DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took my Son to college on Sat. to IOWA CITY , ( University of Iowa )
On Sunday I took a short side trip on the way back.. The back roads of IOWA.. GRAVEL ROADS for miles.
Stopped at several locations but every farm house that was close to where I wanted to hunt nobody was home...
Most likely at Church...
So what did I do I decided to go to Church, that is to hunt one....
Got permission to hunt a church while church was going on but came up empty handed....
Was at the end of my side trip and hadn't found a thing..
I went down a couple of more roads when I came upon a burnt out house that was still smoldering..
Went down the road to a couple of farms and again no one home.. I said the heck with it I'm going to hunt it.
First hole I dug was a Wheatie Cool..
Second hole I dug was a silver dime..."Cool Come on be a 1916D", I SAID OUT LOUD ... I rubbed away a little dirt where the date is and WOW!!! a 1916 Holy S%#T ...I started to shake ... Rubbed a little where the mint mark should be and again Holy S%$T I saw a mint mark Jezz was I shaking UNTIL

I saw that it was an S mint mark.....Still what a thrill..

About 5 minutes after that a truck pulled into the drive way and the guy asked me what I was looking for?
I told him I was looking for coins.. I explained that I went to a few of the farms down the road to ask for permission but no one was home at any of them..
He told me that he owned it and that I could stay as long I wanted too...The house was built in 1910 and they burnt it down on Sat.... Cool.....Spent about 1 1/2 hours there
and that was the only good find besides a bunch of other wheaties and a silver ring and some change....

SO CLOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• Iowa Road Trip 001.jpg
    Iowa Road Trip 001.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,010
  • Iowa Road Trip 003.jpg
    Iowa Road Trip 003.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 989
  • Iowa Road Trip 004.jpg
    Iowa Road Trip 004.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 984
Upvote 0

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Mirage said:
Bob,
I had a similar experience with a 1916 Merc. But mine didn't even have a mintmark. I can imagine seeing the mint mark.... ;D
Bob

I found one in April. I did not have my glasses on when I found it so I couldn't even see the date. I asked a passerby what date was on it and when he said 1916 I nearly had a cow. I turned it over and asked him to check the back for a small letter "D", and he said he didn't see one, but wasn't sure what he was looking for. I walked a mile back to my car where I had left my glasses, with my heart racing, hoping for the mintmark, but of course there was none. Nice finds just the same!!!

OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
I found one in April. I did not have my glasses on when I found it so I couldn't even see the date. I asked a passerby what date was on it and when he said 1916 I nearly had a cow. I turned it over and asked him to check the back for a small letter "D", and he said he didn't see one, but wasn't sure what he was looking for. I walked a mile back to my car where I had left my glasses, with my heart racing, hoping for the mintmark, but of course there was none. Nice finds just the same!!!

You must have field cleaned it ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
DesPlaines_IL_SilverBob said:
Neil in West Jersey said:

You must have field cleaned it ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hah! Got me! But no, it was actually found in loose sand from a former pond. It came out looking the same as the day it was lost! All it needed was a good rinsing. And yes I did it with tap water, not distilled!!!

Attachments

• 2007_0803Image0006.JPG
    2007_0803Image0006.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 408
  • 2007_0803Image0006.JPG
    2007_0803Image0006.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 407
  • 2007_0803Image0007.JPG
    2007_0803Image0007.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 408
OP
OP