$2000 FV searched - first silver find

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I found my first silver the other day. a 1962 dime. i actually edge searched my dimes and didn't find anything. later i went back and found it by date searching. i guess i'm not qualified to edge search yet (-: $2,000 FV of various denominations to find this. i tried to temper my expectations before starting this hobby. a $2 find every six weeks won't make for an income, but i do like digging through coins. pennies are still my favorite though.

Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
If you put that '62 Rosie in your hand with some other clad dimes and look at the edges you should be able to tell the diff. Once you've searched some more you should be able to get the hang of it. Just use a magnifier when you search and make sure you have good lighting too.

HH

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
As Silverface said, lighting is KEY.

I have missed dimes before edge searching but I always check dirty edged dimes just in case. I do a lot of CRH from the car so I dont always have good lighting. I will drive to one or more banks, get all the coin I can, stop, rest and search, than dump and hit more banks along the chosen route. I have missed coin by checking the edge but since I also date check dirty coins, I have caught them that way.

There is also what appears to me at least to be a slight rim variation on the silver dimes compared to clad. the hash marks are wider on silver.. at least that is what it appears like to me so that also helps me spot them.

CubanHunter

Jan 2, 2012
Miami, Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am also in the dilema of date check vs edge check. I have found several silver half dollars that look just like clad. :BangHead:

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Sound is another good way to not miss any silver, once you hear the difference you can't miss it, has a different ring to it. Works good to double check dimes slowly dropping them out on a table if there is any silver you will hear it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread