2nd IH 1888 and 1919 s wheatie (easy come easy go on the IHs)

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
2nd IH 1888 and 1919 s wheatie (easy come easy go on the IH's)

Tonight went back to the site I got my first IH since they had tore up the ground a little more. Got the second IH 1888 and a 1919 s wheatie along with 13 clad cents.

I would say there is more there, but the concrete parking lot is closing in on my fast. Loads of trash to dig tonight. The torn up houses were corraled to the spot where the IH's were found, so was surprised to find anything but trash.

Sorry no pic on these 2. It's difficult to say how they are going to turn out since I have not tried to soak one of them before. It seems the IH might be corroding on the edge, but hard to tell really.

THanks for the read,

Postalrevnant

Going to try the long distilled soak and see what results I can get with it.

Is there any problems with soaking the IH with the wheaties?

Both IH if they clean up some appear as though they will have green patina. So will soaking the wheaties with them in Distilled change that coloration?

Upvote 1

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 2nd IH 1888 and 1919 s wheatie (easy come easy go on the IH's)

congratulations on the IH, revenant. The corroded ones can lose a lot of detail in peroxide... I've found that out too. Finding an Indian is a real day-maker anyhow.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Cool deal on the IH and wheatie. A lot of our wheat pennies and IH's up here are roached from the start and no amount of cleaning can bring them back. :P But we do get some nice ones now and then. Good luck at that site. I always kick myself for not doing the site before dozing - once it's dozed it can be bad(trash) and good stuff dozed away.

Bob

OP
OP
Postalrevnant

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains

Mirage said:
Cool deal on the IH and wheatie. A lot of our wheat pennies and IH's up here are roached from the start and no amount of cleaning can bring them back. :P But we do get some nice ones now and then. Good luck at that site. I always kick myself for not doing the site before dozing - once it's dozed it can be bad(trash) and good stuff dozed away.

Bob

I had no idea they were going to doze it until it was done. I would have loved to have had a heads up on that one.

Rusted_Iron said:
congratulations on the IH, revenant. The corroded ones can lose a lot of detail in peroxide... I've found that out too. Finding an Indian is a real day-maker anyhow.

Yes it was very cool finding both of them. I have to go with Mirage on this one though. They were pretty much roached to begin with. Next ones I find will be cleaned differently to see what happens. I say this because unless I find them deep in mountains (might not matter anyways because of high mineral content in all soil here), then most likely the coins will be somewhere that has sustained much flooding. So I believe most IH's I find here will be toast. But I can wish LoL.

Postalrevnant

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread