Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to resume a two days hunt under the cold autumn rain in Montreal.

Decided to continue my river exploring even thou I'm having a bit of a cold (partially caused by my previous hunts) and despite the cold,rainy and windy weather. The water is getting cooler everyday so i'm trying to limit my outings to 2-3 hours max.

Despite that, had my personal record Spanish silver hunt to date. Pulled a beautiful 1759 2 Reales coin and two 1 Real coins (1775,1781) Also a bunch of halfpenny tokens in a pretty washed condition (except the beautiful Wellington 1814 Halfpenny). Got a bunch of interesting relics as well, I will try to post them after the cleaning.

The Reales were in a very bad condition as were covered in a black crust,same as the half Real I pulled a week ago. Was working really hard to clean them. Pretty glad with the condition of the 2 Reales but both of the singe ones did not clean as well. I'm very excited about this spot and feel really happy and privileged to have been the one to uncover those coins after they hid for centuries in the river mud.

I included the pics of the 2 Reales coin before the cleaning so you can have a better idea of the effort (at least 12 hours)it took to get it cleaned.The lemon juice trick doesn't work on that type of crust.

Note: The Hibernia halfpenny in the groupe picture is from my previous hunt on that spot. Just wanted to include it in the pic as it's from the same period as my Spanish silver.

A nice little hunt!

Attachments

• DSC_0074a.JPG
    DSC_0074a.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 315
  • DSC_0894.JPG
    DSC_0894.JPG
    743 KB · Views: 307
  • DSC_0912.JPG
    DSC_0912.JPG
    878.6 KB · Views: 307
  • DSC_0913.JPG
    DSC_0913.JPG
    761.7 KB · Views: 286
  • DSC_0082.JPG
    DSC_0082.JPG
    445.6 KB · Views: 261
  • DSC_0084.JPG
    DSC_0084.JPG
    522 KB · Views: 260
  • DSC_0088a.JPG
    DSC_0088a.JPG
    809.1 KB · Views: 260
  • DSC_0947.JPG
    DSC_0947.JPG
    334.1 KB · Views: 257
  • DSC_0946.JPG
    DSC_0946.JPG
    363.2 KB · Views: 257
Upvote 65

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok Aureus I'm not sure what IP was thinking inviting you to this forum but you're making the rest of us feel pretty pathetic. My favorite part about these coins in that they look "dug". Sometimes you see an amazing post with a bunch of shiny old coins and it never feels right to me. All my old silvers come out with that really dark appearance. You did a nice job of cleaning them up and I actually like the stark contrast in color. Congrats on another incredible outing. That time period is perfect for the good stuff my friend....as you know

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These are exquisite finds...and the fact that you are making such consistent discoveries of the highest order is just jaw dropping. Thanks for lighting up the boards with colonial era eye candy.

At this point though you should probably just rest up for a few weeks...you need to get over that cold, and why go out in freezing, stinky mud just to find things that make the rest of us look like we are detecting tot lots? :tongue3:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only have one thing to say...

BANNER !

All day friggin long.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I need to move up your way to find the old silver? There doesn't seem to be any here. Congrats!

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok Aureus I'm not sure what IP was thinking inviting you to this forum but you're making the rest of us feel pretty pathetic. My favorite part about these coins in that they look "dug". Sometimes you see an amazing post with a bunch of shiny old coins and it never feels right to me. All my old silvers come out with that really dark appearance. You did a nice job of cleaning them up and I actually like the stark contrast in color. Congrats on another incredible outing. That time period is perfect for the good stuff my friend....as you know

:icon_thumright: Thanks man! Again, I have seen some of your finds and wouldn't mind to look as ''pathetic'' as you. :laughing7:The little spot on the river I found was an amazing experience and an unusual one as I'm much more into land (woods,fields) detecting. Never seen that thick crust on the coins before, almost like a plastic. Every single one of them took a much greater effort to find and than to clean than my land finds. By the way, IP told me the same thing about keeping the dug condition. They do look different from my field or woods Reales and I will keep them as they are in the pic, no additional cleaning.
Thanks again!

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That's an amazing group of Reales. Nice and early. I love the crust - it doesn't leave much guessing to where they came from, and excellent job cleaning them. But I have one problem with your post - let's see all those coppers! I see a great looking Hibernia that's dying for a little attention

Congrats,

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's an amazing group of Reales. Nice and early. I love the crust - it doesn't leave much guessing to where they came from, and excellent job cleaning them. But I have one problem with your post - let's see all those coppers! I see a great looking Hibernia that's dying for a little attention

Congrats,

Thank You. As I I have mentioned, the Hibernia is from my previous hunt. I have put it in the groupe shot because it's frome the same spot. I'm affraid if I give it any more attention my other coins might feel ignored.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty cool.
3 spanish in a day would be a record for most, myself included, I did find 2 2 reales in a day once, it was pretty awesome.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Absolutely beautiful detailed Reals, congratulations! :occasion14:

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:censored: it took me 3 years to get three of them!

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm on cloud 9 with one silver, man you really putted it a couple of notches above. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:
Some of those coins seem to have been in water a long time and the others have been dug certainly. Amazing and banner (right after i've changed underwear).
Oh, thank you a lot for sharing!

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok gave my vote and have clean undies now ;) Man, you really have a great site. Just began the old parks run too, just sorry the cold is coming fast but we still have some time ;)

ScaredOfClowns

Apr 21, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett ProPointer, Garrett ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW! Congrats on some amazing finds! Those reales are in beautiful shape (especially after cleaning) and those are some OLD dates - I'll bet they have some stories to tell. I just found my first Spanish silver (a 1781 half real) a few weeks ago, and I'm still grinning - I'd be hitting that site over and over if I were you!

How did you clean them? They look great!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread