Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad they all suck. :-\ So when is the last time you dug 18 coppers and had most of the day remaining to hunt, but left the site? ;D This would have been one heck of a post if two things would have been different. The first is the condition, and the second is if our site wasn't a dump area for modern trash. The place is freakin loaded with coins but it's such a pain to deal with the trash, and add in how toast they are and it's close to not even being worth it. If this site had been our typical farm field with no modern trash I know for certain I would be posting 40+ large coppers. It started out finding a couple of strays but couldn't locate the site, and I actually gave the 5 minute warning! Right after doing so I hit a coin, then we went higher in the field and I dug 5 more in about ten minutes. That was just outside the main site and easy to pick them, but that changed when dealing with the concentration (Iron and modern trash). It was still lots of fun and I have to go back to 2002 for a day that I dug more coppers. Had we stayed I'm pretty sure I would have hit 29 to beat my highest total but we just weren't into it.

PS.... When you go on a hunt with someone named "Lucky Lee" and he has an idea for an old tavern site.... YOU GO!!! :laughing7:

Attachments

• 20d1.jpg
    20d1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,658
  • 20d2.jpg
    20d2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,663
Upvote 0

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a nice coppa day to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sweet hunt :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
It's a shame about the condition, but still looks like a good day to me.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fyrffytr1 said:
Heck, I'd be happy with a 20 anything not trash day! :laughing7:

I had both, the 20 coppers and a large side order off trash. The copper count would have been huge without all those pop cans!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o I never ,ever thought I would read about a 20 coin day" that sucked " :laughing7: excuse me, for for grinning :laughing1: but I can picture U cursing :cussing: at all the trash between each coin :o Still Patch quantity level is impressive ..quality will show up next hunt ..I just know it . CMDdawg :headbang:

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't remember the last time I had a twenty copper day...Oh thats right, I never did!!

So what if they all suck! It's still a great outing!

stillgottawork

Jun 6, 2008
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT , Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just think of the poor guys going to the tavern to get a drink , then realised they lost their "coppers" somewhere outside.. :icon_scratch:............that could be about 20 drinks you got there.....great find to me.... :hello2:

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My largest copper haul for one day is 4, in less than an hour. So maybe one of these days I'll pull 20! But I know what you mean, coppers are getting less exciting for me unless they are nice and a date I haven't seen...and junk, drives me crazy!

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What did lucky dig? 40 good coppers and a couple of gold coins? ;D Thats a killer site Patch, maybe just pick away at it, an hour here an hour there, small doses. :icon_thumright:

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like the place i was in a few weeks back :laughing7: Dd60

Attachments

• old coppers.jpg
    old coppers.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,422

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Still not a bad day. Have you tried using a small coil? I us one in trashy areas with good results.
Dman

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
And I thought that a 2 copper day was good :headbang: You need to slow down..... You are depleating the earth of copper :laughing9:

Trash or not I would be going back. VPR

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They ALL can't be that bad. I see what looks like a couple Georgies in there. :icon_thumright: Hogge

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Whoop-pee-woo, a guy named Iron Patch and Lucky Lee stumble onto a tavern site. :laughing9: Whoop-pee-woo, a guy named Iron Patch digs 20 coppers in one and doesn't say what they are (Tiffin, Nova Scotia token, Halfpenny copper token, etc.). :laughing7: Whoop-pee-woo. :laughing7:

Enlighten us, dear buddy Patch, how old are these coppers? I know Canada minted large coppers up until the 1880s? :laughing9: :dontknow:

Show me some Georgies, Patch. :headbang: Okay, I have to admit, you are off the skunk bus and I am still sitting in the back with my thumb in mouth. :binkybaby:

Kirk :headbang:

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CMDiamonddawg said:
:o I never ,ever thought I would read about a 20 coin day" that sucked " :laughing7: excuse me, for for grinning :laughing1: but I can picture U cursing :cussing: at all the trash between each coin :o Still Patch quantity level is impressive ..quality will show up next hunt ..I just know it . CMDdawg :headbang:

If there was ever a day I was happy to know my detector it was this one! But it was certainly strange passing up high targets! Next Spring I'll be in there with Ironhose and we'll clean that sucker out... coins, pop cans, and everything else that's not iron. I think 2 good days of putting our head down and sticking the shovel in will do it.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mainer said:
What did lucky dig? 40 good coppers and a couple of gold coins? ;D Thats a killer site Patch, maybe just pick away at it, an hour here an hour there, small doses. :icon_thumright:

He was a little slow on the draw because he was cherry picking high signals and it wasn't until I was well ahead did he realize because they were thin and poor condition, they were coming in low tone. :tongue3: Like I always say..... If you're a good button digger you don't miss much! (That's a little different situation but it still held true)

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dman said:
Still not a bad day. Have you tried using a small coil? I us one in trashy areas with good results.
Dman

I'm not one for small coils and it wasn't really the masking that was an issue.... just too many junky high tone targets in the mix. The good part is a couple of good days digging might take care of all of it.

I forgot to mention.... the grass as very high too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread