✅ SOLVED 3 gold coins found, not sure what they are.

greenman38

Greenie
Jan 20, 2020
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_3465.jpg
    IMG_3465.jpg
    757.7 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_3466.jpg
    IMG_3466.jpg
    920.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3557.jpg
    IMG_3557.jpg
    631.3 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3558.jpg
    IMG_3558.jpg
    624.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3560.jpg
    IMG_3560.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3562.jpg
    IMG_3562.jpg
    523.1 KB · Views: 91

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like the 1852 one lost some gold paint

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

greenman38

Greenie
Jan 20, 2020
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a spec of dirt that popped right off. Sorry about that, bad eyes. I added a new picture without the dirt, lets hope I uploaded it right. Thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

greenman38

Greenie
Jan 20, 2020
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you might be right on the 1816 being plated. When I zoom in real close it looks to be missing gold around the hole punched in it. Thanks for the info. How do I find out if any of them real? Take them to a local coin store?

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seem to lack detail do you have a jewers loop you could see if theres peeling or you could let us know what it reads on your detecor if you use one.. I hope they are real Im sure someone will have a better easy way to test those. Welcome to tnet

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

greenman38

Greenie
Jan 20, 2020
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
none stick to a magnet, don't have a detector, did zoom into 120x on my eye piece, and didn't see any peeling, but that is how I saw the spec of dirt on the one. thanks for the help. I'll see if I can find someone to ask in my area.

Upvote 0

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have them looked at by someone who can see them in person. I don’t believe any of them are made of gold- JMO.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a lot of literature on these. Back in the 1920's or so they started reproducing them also. I have no idea if yours are the originals or not. I'd go to a coin dealer and get an opinion.

Upvote 0

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If real, the 1816 would actually be an 1876. I could be wrong, but none of these look right to me. Rather than being stamped, they look to me like they were made in a mold. Good luck. I hope they are real.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flinthunter has a good point. Look at the edges. The originals were stamped. Never cast. There should be no casting ridges on the edges of the coins.

Upvote 0

chetler

Mar 22, 2006
Jonesboro, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Mostly use White's XLT
They do not look right to me! I would have them checked but do not get your hopes up too high. I would rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed. But even if they are not real gold; I still like them.

Upvote 0

LouMiller

Dec 27, 2019
Austinville Va.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 Vanquish 540 Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are still cool , but thry look to me like charms from a womans bracelet. Sure hope that i am wrong.

Upvote 0

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look like souvenirs to me, or made to pass off as real.

The way to determine if they are gold is to do a specific gravity test.
You will need access to a small balance beam scale.

Upvote 0

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
California gold coinage is a broad category of privately-issued coin-like items that were used in place of official currency in the United States territory (later state) of California during the gold rush of 1849. Since the federal government reserves the right to issue legal tender coins, California gold coinage is a misnomer and actually references coin-like ingots with a stated tender value, tokens with a stated tender value (denominated), and tokens without a stated tender value (non-denominated). These items are only classified as an ingot if the value of the metal was close to the tender value marked on the piece. In spite of the misnomer, it is common practice among numismatists to label coin-like ingots and denominated tokens as 'coins' while labeling the non-denominated tokens as 'tokens'. Also, the small California Gold coins and tokens have been made in many locations other than California, often with a claim of being from California on the piece and these items are generally labeled as California Gold Coins or Tokens.

Coin-like ingots were produced from 1849 until 1856 in denominations of $1, $5, $10, $20, $25, and $50. Many of these were made by well-known assayers. Some of these achieved circulation on the east coast of the United States. All are highly valued today.[1]

Tokens with a stated tender value were produced from 1852 until 1883 as well as spuriously in later years. These were made in denominations of $1, $0.50, and $0.25 in both round and octagonal shapes. In the early period, from roughly 1852 through 1853, the coins were made for actual use due to a scarcity of silver coins. These coins were quickly rejected as being too small to handle, but simultaneously gained popularity for use as souvenirs that could be economically mailed to families. Although the earliest issues had about 80-90% of the correct weight for the denomination, the weights constantly decreased over the years of issue. Only the extremely rare "defiant eagle" issue has the full weight of gold.[2]

Tokens without a stated tender value have been produced since 1869. The Coinage Act of 1864 made the private creation of items intended to be passed as legal tender to be illegal. This law was first enforced in an obscure case in Boston in 1869 and later enforced in a more public fashion at Ft. Leavenworth in 1871. At that time several manufacturers stopped production of the denominated pieces and new manufacturers stepped with a mix of denominated and non-denominated issues. After an overzealous visit from the United States Secret Service in 1883 (no charges were ever pressed), all of the remaining manufacturers switched to non-denominated issues. Since then issues have been produced, often with gold-rush era dates on them, more or less continuously through the present.

Upvote 0

nkellam22

Feb 9, 2019
Western Europe
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They are California gold tokens made during and shortly after the gold rush but sadly these look to be fake. At least the 1st and 3rd. The second one could be real but i am not sure.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Any pawn shop can test gold. Or try a tiny drop of Nitric Acid. Even if the are not gold, they may have value as period counterfeits. I would be thrilled to find them.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions