1914 Porcelain Alabama License Plate

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
this is trash dump find. it was buried standing straight up about a foot deep to the top. at first i thought it was just a piece of tin so i tried to pry it out with my shovel and i think i messed up some of the porcelain. once i got far enough down to see it had writing on it i thought it was a sign of some kind so i took it a little easier on the excavation. live and learn i suppose. I did a little research and Alabama only made porcelain plates 4 years...1912 - 1915 and the color determines the year....this is one is 1914 and there were 8200 plates issued that year

Attachments

• MVC-024S.JPG
    MVC-024S.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 570
  • MVC-025S.JPG
    MVC-025S.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 633
  • MVC-026S.JPG
    MVC-026S.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 552
  • MVC-027S.JPG
    MVC-027S.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 541
Upvote 0

CashIsKing

Mar 26, 2009
Bay City, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Re: Porcelain Alabama Liscense Plate

Thats really cool my dad used to collect license plates way back when i dont ever thing he had one that old but i could be wrong, nice find....
HH
CashIsKing

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1914 Porcelain Alabama Liscense Plate

WTG Marty, that is a good relic, you might want to try and clean it carefully and perhaps spray it with a clear lacquer to prevernt further deterioration, I would if it were mine, but not sure that is standard procedure for old plates or not, but probably better than doing nothing.

OR, soak in (warm at first) distilled water for a couple days, and then dry thoroughly, then maybe find out what to protect it with...........

Don

OP
OP
Marty-Graw

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
thx don i will try to do something to it....found a guy that erstores them for about $25 ...may go that route

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's just too kewl, Smarty Marty! 8) And a belated happy birthday to ya!! Hope it was a good 'un!

happy birthday gold glitter.gif

Nana :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread