Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2-Piece "Navy" (or Marine) Buckle found at 1770's house. "Update" Uncle Kenny

Kinda late so I'll write the story tomarrow. Found by my Uncle Kenny Adams who is visiting from Texas. Relic was over 8" down, and found in Hinsdale Ma. at a 1770's house. :headbang: O.K. here's the story: Called Uncle Kenny for a hunt on some property I have permission to hunt. She is one of my customers and a real nice lady. She actually celebrated her 91st on wed. the day of my hunt. So when I picked up Kenny, he got into my truck, and had mentioned he hunted his brothers place, where he stays when up here, earlier in the day. He said he had found something and wanted to show me, as he wasn't quite sure what it was. When he pulled it from his pouch I almost fell out of the truck!! HOLY( something or other and other)......!!!!!! When he told me his brother said "That thing ain't worth squat", I told him that this had to be his best find ever in his 40, (YES 40), years of detecting! I think when I showed him the site that Grasshopper posted for me, it really started to sink in. He is a great guy, and was my dads best friend,( we always called him Uncle Kenny, not really my Uncle) But he is to us. Relic was found in the vacinity of ALL my Banner finds from last year. Seems to be a hot place for relics and coins of this period. I couldn't stop talking about it , all the way to Tyringham. (about 20 miles away). I think I was more excited than him. :laughing7: Some pics of Uncle Kenny at Hogges house with his find!

Attachments

• jy15^001.jpg
    jy15^001.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,410
  • jy15^002.jpg
    jy15^002.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,394
  • Picture 088.jpg
    Picture 088.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 653
  • Picture 089.jpg
    Picture 089.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 660
  • Picture 090.jpg
    Picture 090.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 656
Upvote 1
OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 2-Piece "Navy" (or Marine) Buckle found at 1770's house. ID and Age needed

grasshopper said:
looks a lot like the one all the way at the bottom. that one doesn't have a 2nd piece, though.

http://www.artifacts.org/Fleetpage.htm
WOW!!! Looks exactly like it. Even has the twisted rope on top of the loop. Awesome ID grasshopper!

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Hogge, absolutely wonderful find!!! I was going to guess because of the life ring that surrounds the anchor that this might be a very early example from one of the life saving branches, even Coast Guard, however grasshopper seems to have identified this tentatively as being of Spanish origin. It may still prove to be a lifesaving branch. You have apparently found the first complete example recorded! This is so amazing to have found a complete example of such a fragile antiquity!!! Can't say it enough!!! , This find is fantastic!! and definitely a banner find!!!! :hello2: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

garthbfan169

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Chester County, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW says it all hogge!! Fantastic finds WTG!!! :notworthy: :hello2:

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hogge, give Kenny a high five for me. Outstanding. That's pizzing with the big dogs.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree Spanish, at least that's the ID I seen given to the couple I've seen posted before. (They were not complete if I recall correctly, just the anchor portion)

Now the odd part, I believe the ones I seen were found in the south, one probably from Texas. :icon_scratch:

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's an awesome Spanish buckle :icon_king:

My Banner vote is in :hello2:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks identical to one at the bottom of the page, only he found both pieces, while one in link only shows 1/2 of the buckle....Great find.. :icon_thumright:

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero

Very BANNERABLE!

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Very Awesome Buckle, It is very rare to find this complete :notworthy:.

Nova Treasure

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I also agree that it is most likely a Spanish buckle, apparently from the late 1700's to early 1800's time frame, going by the Powell site info, or perhaps a tad later. Maybe a War of 1812 soldier somehow picked one up while down south or a former one moved north, who knows, :dontknow:

I do not find it too unusual to be found at a homesite, since artifacts can be brought in from anywhere. On the Spanish site mentioned by Grasshopper, one of the triple style shoe buckles on the site was found by me in Southern NJ along with a Spanish button or two, but with the KGI Indian Peace medal also, so you just never know. (John Powell ID'd the buckle and buttons for me and now has the buckle)

Again, congrats to your Uncle on finding a wonderful relic. I suggest sending the photo and other info to John Powell and see what he says, his email addy is at the bottom of the home page on the site. http://www.artifacts.org/default.htm

Don

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Very Cool!

Didn't someone on here find something similiar? The small piece on the left with the anchor? Theirs was broken. It was within the last week or two. Just looks very familiar to me.

It was either in the WHAT IS IT or TODAY's FIND section.
Annmarie

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LadyDigger said:
Very Cool!

Didn't someone on here find something similiar? The small piece on the left with the anchor? Theirs was broken. It was within the last week or two. Just looks very familiar to me.

Annmarie

Annmarie that was my post, but there are many differences I believe, to begin with my anchor device is a fouled anchor. :)

Don

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Don in SJ said:
LadyDigger said:
Very Cool!

Annmarie

Annmarie that was my post, but there are many differences I believe, to begin with my anchor device is a fouled anchor. :)

Don

Thanks Don....for the response!

Ok...but I knew I saw something similiar :wink: ;D... would that link someone above posted, would yours be on there? I haven't read your post in some time, was it solved? Think it's cool how someone finds something and within weeks or months ... others find similiar items... don't cha' just love this hobby?
Annmarie

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ said:
I also agree that it is most likely a Spanish buckle, apparently from the late 1700's to early 1800's time frame, going by the Powell site info, or perhaps a tad later. Maybe a War of 1812 soldier somehow picked one up while down south or a former one moved north, who knows, :dontknow:

I do not find it too unusual to be found at a homesite, since artifacts can be brought in from anywhere. On the Spanish site mentioned by Grasshopper, one of the triple style shoe buckles on the site was found by me in Southern NJ along with a Spanish button or two, but with the KGI Indian Peace medal also, so you just never know. (John Powell ID'd the buckle and buttons for me and now has the buckle)

Again, congrats to your Uncle on finding a wonderful relic. I suggest sending the photo and other info to John Powell and see what he says, his email addy is at the bottom of the home page on the site. http://www.artifacts.org/default.htm

Don
Sent an E-mail with pics to John Powell this morning. Will let you know what he says. Thanks a bunch Don. :thumbsup:

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hogge,
Congratulate your uncle for me. Very nice buckle.
NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread