weigh it at work tomorrow, that will give a good indication. I can get to actual weight it should be out of the Red Book ...it doesn't feel heavy enough to be real? Thanks for the good idea!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
weasel606 said:
i kind of agree with cutler, i'd check into that 1901 to see if it might have been plated for jewelry purpose's, great find bdoo ! ;)

Thanks a lot W!!
We'll see, I will check it out.

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Michigan Badger said:
Nobody on this site finds more valuable stuff than you. This includes those in the old country.

Congrats on the great finds and after 40 years I'm still looking for my first gold coin.

Badger

Thanks for the super nice comment Badger. I am just out there dooing what I enjoy dooing. Appreciate the sentiment buddy. Good luck to you out there neighbor!

Smiles!
BDoo

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Great job BDoo.

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another excellent haul, BDoo! I can't believe how much stuff you found in only 3 hours. If we ever get over to the east side of the state for any reason you gotta believe I'll be visiting some playgrounds. :)

Keep digging and HH.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bummer on the fake gold but still a nice hunt and finds! HH, Mike

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They say that '3rd times a charm', well in this case lets hope its not a charm but a gold coin :D

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! What a great day. Nothing like filling that Treasure chest with the shiny stuff is there ;D

mikesand

Feb 5, 2007
SE bucks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
BH Lonestar/ BH Pinpointer
Teknetics Liberator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey B-doo,

that green stone in the pendant is malachite, if you didn't know.
great job.
HH
mike

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
That was one productive hunt.......fake or not, that gold piece find is nice! WTG.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread