Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
My good buddy and hunting partner Dan and I braved a little rain and snow yesterday to pound the fields one last time in 2014. We started out the day at one of our old sites, and were able to pick out a few leftovers we had missed before, including a nice watch winder I was able to snag. Then we decided to make a short trip to check out a new and promising area that was loaded with late 1600s land patents. As luck would have it we ran into one of the property owners while she had driven out to her mailbox, and we stopped to chat with her. With permission granted we made the long and muddy trek to the hidden field we knew was behind her house, and we felt this was a likely spot for an early house site especially since bordered a creek referenced in the patents. But it turned out to be a small turn-of-the-century site which was quite disappointing. We played around there a bit and recovered a few odds and ends, and my better finds were a large brass key and a cool keyhole cover, and both came out with a lovely green patina. With only about 90 min of daylight left we made a quick drive to the small pasture site we hit last Friday when Dan’s father was in town. Things were quite slow with only a button or buckle piece here and there. But as daylight was fading fast I got a very obvious hit that apparently had been missed before, and was very pleased to see a large cut piece from a 2 reale pistareen pop out with awesome detail. That was the first colonial silver coin I’ve dug with my new F75SE. And it was the 6[SUP]th[/SUP] colonial silver for the new fall season, the 20[SUP]th[/SUP] in 2014, and I also reached a mini-milestone with my 175[SUP]th[/SUP] overall. And it was my last keeper target I dug yesterday as well as for the year, so that was a great way to close out things. Dan and I have already started working hard to identify some new, early sites so hopefully we can start out 2015 on a strong note. Happy New Year to all!!

Attachments

• 123014a.jpg
    123014a.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 202
  • 123014c.jpg
    123014c.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 185
  • 123014d.jpg
    123014d.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 215
  • 123014b.jpg
    123014b.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 194
Upvote 30

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man oh man, what a beauty of a pistareen! Congratulations to you two on a great hunt. I got out too, and dug some nice antebellum silver, which I'll post up soon. Had to get one more hunt in before the end of 2014.

Best wishes to you for the New Year,

Buck

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Equinox 600, GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on another successful hunt! I think you have a 5th Corps badge there as well. Very cool!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on getting colonial silver #175 before the year ended, Bill. That beauty has a lot of detail left on it. Also, I see that an extra clip was taken off at the corner. Do you see that often?

Steve - its quite common to see even these small cut pieces shaved and clipped, or even holed. Someone was always trying to take advantage, and that practice still exists today in other forms.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good close out to 2014.
Congrats on breaking in the F75, and the milestone Silver.
Funny how some things elude some people, lots of people have found watch winders, and I got tons of watches, and parts there of, but nare a winder has found my coil, and yes I do dig a lot of small, trash, foil signals, so that is not the reason, just the way it goes.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a great way to end 2014, Bill. Good luck to you and Dan in 2015. I am thrilled for 2015 because I will be hunting from March-December. I hope to add some more Colonial doo-dads to my collection.

Kirk

Sounds like you have plans to get out a bit more than in recent years Kirk. Glad to hear that, and hope you can get into a nice colonial groove once March rolls around. I'll be looking forward to your usual passionate posts. Happy New Year!

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bill, looks like they used an upsidedown A for the U/V in the legend.....Joe McDonough

Last edited:

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the 175th buddy! Better hurry, I am following ha ha. I have to go back and count where I am, though I know it is not 175 (I suspect 120ish).

As always I had a blast...looking forward to the next time.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That piece is in great shape. I like the detail on the lion.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome pristine pistareen! Nice way to end the year! Nice watch winder too, I like the Skelton key, oh the tales it could tell! You always have awesome finds, it gives me hope!

I will have to chip the drool off my screen it's cold up here! Even the M6 was protesting and slurring (double words) on the screen. Guess we need to go into winter mode now.

We have new discoveries to look forward to in 2015 I wish all of you the best of luck!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The detail on that cut pistareen is amazing! What a sweet way to end the year. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Bill, looks like they used an upsidedown A for the U/V in the legend.....Joe McDonough

Nice catch Joe. I've found many cut pieces with the "RUM" showing on one side, which is part of the word "HISPANIARUM". And I believe this is sometimes spelled as "RVM" although I don't recall if I've dug one of those. But having what appears to be an upside down "A" in place of the "V" could be significant. I sent pics of the coin to my colonial coin expert, and hopefully he can shed some light on this. Might not be a big deal, but you never know. Thanks again.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You and Dan make this game we play look so easy! If I were a metal detector manufacturer, I'd use your posts to make my sales!

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Bill, I have seen a few coins with the same abnormality, due to hard to find good help syndrome just like today. Glad I was able to help you in your efforts.....Joe McDonough
P.S. Happy New Year!

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don Mackay, my buddy, my friend, chime in here what's in your grey matter on this item , happy new year! Joe McDonough

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd love to get a cut silver, but I don't mind them whole either! Great way to end the year, with the cold weather I think we're going to be done till spring here soon!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice catch Joe. I've found many cut pieces with the "RUM" showing on one side, which is part of the word "HISPANIARUM". And I believe this is sometimes spelled as "RVM" although I don't recall if I've dug one of those. But having what appears to be an upside down "A" in place of the "V" could be significant. I sent pics of the coin to my colonial coin expert, and hopefully he can shed some light on this. Might not be a big deal, but you never know. Thanks again.

Isn't it nice to have our new coin friend lol? Having the the most accomplished colonial coin expert on earth in your contact list does not suck. So happy you put me in touch with him. Great guy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread