1931 S Lincoln Cent Value

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering what a good price to buy this is. It is a strong EF Details coin with some obverse damage. I can get it for $75, but I want second opinions before I take the plunge.

image.jpg

image.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
That does not appear to be damage on the Obverse. It appears to be both a Lamination and De-Lamination Error due to a Planchet flaw. While the $75 is a very good price for a no problem specimen of the same condition, I believe that the Planchet flaw will seriously deter from the value of the coin due to it being a Key Date. Collectors that need a Key Date coin for a collection/set and are not looking for Filler coins, would shy away from purchasing or bidding on the coin. While the Lamination and De-Lamination Error can boost the value of most more common Date coins, they all too often have the Reverse effect on Semi-Key and Key Date coins! Just look at the 1909-S/S "S Over Horizontal S" Variety Lincoln Cent compared to a problem free 1909-S Lincoln Cent. The 1909-S/S "S Over Horizontal S" Variety Lincoln Cent is usually valued at around 10% to 15% below a problem free specimen of the same grade but in reality, when you go to sell a specimen with the Variety, it usually goes for 20% to 40% less.

http://www.pcgs.com/Prices/PriceGui...&SP=1&c=46&title=Lincoln+Cent+(Wheat+Reverse)

Frank

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, I'd pay a little more for a key date without any condition issues.

OP
OP
TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That does not appear to be damage on the Obverse. It appears to be both a Lamination and De-Lamination Error due to a Planchet flaw. While the $75 is a very good price for a no problem specimen of the same condition, I believe that the Planchet flaw will seriously deter from the value of the coin due to it being a Key Date. Collectors that need a Key Date coin for a collection/set and are not looking for Filler coins, would shy away from purchasing or bidding on the coin. While the Lamination and De-Lamination Error can boost the value of most more common Date coins, they all too often have the Reverse effect on Semi-Key and Key Date coins! Just look at the 1909-S/S "S Over Horizontal S" Variety Lincoln Cent compared to a problem free 1909-S Lincoln Cent. The 1909-S/S "S Over Horizontal S" Variety Lincoln Cent is usually valued at around 10% to 15% below a problem free specimen of the same grade but in reality, when you go to sell a specimen with the Variety, it usually goes for 20% to 40% less.

Lincoln Cent (Wheat Reverse) (1909-1958)

Frank

Thank you. That is what I needed to hear. I will be staying away from it at that price.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread