40 minute hunt with Interuptions.

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
Well, I got off work Friday night and drove to a playground behind where I work and grabbed my detector. I made one sweep and the sky opened up and it started to rain. Bummer..

I decided to drive around and scout a little. I made my way down to the Mississippi river and when I got within sight of the river, I saw a small "run down" looking neighborhood park with a community garden. I decided to press my luck a bit, with all the old houses around and hit it for a few minutes. The rain was still falling, yet lightly now.

The first target I dug was an old ring tab. Undeterred, I continued on where I dug out this curious object. 100_3288.jpg
Does anyone know if this is a Civil War piece? The area has a rich history of occupancy by soldiers. Here are a couple more pics:
100_3290.jpg
100_3291.jpg
Continuing on, I attracted the attention of a local. He wasted about 20 minutes of my time, and I thought a couple times I might be struck by lightning. Anyway, he did provide me some tips about the area. Another local detectorist stopped by too and I got some valuable info on a potential civil war site. ;D Anyway, my next dig was a 1956 Wheat Penny. I always like finding them!
100_3292.jpg
100_3287.jpg
Finally, my wife was calling and the rain picked up. My next dig ended up being a man hole cover at 6" that my XLT told me was a coin at 1". I don't even know why I kept digging. Anyway, I got one good last hit on the way to the truck that produced a really cool old "Bible Charm".
100_3284.jpg
100_3282.jpg
I was really happy to find that. It kinda rounded out this short hunt. Well, if you are still reading, I hope you enjoyed the pics. HH
baldingboy
100_3293.JPG

Upvote 0

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
A few nicw digs, congrats on your finds.
Man, don't get hit by lightning, it's no fun,
been there, I know. Happened to me about 12 years ago.
Keep the goodies coming, good luck on your new CW site.
I have no idea about the what's it.

Smiles!
BDoo

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Holding sites out on me are ya? Ya scurvy pirate!!! ;D ;D ;)

We'll have to go back and really hunt the place good.

Love the charm!

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is probably a ball bearing, but it could be a civil war grape shot.....maybe

But don't give up, I'm sure you'll come across something cool soon

HH
-GC

panzermeyer

Jul 27, 2004
The Great White North
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum Tesoro Tiger Shark
Very cool finds ! Sure like the Bible charm.I can hardly wait to see my first religious item pop outa the dirt.God Bless...Happy Hunting..Panz

OP
OP
Baldingboy

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
panzermeyer said:
Very cool finds ! Sure like the Bible charm.I can hardly wait to see my first religious item pop outa the dirt.God Bless...Happy Hunting..Panz
CarolinaDigs said:
Cute finds ;D
goldencoin said:
it is probably a ball bearing, but it could be a civil war grape shot.....maybe

But don't give up, I'm sure you'll come across something cool soon

HH
-GC
mastereagle22 said:
Holding sites out on me are ya? Ya scurvy pirate!!! ;D ;D ;)

We'll have to go back and really hunt the place good.

Love the charm!
Cynangyl said:
very cool finds! love the charm! :D
lost at sea said:
Nice, looks like 40 minutes well spent.
duffytrash said:
meteorite???? is it heavy.....
Boobydoo said:
A few nicw digs, congrats on your finds.
Man, don't get hit by lightning, it's no fun,
been there, I know. Happened to me about 12 years ago.
Keep the goodies coming, good luck on your new CW site.
I have no idea about the what's it.

Smiles!
BDoo

panzermeyer,
Yeah, that was actually my first jewelry type of religious find. There is an late 1800's/early 1900's church about a block away. Cool thing and must be pretty old.
The only other religious thing I have found is a token that says Justified by Grace that is pretty cool. (See post that says "I enjoy everyones finds..here are some of mine")

CarolinaDigs,
Thanks for the post. I always appreciate you taking a look and posting.

goldencoin,
Let's just call it a grape shot. It will get me out of bed and detecting more. Unless PBK or other experts refute it...that is what we will call it. ;D

mastereagle22,
I'd not be holding out places on ya matey. Look at it as a short scoutin' mission. We will go back and pillage the place and I will take you along...ya salty dawg!

Cynangyl,
Thanks! I love it too. I can't help but think given the date of the church close by that this thing is pretty darn old.

lost at sea,
Yeah, others might not agree with us, but I believe any time swinging a detector is well spent.

duffytrash,
Meteorite....I never thought of that. I don't believe it is. It seems to have a bit more of a rusty appearance. It is, however, kind of heavy. It is almost perfectly round with a couple small depression that make it feel a little boxy on the bottom.

Boobydoo,
You got hit by lightning! Holy crap. You will have to pm me with the details of that! Yeah, I kept thinking when I was out there...."This is crazy..this is crazy", but I guess knowing is half the battle. Sense enough to come in out of the rain is the other. ::)
Maybe that is why you find so much. After the lightning strike, your body actually functions kinda like a detector. Just a thought. :-\ ;D

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice treasure trove Baldingboy. Well done.

I'm intrigued by the thingy.
It's obviously some form of concretion rather than made from one substance. Was grapeshot ever made like that? :-\
I zoomed the pic and there's a couple of unusual looking inclusions, as pointed to in the pic below.
The shapes and marks don't look 'accidental'.

One wild idea ;D - I'm allowed one a day.
fossilised faeces of some animal ???
and those are bits of bugs?

Cheers, Mike

Attachments

• bbfind.2.JPG
    bbfind.2.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 392
OP
OP
Baldingboy

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
mastereagle22 said:
trikikiwi said:
One wild idea ;D - I'm allowed one a day.
fossilised faeces of some animal ???
and those are bits of bugs?

Cheers, Mike

Oohh your holding bug poo!!! :D :D :D :D

Mike,
It is metal. You used up your guesses for the next two weeks. ;)

mastereagle22,
I will deal with you at work tomorrow! >:( :D

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike,
It is metal. You used up your guesses for the next two weeks.

:oThat is way too harsh a penalty. I'll go stir crazy

I'm still intrigued by the thingy and I figured it must have given a signal on the MD for you to find it, and you described it as looking 'rusty'.
On my screen, it appears slightly green, like copper - or mineralised ??? dinosaur poo - take your pick! if you dare ;D

I've only used my Sovereign GT a couple of times
so I bow to your superior experience Sirs, Baldingboy and of course Mastereagle.

or, Mate! ;) as we say here.

Cheers, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread