Found my niche- US sovreignty Philippine issues

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone-

I wanted to start collecting coins beyond CRHing and I have decided that I would focus it on a more narrow scale, seeing as how big coin collecting can get. I decided to focus on coins issued by the US government in the Philippines from 1903-1945. I just like the idea of early 20th century US colonialism along with some personal interest in the subject.

I'm looking to buy some slabbed examples now, and use those as specimens to help buy raw coins if I choose to later.

A few questions.

1) I'm looking to start with slabbed specimens. It looks like NGC is the primary grader, with a few from PCGS. I know they're reputable, but PCGS is regarded slightly higher. Is NGC the best player in the foreign issue realm, or are there other graders that are reliable?

2) What grade is considered high quality? I was under the impression that NGC might be a point or two off of compared to PCGS grading, but I figured MS64-65 would be a good place to set the bar. Am I right, or should I be looking higher for the same quality as PCGS MS-64?

3) NGC has some good resources about these coins on their site. Any other sites people know of that are helpful in sourcing and grading these coins?

4) Any advice of other places to start buying?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
IMO, I'd first decide on the extent of my budget for purchases now and ,periodically, in the future. That, in part, will determine how long it will take to create a full, or nearly, full collection of US Philippine coins. Second, to me it would not matter which of the two professional grading sources you mentioned I'd use; the market will adjust itself, but I'd stick with only the two you mentioned NWS there are others.
Third, I'd start with concentrating on only one type until I had the complete collection; like the EARLY half centavo, then moving on to the EARLY one centavo, etc.; and I'd collect nothing less than MS-63.
Fourth, I realize I probably couldn't collect one example of all the issues; some are just too hard to collect (like 'only two known' or the 1906S One Peso at $30k in MS-63.)
Good luck,
Don.....

OP
OP
GlenDronach

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!

That's my plan. Grab some highly graded coins and use them as baselines if I buy raw.

I'd love to complete a set, but I'll be content to get a "mostly full" collection as time goes on. I have plenty of time to get this ball rolling. I'd like to focus on silver coinage (10centavo-peso) but will see where it goes.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction with grading- I know of all the fly by night companies associated with grading coins so I will stick with NGC/PCGS and move into raw only when I'm comfortable.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice from Don. I would add that if you plan on making a complete set in any particular series, save enough to get the key date(s) and keep that money available so that if you see one come up for sale, you can pounce on it. Start by buying a common slabbed coin in the grade you want to have so you have a condition reference. I prefer PCGS myself but I've seen some nice NGC coins too. Insist on good photos from any other grading service or raw pieces if you're buying online. Check your local coins shops and go to a few coin shows if you can. They can be a valuable resource for finding oddball, rare, or uncommon foreign coins. Years ago, I had a good relationship with a local coin dealer who happened to get in a complete high grade Canadian large cent collection. It wasn't his cup of tea so he offered it to me if I wanted it. It was a great looking set that I just couldn't pass up. After evaluating all the individual coins, I found I got them for half of what it would have cost me to buy them one at a time. Good luck on your collection!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread