DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took my Son to college on Sat. to IOWA CITY , ( University of Iowa )
On Sunday I took a short side trip on the way back.. The back roads of IOWA.. GRAVEL ROADS for miles.
Stopped at several locations but every farm house that was close to where I wanted to hunt nobody was home...
Most likely at Church...
So what did I do I decided to go to Church, that is to hunt one....
Got permission to hunt a church while church was going on but came up empty handed....
Was at the end of my side trip and hadn't found a thing..
I went down a couple of more roads when I came upon a burnt out house that was still smoldering..
Went down the road to a couple of farms and again no one home.. I said the heck with it I'm going to hunt it.
First hole I dug was a Wheatie Cool..
Second hole I dug was a silver dime..."Cool Come on be a 1916D", I SAID OUT LOUD ... I rubbed away a little dirt where the date is and WOW!!! a 1916 Holy S%#T ...I started to shake ... Rubbed a little where the mint mark should be and again Holy S%$T I saw a mint mark Jezz was I shaking UNTIL

I saw that it was an S mint mark.....Still what a thrill..

About 5 minutes after that a truck pulled into the drive way and the guy asked me what I was looking for?
I told him I was looking for coins.. I explained that I went to a few of the farms down the road to ask for permission but no one was home at any of them..
He told me that he owned it and that I could stay as long I wanted too...The house was built in 1910 and they burnt it down on Sat.... Cool.....Spent about 1 1/2 hours there
and that was the only good find besides a bunch of other wheaties and a silver ring and some change....

SO CLOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• Iowa Road Trip 001.jpg
    Iowa Road Trip 001.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,011
  • Iowa Road Trip 003.jpg
    Iowa Road Trip 003.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 990
  • Iowa Road Trip 004.jpg
    Iowa Road Trip 004.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 985
Upvote 0
Mirage said:
Bob,
I had a similar experience with a 1916 Merc. But mine didn't even have a mintmark. I can imagine seeing the mint mark.... ;D
Bob

I found one in April. I did not have my glasses on when I found it so I couldn't even see the date. I asked a passerby what date was on it and when he said 1916 I nearly had a cow. I turned it over and asked him to check the back for a small letter "D", and he said he didn't see one, but wasn't sure what he was looking for. I walked a mile back to my car where I had left my glasses, with my heart racing, hoping for the mintmark, but of course there was none. Nice finds just the same!!!

Neil in West Jersey said:
I found one in April. I did not have my glasses on when I found it so I couldn't even see the date. I asked a passerby what date was on it and when he said 1916 I nearly had a cow. I turned it over and asked him to check the back for a small letter "D", and he said he didn't see one, but wasn't sure what he was looking for. I walked a mile back to my car where I had left my glasses, with my heart racing, hoping for the mintmark, but of course there was none. Nice finds just the same!!!

You must have field cleaned it ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

DesPlaines_IL_SilverBob said:
Neil in West Jersey said:

You must have field cleaned it ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hah! Got me! But no, it was actually found in loose sand from a former pond. It came out looking the same as the day it was lost! All it needed was a good rinsing. And yes I did it with tap water, not distilled!!!

Attachments

• 2007_0803Image0006.JPG
    2007_0803Image0006.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 409
  • 2007_0803Image0006.JPG
    2007_0803Image0006.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 408
  • 2007_0803Image0007.JPG
    2007_0803Image0007.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 409

Hah! Got me!
[/quote]