2017-06-06 18.29.55.jpg

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spyguy i really thought you were pulling a joke. I like to save money too. I've got an old Jackson pony shovel with a broken handle. These were forged in Ireland and thick and heavy, sorry to say I've used them for many years. The new ones are made in India and are a crude copy. My brainstorm is to cut a digger out of it. img_0786.jpg Cut the handle end down a little and put a TEE handle or a round knob end in it.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On hard or frozen ground I use a cold chisel, 12" long, and pound it in with a ball peen hammer.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd snap that thing like a toothpick [even with gorilla glue + duct tape !], pony up and get a real tool would be my advice.

WWMFG-TH18-SER-1.jpg

Last edited:

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with your digger.

Too be honest I'd be shocked if it worked, but for $3.00 why not have some fun with it.

I have been using (rather aggressively I might add) the same hori hori knife for 6 years now, and think its the best digger out there.

It cuts into the grass super easy, cuts through roots (with a bit of work mind you), easy to hollow out a hole if the target isn't in the centre of your plug, and it cost me $30.00 (CDN) at the time.

If and when the day comes that it breaks I will likely get another, but I have heard some great things about the Predator Raptor 31C and may give that a go at some point.

The first picture is taken from the web, but is the exact one I use.

Hori Hori.jpg

The second picture is of my kit.

Metal Detecting Toys.jpg

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to use a kiddies beach set. The sandcastle bucket is good for the finds. Nice choice of colours also. A few mods I make are...titanium tube with carbon / kevlar weave on the sand scoop ( diamond coated high carbon tip) . Bucket I just reinforce with rape tape and chicken wire. Held up so far. I will keep you posted when I try and use it.

Chub

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fact that you chose to reinforce it before even using it makes it obvious you know that it's a piece of junk. Don't be surprised that you made a post on your cheapo digger and people are calling it just that. Why not buy something quality and US made, instead of pissing down the back of the American working man by buying Chinese-made junk? It's your choice, I know, but personally, I'll never defend buying something that was made by a ten year old kid that lives in dorm housing and bathes in a rice bowl. In fact, it makes me want to vomit.

If you was a preacher man I'd go to YOUR CHURCH !!! AMEN !

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've bent a Lesche in hard ground so I use a Gator. But if youre not as hard on tools as I am.......

Bent a Lesche? Ok, no disrespect intended but, I have been using Lesche and Predator products for several years. Love them. I have run into circumstances where I pried like HADES on my Lesche and never bent it. That's when I realized plan B might be in order and getting a bigger tool is a better option. Perhaps you were in the field and didn't have another tool. I don't know. I reckon you might be a brute of a man but, still if you realize something isn't going to budge why keep trying? Sorry. I love my USA Made Lesche and stand by it as one of the best tools I have ever used. Good enough for US combat soldiers, Good enough for me.

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Kool Aid tastes good, its sharp enough to cut skin out of the box - sharp enough for me, I'm making a hole in the ground not whittling wood. I have put an insane amount of torque on mine in rocky, hard packed ground without even flexing it.

May I have a cup of Kool Aid brother. I have been out digging with my Lesche and prying like all get out on rocks, roots, hard packed clay, and I could sure use a nice cold cup of Kool Aid!

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May I have a cup of Kool Aid brother. I have been out digging with my Lesche and prying like all get out on rocks, roots, hard packed clay, and I could sure use a nice cold cup of Kool Aid!

Sure, plenty of delicious Kool Aid to go around - drink up! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
S

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006
For anyone who wants to read about the debut of my modified $2.97 Wal-Mart trowel (complete with pictures) check out 'Today's Finds' forum under the heading "All that glitters is not gold...."

For anyone just wanting a summary: SAVE MONEY LIVE BETTER WAL-MART*
HH
-spyguy

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For anyone who wants to read about the debut of my modified $2.97 Wal-Mart trowel (complete with pictures) check out 'Today's Finds' forum under the heading "All that glitters is not gold...."

For anyone just wanting a summary: SCREW AMERICAN MANUFACTURING, PROMOTE CHILD LABOR: WAL-MART*
HH
-spyguy

There, I fixed it for you.

Last edited:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bent a Lesche? Ok, no disrespect intended but, I have been using Lesche and Predator products for several years. Love them. I have run into circumstances where I pried like HADES on my Lesche and never bent it. That's when I realized plan B might be in order and getting a bigger tool is a better option. Perhaps you were in the field and didn't have another tool. I don't know. I reckon you might be a brute of a man but, still if you realize something isn't going to budge why keep trying? Sorry. I love my USA Made Lesche and stand by it as one of the best tools I have ever used. Good enough for US combat soldiers, Good enough for me.

No offense taken, but yes its true; my Lesche started bending after very little use. I had used a Gator for several years and kept reading how everyone loved their Lesche so I got one. I tend to dig a large deep plug and use my trowel to pry to loosen the plug. Granted the ground that day was a bit dry, but I had obviously bitten off more than the Lesche could chew and it started bending at the handle as I was prying. I immediately stopped and worked gently with it the rest of the hunt. Declared the Lesche to belong to my wife (she likes it) and went back to my Gator.

Maybe I got a bad one, but I bought it from a reputable dealer so I kinda doubt that. And fwiw, I am about 6', 170 (ok maybe 175 after a meal), and drawing social security. Most definitely no one as ever called me a brute! :laughing7: Please realize that I am not badmouthing Lesche, just saying that they aren't for everyone as we all have different styles. I tend to use my trowel to pry with. You could accuse me of misusing it and I wouldn't argue- maybe I did. But I require my trowel to handle my style and Lesche couldn't do that. (I have a Predator shovel for field work- I like the company fwiw.)

No one makes perfect anythings; we all have to find what works best for us and our individual styles. (if I wanted to kick another hornet's nest, I would say that I don't like the swingy thingy; I think harnesses are much better...for me).

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

For anyone just wanting a summary: SAVE MONEY LIVE BETTER WAL-MART*
HH
-spyguy

Oh sheesh, spare me.
I'll call BS without even looking.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh sheesh, spare me.
I'll call BS without even looking.

Yeah, as offended as he was, I've been waiting on a glowing report of total success. He didn't disappoint there.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No offense taken, but yes its true; my Lesche started bending after very little use. I had used a Gator for several years and kept reading how everyone loved their Lesche so I got one. I tend to dig a large deep plug and use my trowel to pry to loosen the plug. Granted the ground that day was a bit dry, but I had obviously bitten off more than the Lesche could chew and it started bending at the handle as I was prying. I immediately stopped and worked gently with it the rest of the hunt. Declared the Lesche to belong to my wife (she likes it) and went back to my Gator.

Maybe I got a bad one, but I bought it from a reputable dealer so I kinda doubt that. And fwiw, I am about 6', 170 (ok maybe 175 after a meal), and drawing social security. Most definitely no one as ever called me a brute! :laughing7: Please realize that I am not badmouthing Lesche, just saying that they aren't for everyone as we all have different styles. I tend to use my trowel to pry with. You could accuse me of misusing it and I wouldn't argue- maybe I did. But I require my trowel to handle my style and Lesche couldn't do that. (I have a Predator shovel for field work- I like the company fwiw.)

No one makes perfect anythings; we all have to find what works best for us and our individual styles. (if I wanted to kick another hornet's nest, I would say that I don't like the swingy thingy; I think harnesses are much better...for me).

Ayyeeee! :cat:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...-i-think-i-am-tool-bends-like-wet-noodle.html

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, wet noodle fersure!

Just for the record, I use a different, heavier steel Gator:
https://www.kellycodetectors.com/catalog/sawtooth-gator-digger
btw, I agree with the comments on the plastic breaking thru. I had to put one of those senior knobs that go onto the end of canes to keep from stabbing myself with the back of the handle when I dig. but it spreads the force over more area that way anyhow.

damn, I hope no one thought I was endorsing that noodle thing! And this post should not be construed as endorsing any company that sells 'long range locators'.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread