3rd Porcelain Sign This Week, Colonial Knee Buckle and More!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a nasty and windy 36 degrees, but I toughed it out in the woods for two hours today. Worth the effort, since I came home with three good finds.

The best find has to be a colonial knee buckle I found six inches down on the side of a steep hill. Haven't even found a stinking penny in this spot, but out pops a relic from the 1700's! It's copper alloy and measures 1 1/8" x 1 1/2". It's in nice shape and I didn't even hit it with my digger.

The next find was my third porcelain sign this week. It's the same as the other two signs (Div. of Fish & Game), but still a cool find. Not in great shape, but not the worst one I've found. I'm soaking it in citric acid and will post a pic of it when it's done in a few hours.

The last find MAY be the guts to a colonial shoe buckle. I say may be because it's made of steel! Hard to believe anything made of steel would survive 240 years in the ground. Let me know what you think. It sure looks like a tongue and chape to me. I only dug it because it was close to the knee buckle and I was digging all signals in that area.

Here's a few pics:

knee buckle.JPG buckle.JPG buckle 1.JPG buckle 2.JPG shoe buckle.JPG shoe buckle 1.JPG porcelain sign.JPG

Upvote 10
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's all three signs together on my wall. Today's find is on the far left. A little faded, but not bad.

DSC07934.JPG

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils -Minelab Manticore-
-Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the sign-fecta. They will look good on display. Congrats on the buckle too.
Funny how u can find new junk and something two or three hundred years old in the same spot.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds. Love that knee buckle! [emoji106]

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice relic finds! :occasion14:

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, guys! Wait until you see what I found today. It's the first coin I ever found at this spot and it's OLD! I'll post it later on tonight.

Ron P

Apr 14, 2009
Cary, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Cool Finds, I remember seeing those signs when I was a Kid, I grew up in Western Cranston and we'd bike ride up to the reservoir area. I left in 82. Wish I had a metal detector back then, I saw a lot of great places to detect before the suburban sprawl took over western cranston.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread