2 piece scoops, strong enough?

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
What do you think about 2 piece scoops? Are they strong enough for use in the water,or is it a weak point that loosens of fails soon enough? I really don't travel so I'm not sure if I should bother with it.Sure would make carrying it along easier,but is it
worth having.

I really don't want to get a hooptie scoop and have to replace it a year later.
Thanks again.......8-) :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one two piece sand scoop that I use in the dry sand since it is the screen type. The handle is froze together now and a vise and tools would be needed to take it apart now. However if you take it apart each time and keep it greased it will keep coming apart. However for in the water scooping I would not get a two piece jobbie. Just to much rough handling for strength.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Sandman...I have a Babb's Oro Toro Aluminum Travel Beach Scoop with the SS tip, after about 20 hunts I had problems, and it was on a trip to Florida. The 4 inch aluminum plug that holds the two pieces {handle} together..one of the two bolt holes striped out..just from digging the hard packed sand of Fort Myers Beach. Maybe it had came loose and I did not see it, then from the digging it stripped the threads...not sure but not a good thing when your having fun and you are a 800 miles from home. Well, a trip by the Ace Hardware store {where they sell Detectors} in Cape Coral, some duck tape..and we are back in action. These scoops are great for travel, but if you don't travel...I would stay with the regular handles. Good Luck...joe

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
I can't imagine a two piece scoop standing up to the strain I place on my scoop every time I'm out. I had a very strong and thick aluminum scoop that I really liked, because it was relatively light weight. It bent down near the bucket, and I ended up throwing it out. Now I use a Nutall diamond head long fiberglass handle scoop. It weighs a ton, but I never have to worry about it bending or breaking on me.

TomS

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2005
Coeur d'Alene, ID
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II, Minelab Excalibur, Troy Shadow X2, Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Great thread...

I've had 2 two-piece scoops fail on me in the last couple of years. Each failed down near the bucket (at a weld). They started to bend at that weld from the pressure I put on them while digging in the dense sand at Siesta Key (FL). I need the two-piece scoop because I do take it with me a lot when I travel.

Does anybody have a good suggestion for a strong, durable two-piece scoop?

Thanks!

- Tom

OP
OP
syko

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Thanks, now that I'm about to order, my noob questions are coming out even more ;D
I will just get a 1 piece, now to choose which model. Definably needs to have an angled handle.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TomS said:
Great thread...

I've had 2 two-piece scoops fail on me in the last couple of years. Each failed down near the bucket (at a weld). They started to bend at that weld from the pressure I put on them while digging in the dense sand at Siesta Key (FL). I need the two-piece scoop because I do take it with me a lot when I travel.

Does anybody have a good suggestion for a strong, durable two-piece scoop?

Thanks!

- Tom

Depends on what scoop your referring to...The Beach Brute II is a 2 piece scoop, handle seperates just above basket supports, but I have no fear of ever breaking it. I have dug very deep holes (16"+) with it for the last 18 months and I put as much torque on the handle as anyone puts on a one piece, it holds up perfectly.... I am not light, weigh 215 and I do not baby it at all................

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread