Colonial Finds and four silvers that wanted to be coins!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apologies for being inactive, but the baby's first Christmas tends to take time away. Now, I did indeed get some digging in.

I spent three days this past week or so getting out with my good pal Bill D and the take was not bad. I will say, I am in a bit of a coin drought right now and I don't know what to do with myself. I dug plenty of targets at some good sites and all the while, a coin would not surface.

We spent day 1 hitting one of our tried and true sites that produced and while it was only a half day's dig, we did pretty well. I dug over 15 buttons (18 I think) along with a pile of other goodies. Two interesting ones was the early plate engraved with "Rof" or "Ros" and then the silver target of the day. While digging an area with a lot of melted brass and lead (site burned I assume) out popped a beauty silver signal. In looking at it, you can see either a hallmark or what could be the edge of a coin (letters). This specific area of the site produced a large number of the silver coins recovered so who knows. I also recovered another silver signal, a bent silver ramrod guide...they wanted to be coins so badly.

On the second day, Bill and I got together with my father who was visiting. We spent the first half of the day exploring a new large site that I landed...sadly it was a complete bust. I recovered two buttons there and that was it and man did it look like a productive place. We still have some more land there to walk and I remain hopeful. To salvage the day, we returned to another tried and true site, though this time was able to hunt a previous area that was not available. We all did very well, though I recovered 22 buttons and took the button king title...with it, I was crowned with a solid silver cast cuff button. Again...it wanted so badly to be a coin. I also recovered a nice but twisted complete shoe buckle and a few other odds and ends.

Yesterday, Bill and I again got back out and again tried a new site that held great promise to again, only be disappointed. I recovered one button and a pile of turn of the century stuff (that we gave to the land owner). We then quickly moved back to the spot we hit with my father previously. We only had a few hours so we quickly got to it. I ended the day with 10 buttons (barely as one is basically a shank ha ha) and again, had another silver signal. This time (after Bill recovered a silver find of his own) I just knew it would be a coin. NOPE....top to a silver thimble...it wanted so badly to be a coin.

Other unique finds from the hunts were the mouth harps, early buckle, mens wedding ring, brass tinkler and a unique solid case small cuff button.

I did get out for an hour with dad at a local site (where I dug my VA button a few weeks back) and recovered a CW three ringer and flat button.

In total for the three trips (which really were a little over two days) I recovered 51 buttons, a pile of odds and ends, and four items that should have been, or I guess wanted to be silver coins.

Happy Hunting and New Years!

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    866.6 KB · Views: 169
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    450.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    660.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    351.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    374 KB · Views: 126
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    305.1 KB · Views: 132
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    342.4 KB · Views: 113
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    339.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    482.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    336.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 1k.JPG
    1k.JPG
    294.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 1l.JPG
    1l.JPG
    244.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 1m.JPG
    1m.JPG
    345.4 KB · Views: 96
Upvote 14

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Liking the quality of pics Dan, the first on the wood stool is great blown up on the 27" great looking screen of old and I kind of wish I could show off something as nice even though you find the lacking the coinage is a downer, but there so many other very nice finds. The thimble would be a nice one if intact, I'm liking the glass insert on the top. The pieces of silver are so close to they could of been finds for sure. Very cool looking little buckle a keeper for sure.
There's the one find that's in the #1 photo by the broken harp, it's long and narrow with a hole near the open edge what is that one?

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh wow look at all that colonial green, my favorite color!

You always kill it out there and I understand the new baby thing, I have a 3 month old daughter at home who kinda took a little detecting time away, lol

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It always strikes me that your sub par days are dream days for lots of folks. Love the silver button and the Jews harp. But I do understand a hunt not feeling complete without a coin find. It really just caps off a hunt perfectly. Can't win em all bud. But that's still a very nice pile of relics

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
still a very awesome hunt like Ahab8 said, great pics of very nice finds

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad we were able to get out a few times to end the year. Had a great time as always, and even though the coins were popping out at least a lot of other relics were. So how many double digit button hunts have you had in a row now? Its amazing how you seem to pull them out of thin air sometimes. Looking forward to getting into some new and hopefully productive sites as we turn the page to 2015. And BTW - you're gonna need a larger stool if you keep this up. See ya!

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bunch of great finds there! I know the feeling of wanting Silver coins to "complete" a hunt but you covered all the other bases. Sterling Silver button, how cool is that! I haven't found one..........yet! Who knows what will be in the next hole. Congrats on a great season and good luck in 2015!

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dan, what kind of camera/phone did you use for those pictures? The details and shadow contrasting is excellent.

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dan' it's hard to feel sorry for your not finding a coin (although I understand how you feel lol) but man- that's a LOAD of great finds! That's like a year of colonial finds for me! Great showing.. WTG!

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
A successful 3 days Dan. Nice variety of quality recoveries. The coins will come!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your plate says "Ross" on it. It's the "long s," which was typical for the colonial period in America, dying out in written usage by the late Federal era.

Long s - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is a lot of targets dug, so congrats to you on some excellent hunts. With that many buttons coming up, a good military button or silver coin cannot be far away.

Best Wishes,

Buck

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan, what kind of camera/phone did you use for those pictures? The details and shadow contrasting is excellent.

I use a fairly high-end Nokia DC3100 or something like that. Was a nice investment for family photos...and relics ha ha

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your plate says "Ross" on it. It's the "long s," which was typical for the colonial period in America, dying out in written usage by the late Federal era.

Long s - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is a lot of targets dug, so congrats to you on some excellent hunts. With that many buttons coming up, a good military button or silver coin cannot be far away.

Best Wishes,

Buck
Thanks man! - now the fun part of guessing what precluded it.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It always strikes me that your sub par days are dream days for lots of folks. Love the silver button and the Jews harp. But I do understand a hunt not feeling complete without a coin find. It really just caps off a hunt perfectly. Can't win em all bud. But that's still a very nice pile of relics

HA I know I know...spoiled is all. I made a comment to Bill shortly after the fall began and we had collectively already added 7 colonial coins to our counts...jinxed us. Bill broke the bad mojo yesterday....I hopefully will start 2015 off right.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Liking the quality of pics Dan, the first on the wood stool is great blown up on the 27" great looking screen of old and I kind of wish I could show off something as nice even though you find the lacking the coinage is a downer, but there so many other very nice finds. The thimble would be a nice one if intact, I'm liking the glass insert on the top. The pieces of silver are so close to they could of been finds for sure. Very cool looking little buckle a keeper for sure.
There's the one find that's in the #1 photo by the broken harp, it's long and narrow with a hole near the open edge what is that one?

I believe it is a trade tinkler...native americans and frontiersmen work them on clothing.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe it is a trade tinkler...native americans and frontiersmen work them on clothing.

That's it! I couldn't place it, but it sure had a familiar look to it. I don't know if cord ends were around then, or if it's the same thing basically, something I've never read up on really.
Thanks for the reply Dan-all the best for the 2015 digging season.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello HomeGuardDan,

I love the button collection and the other relics from your hunt.

Thank you for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions