Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2-Piece "Navy" (or Marine) Buckle found at 1770's house. "Update" Uncle Kenny

Kinda late so I'll write the story tomarrow. Found by my Uncle Kenny Adams who is visiting from Texas. Relic was over 8" down, and found in Hinsdale Ma. at a 1770's house. :headbang: O.K. here's the story: Called Uncle Kenny for a hunt on some property I have permission to hunt. She is one of my customers and a real nice lady. She actually celebrated her 91st on wed. the day of my hunt. So when I picked up Kenny, he got into my truck, and had mentioned he hunted his brothers place, where he stays when up here, earlier in the day. He said he had found something and wanted to show me, as he wasn't quite sure what it was. When he pulled it from his pouch I almost fell out of the truck!! HOLY( something or other and other)......!!!!!! When he told me his brother said "That thing ain't worth squat", I told him that this had to be his best find ever in his 40, (YES 40), years of detecting! I think when I showed him the site that Grasshopper posted for me, it really started to sink in. He is a great guy, and was my dads best friend,( we always called him Uncle Kenny, not really my Uncle) But he is to us. Relic was found in the vacinity of ALL my Banner finds from last year. Seems to be a hot place for relics and coins of this period. I couldn't stop talking about it , all the way to Tyringham. (about 20 miles away). I think I was more excited than him. :laughing7: Some pics of Uncle Kenny at Hogges house with his find!

Attachments

• jy15^001.jpg
    jy15^001.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,410
  • jy15^002.jpg
    jy15^002.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,394
  • Picture 088.jpg
    Picture 088.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 653
  • Picture 089.jpg
    Picture 089.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 660
  • Picture 090.jpg
    Picture 090.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 656
Upvote 1

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: 2-Piece "Navy" (or Marine) Buckle found at 1770's house. ID and Age needed

Another FANTASTIC FIND from the HOGGESTER!!!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is a beautiful find--and anytime both parts of a two-piece buckle are found it is a banner day.

That's a top notch find there.

-Buck

jimbob450

Feb 26, 2008
spokane,wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic I.D.

Great find. You got my BANNER vote. Jimbob

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Baaaaaaannnnnnnneeeeeeeerrrrrrrrr!
Gee, this word needed to be spellchecked and added to dictionary.

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)

I will have to say that is a 10 on the banneroptic scale!!!! :headbang:

my vote is in,,,

art

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Many thanks to all. My Uncle Kenny was detecting back in the late 60's and hasn't stopped. He really didn't know what he had until he showed it to me and I almost fell out of the truck! I'm kinda looking at $ value now, and wish someone may give me a range as to what he may sell it for. I saw the full, NC belt buckle in Best Finds of 2008 valued at $3,000. Given it's rarity by the site given to us by Grasshopper, and being the only FULL known example, I'm guessing 5. Would really like to hear from some of you,(who are knowledgeable in this area), as to what you think. Thanks Hogge. P.S. - I'm truly hoping it makes the Banner for Kenny.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

hogge said:
Many thanks to all. My Uncle Kenny was detecting back in the late 60's and hasn't stopped. He really didn't know what he had until he showed it to me and I almost fell out of the truck! I'm kinda looking at $ value now, and wish someone may give me a range as to what he may sell it for. I saw the full, NC belt buckle in Best Finds of 2008 valued at $3,000. Given it's rarity by the site given to us by Grasshopper, and being the only FULL known example, I'm guessing 5. Would really like to hear from some of you,(who are knowledgeable in this area), as to what you think. Thanks Hogge. P.S. - I'm truly hoping it makes the Banner for Kenny.

The only complete buckle, IMO, would make it worth much more than that... think long and hard, research... maybe pay for a legit appraisal. A certificate of authenticity as an only complete set is invaluable.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice!

HH

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Montana Jim said:
hogge said:

The only complete buckle, IMO, would make it worth much more than that

To whom? I've seen buckles sell from $5.00 to $40,000. It makes no difference what a NC sold for, or if it's the only complete one... the history of the find is what makes the price and if there's no Rev War or Civil War connection than who would want it?.. and pay a high dollar figure? I don't know the history of it but most Spanish relics don't get anything close to RW & CW. Having said all that I would be very happy to offer $50. :D

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Montana Jim said:
hogge said:

The only complete buckle, IMO, would make it worth much more than that... think long and hard, research... maybe pay for a legit appraisal. A certificate of authenticity as an only complete set is invaluable.

If you think it is a valuable find, then paying for a legit appraisal is the best way to go. It's not that expensive, LOL. In the meantime I'll offer you five bucks more than Iron Patch. :)

-Buck

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:icon_thumright: beautiful piece congrats

Jaw Jah Danny

May 2, 2009
Thomasville, GA
Detector(s) used
MXT ,Tesoro Compadre ,Tesoro Tiger Shark, DFX

Awesome find ! Hoping it's Rev or CW era for ya. :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
Montana Jim said:
hogge said:

To whom? I've seen buckles sell from $5.00 to $40,000. It makes no difference what a NC sold for, or if it's the only complete one... the history of the find is what makes the price and if there's no Rev War or Civil War connection than who would want it?.. and pay a high dollar figure? I don't know the history of it but most Spanish relics don't get anything close to RW & CW. Having said all that I would be very happy to offer $50. :D

agreed, its the history & story you nutters pay for...... :laughing7: :laughing7:

I personally wouldn't pay $50 for it, but what do I know, I'm not rich & stupid :hello:

Having said all that, I do believe, as a US find it should be considered for the Banner!

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
Montana Jim said:
hogge said:

Now ALL my hopes, dreams, and visions of grandure, are dashed with one post. :'( :laughing9:. Can't say I don't deserve it, with some of the "hard nosed" >:( posts I put on here. :wink: ;D. I'll start my research on this item and I'm sure, it's rarity and condition will yield a tidy sum. As with all my "crews" finds, I will keep the Forum abreast of what it fetches. Cash is King! :icon_pirat:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hogge said:
Iron Patch said:
Montana Jim said:
hogge said:

Now ALL my hopes, dreams, and visions of grandure, are dashed with one post. :'( :laughing9:. Can't say I don't deserve it, with some of the "hard nosed" >:( posts I put on here. :wink: ;D. I'll start my research on this item and I'm sure, it's rarity and condition will yield a tidy sum. As with all my "crews" finds, I will keep the Forum abreast of what it fetches. Cash is King! :icon_pirat:

I have no doubt it has value but would think closer to a thousand than thousands. But hell I don't know, start checking around and see what someone is willing to pay. Ok, I'll go $100.

gxray

Jan 30, 2009

Iron Patch said:
hogge said:
Iron Patch said:
Montana Jim said:
hogge said:

I have no doubt it has value but would think closer to a thousand than thousands. But hell I don't know, start checking around and see what someone is willing to pay. Ok, I'll go $100.

I'll go $125

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congratulate him for me Hogge. No matter what someone says its value is or what it could actually sell for, there is one thing special about that find. How many have ever been dug? You can't put a price on the value of unearthing something that carries that kind of History. Wouldn't it be great to know whose buckle that was, when they wore it, how they lost it, etc...? Priceless in my opinion. Good luck digging to you Hogge, you are due for a banner find here very soon!

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.

Very nice find!!!!I would pound the area :icon_thumleft:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wallhangers said:
You can't put a price on the value of unearthing something that carries that kind of History.

But he will!!! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread