1915, 1916 Silver.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
A little late posting this but hey, better late than never.

I tried to hook up with Dan for a ā€˜berg hunt but our schedules didnā€™t match. Also, Nate had other plans. Anyway, solo I went for a few hours. I cleared some brush and within the first hour I found 3 silver coins and a silver spoon. ;D

3silverdirty480.jpg

The Merc was all caked over with dirt so I couldnā€™t see the date. On the drive home I was thinking that it could be a 1916D. $$$$$. Well when I got home and started cleaning the coins I started to see what looked like a 1916! Immediately time appeared to stand still and I was oblivious to everything else. I cleaned it some more and verified it was a 1916 in excellent shape. I flipped it over and carefully cleaned the back. My out of body experience ended when I didnā€™t see the D. Still a nice find. :) Itā€™s the first 1916 Nate and I have found.

1916merc400.jpg

The silver spoon turned out to be a nice find. It has a patent date of 1909 and dated 1915.

SpoonCompositeA.jpg

The rest of the stuff:

silverandwheats800.jpg

Finally, a picture of the girl who broke my heart. :'( She no longer has any interest in metal detecting. Never mind she was only 11 and only did it for about a month or two. ;) :D Maybe some day she will returnā€¦. My daughter just tuned 16 and Iā€™m sure this is what she was wishing before blowing out her candles. ;D

Racheledit.jpg

HH all,

Bob

Upvote 0

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
Beautiful find pics. I would love to find some "wilver" like that! I hit a house last night that was very old. I found an old pillbox (?) lid from probably the 40's and lots of other farm type junk. NO COINS though. Man, I don't know what the heck I am doing wrong with my XLT!

As far as the one who broke your heart...never fear, you have forged the metal detecting bond with her. Now that she has been exposed to it, she will always have an interest in it. Very nice pics! Congratulations!

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the great finds!

My 14 year old daughter thinks I'm such a nerd these days, but I think she'll come around and at least have an appreciation for history when she's older. Where there's life, there's hope! :D

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds Bob,

That is a nice 16. I haven't found the D yet. I don't think many people have. You never know though.

Yeah girls will just about take you away from anything at that age. Now I'm older I'd like to be doing the opposite more. Less women more fun and hunting.

He'll be back around. Tough time growing up at 17. When he's in his 20's and settled in he'll be back out again all the time.

Take care,

Jeremy

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Baldingboy said:
Beautiful find pics. I would love to find some "wilver" like that! I hit a house last night that was very old. I found an old pillbox (?) lid from probably the 40's and lots of other farm type junk. NO COINS though. Man, I don't know what the heck I am doing wrong with my XLT!

As far as the one who broke your heart...never fear, you have forged the metal detecting bond with her. Now that she has been exposed to it, she will always have an interest in it. Very nice pics! Congratulations!

Don't give up so easily on that old house. Give it at least another hunt or two. As long as you are finding "stuff" there should be some decent coins there. As long as you have some confidence in your machine.

Bob

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Good job, dude! I once found a 1916 Merc dime, but I had to draw in the "D" to try and pass it off. Too bad I used a purple marker...it must have been too egregious. :D

Happy Belated Birthday to daughter Mirage. :D :D

Go search for more old wilver!

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Nice coins and silver spoon, Bob!

As always, the photos are beautiful!

Happy sweet 16! Be it 1916, or just 16! :D

Congratulations!

Ridley

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Bud

"1916 Wilver is always nice"

"birthdays are always nice"

"teenagers are always nice"

"cutting brush is always nice"

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob,
What a cool post. Cleaning that Merc coin was probably like watching them call 5 out of 6 of your numbers on a lottery ticket. :'(
This a VERY nice Merc. Congrats on all your finds.
Sorry Nate didn't make it, but I'm pretty sure I would have gone for the girls too instead of going MDing. ;)
Like father like son though, you were both working on great finds. ;D
You have a beautiful looking daughter too. (Keep Kirk away)
Maybe if you can find a detector that has an IPOD and cell phone attachment on it, she may go? ;D
Great post,
MM

ZoSo71

Nov 5, 2006
Somewhere near Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX / Modded BH Land Star
Very Nice finds Mirage...

I think clearing the brush is paying off pretty well.

My 4 year old daughter loves to hunt with me, Until she sees a swing-set or something else more attractive.. So iv'e been solo myself this summer....

Pfttt..Pfttt.. Is This Thing On...
ZoSo71

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Bob, you've no doubt caused wheat envy all over this forum with the way they clean up! What great finds; I've found a couple 16's and they are worn way worse. Ah, that elusive D; can you imagine the thrill, especially with the shape that one's in? And that silver spoon is very nice; the best I get are silver plated, with that lovely purple shade beneath. Nice hunt! And don't make fun of Barry; Eddie Murray once looked this way too. ;D

R

RUDY2003

Real pretty silvers Bob. You never can tell, huh...
They do grow up fast...

Keep safe...

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
ModernMiner said:
You have a beautiful looking daughter too. (Keep Kirk away)
Maybe if you can find a detector that has an IPOD and cell phone attachment on it, she may go? ;D
Great post,
MM

I don't think Kirk poses much of a threat unless he keeps the metal detecting thing hidden in the closet. I think one of her dating prescreening questions will be "Do you have any interest whatsoever in metal detecting?" If he even hesitates with the No he will be on the outs. ;D :D

As for getting her to go....Nate has tried to negotiate deals with her and the price has always been way too high. ;D

Dan - Cutting brush is nicer than getting poison ivy. This area has some but doesn't seem to pleniful.

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Terrific batch of coins! Your daughter is at that age..."I'd rather walk to school than have my friends see me riding with my parents". Things improve when they get older, believe me. She still loves you. ;D

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
halfdime said:
Bob, you've no doubt caused wheat envy all over this forum with the way they clean up! What great finds; I've found a couple 16's and they are worn way worse. Ah, that elusive D; can you imagine the thrill, especially with the shape that one's in? And that silver spoon is very nice; the best I get are silver plated, with that lovely purple shade beneath. Nice hunt! And don't make fun of Barry; Eddie Murray once looked this way too. ;D

Henry, Barry is cool. 8) At least he's not scary. :)

Hope to find at least one key date of some coin. Closest to any key dates I have found has been an 1876 IH in very fine condition.

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Pretty good haul on the finds, and congrats on the silver! My son and daughter used to love to go with me. They were my diggers. Now they could care less. They still like seeing all that I find, but they just don't have the time to go any more.

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Great finds!!!!! I sure wish that 16 had a D on it for you...Thats about as close as you can come without finding one. Still a great day WTG!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread