1st Time Poster

ejolliffe

Greenie
May 10, 2007
Williston, ND
Detector(s) used
will be ACE250
Hi guys, I am new here & this is my first post. I am intrigued by all your finds and am looking at getting a metal detector. Not too expensive but good solid md. Any direction would help. Also I live in North Dakota, USA if anyone has any tips on this area, much would be appreciated. I have always been wanting to do this, now I am!

Recruiter

Oct 13, 2006
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Welcome to the forum. Tons of knowledge and experience on this board.
I only have a couple of months of experience but have learned a lot from by reading and asking questions.
The people on this board are very helpful
HH

Earl

tpmrcp

Dec 31, 2006
East Stroudsburg, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet. For a good beginner machine around 200 dollars try the Garrett Ace 250. I have had mine 5 months and I have found tons of coins and a few rings.

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Hi ej....welcome to the forums. Feel free to add a pic on the mugs page if you want to.

Burt

cottonjim

Jan 12, 2007
S.W. MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Welcome, I just joined the wonderful world of MD'ing this year myself. I purchased a Garrett Ace250 Pro on a friends recomendation and after reading it's good reviews. THe machine has been a joy to work with so far. I would also have to recomend purchasing a pinpointer at the same time, it makes narrowing in on your target so much easier. I bought the Automax Precision V4 and I think it works great. Take a look at user reviews before you buy any machine. Hope I helped and welcome to tnet.

Jim

OP
OP
ejolliffe

ejolliffe

Greenie
May 10, 2007
Williston, ND
Detector(s) used
will be ACE250
thanks guys, I will look into the Ace250. I am trying to research old historical "tales" from early to mid 1800's. I know I am in no place to offer advice, but I have found some interesting 'stories' that even if false, give a person an area to search. Just my two cents (no pun intended!).

PATreasureHunter

Mar 22, 2007
Lititz, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I would also recommend the Garrett Ace250. Mine was $250, and worth every penny. I have found TONS of coins, lots of silver coins, three rings, and tons of other old what-zits and older metal objects. I've never used any other detector, so I can't really compare it with any others.....but I started out like you, and asked around, and everyone suggested the ACE250, and I'm not disappointed. Best of luck, and please feel free to ask tons of questions around here.

Tykit

Jan 20, 2007
Middlesex, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Fisher
Hi, get a detector with manual ground balance so that you can ground balance it to the soil in your part of the country, will detect deeper. Also good to have is 3 or 4 tone audio, coins and silver things will have a high tone, gold rings and pull tabs will have a mid tone, steel items a low tone. A meter ID helps a little to ID the item, they are accurate only on coins, can't tell a gold ring from a pulltab. If you get head phones, they should be at least 30 ohms, my 30 ohm sounds as good as my 150 ohm phones, stay away from cheap 8 ohm, they don't have a clear crisp sound. I would not recommend Radio Shack detectors.

nealb

Jan 2, 2007
Omaha, NE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 and Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet, EJ. I too have an ACE 250 and love it ($213 from Kellyco). It's good on batteries as well. Read about all of the detectors, though, and find the one that is right for you. I think for the money, and features, it's hard to beat from what I've seen.

HH

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
Hey bud shoot me a pm some time. im also here in NoDak. If you are just starting out the 250 is the way to go. hit me up if you need ne help or pointers.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Welcome to T-Net! I see you are already experiencing how helpful everyone is and have gotten some good advice so we will all be looking forward to pictures of the great things you find! :D

MetalFury

May 25, 2006
New Jersey
I also have an ACE250 and I love it! It cost me like $198 with a digger and cheapo headphones. I've found some pretty cool stuff including my favorite find, an 1851 Large Cent. I've found 9 silver rings and 1 gold one, a couple of broken gold bracelets, LOTS of clad and as of right now, 10 silver coins. Plus LOTS of other odds and ends, some really cool, some not so cool. All this and I've only been at it about a year...

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Welcome to T-net. If you are hunting coins look close to sidewalks next to driveways and under old clothes lines. Always ask permision from owners and fix any holes you dig.
Dman

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TN. Great group of folks here, and tons of helpful info.
I personally use a Tesoro Silver Umax (less than $300) and love it. The Garrett Ace250 seems to be a fantastic detector too though.
Looking forward to your future posts.
-MM-

T

TreasureTales

Welcome to TreasureNet and the wonderful world of treasure hunting. It's good to have you with us!

You will need a decent detector to start. The Ace 250 is highly recommended by many. I would suggest you look at other makes just to be sure the Ace is best for you. Some lower priced Tesoros are good and they come with a lifetime warranty. You'll need some good headphones so that the batteries in your detector last longer, you can hear the fainter tones (deeper targets), and your beeping machine doesn't irritate the people around you. You'll need a good digging tool, a probe, and an apron or pockets or something for hauling off the trash you dig up and the goodies you want to keep. You'll also want to become familiar with the Metal Detectorist's Code of Ethics, which are available on the Western & Eastern Treasures website (see top of TNet's home page).

For treasure leads and stories in North Dakota, you have many options.

1) You can buy or borrow the following books:
Thomas Penfield's Treasure Guide: Nebraska, Kansas, North Dakota, South Dakota
Terry Thomas' US Treasure Atlas - Volume 7
And various magazines that have treasure stories for specific states - look for Michael Paul Henson's articles.

2) You can look for the section in TreasureNet that covers treasure leads and legends for individual US states.

3) You can go to your local historical society and ask for information about treasure stories (although you may get some strange and/or dirty looks).

4) You can read obits in your local newspaper and eventually find some leads to old logging camps, mining camps, potential cache sites, etc. (Often obits will mention where the deceased used to work, grew up, whether or not they lived in town, and whether or not they had any heirs - all leading to potentional detecting sites).

5) Actually, there are some good treasure leads in books that have nothing to do with treasure hunting per se. Let your intuition and imagination be your guide to finding treasure leads.

And don't forget to post pictures of your finds. We here at TreasureNet love to see photos!!! Good luck and good hunting.

Lafitte

Apr 20, 2007
Western NC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Sore Legs
Welcome to our jungle!
One thing that I'd recommend, which was recommended to me, get a good pinpointer also. Will save you a lot of time on your knees.
Oh, and it's a rule around here. Post lots of pics of your finds. We like lookin' at trinkets.

jutcor

Apr 8, 2007
Hi from a fellow North Dakotan! Where anout do you hail from? Me..from the eastern side! I also have an ACE 250...great machine so far.
My best advice is check out your local old farmsteads. Remember to ask permission. If you don't know who owns the land find out before detecting. People around these parts seem to be pretty good about letting us dig, but keep it clean and fill ALL holes.

Let me now where about you are and we might beable to help each other out.

ALso there is a Metal Detecting club that is meeting in Grand Rapids the 19th and 20th of this month. Never been but might stop by to see what it is all about. ;)

usagold

Sep 15, 2010
Rapid City, S. Dak.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
ejolliffe - I also have an Ace 250 and love it to pieces. My new much more expensive detecter has not went out
since I got the Ace 250. It is a good detector.

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread