apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently purchased a Garrett Ace 250. I had a good signal under the 5 cent sign. I dug a clad nickle. A bit later, I had another signal under the 5 cent sign--except this time it was a foil lid from a pop bottle. Any way to determine the difference between the two? Did I set the sensitivity wrong? Or is this just the way it is--live and learn? I have always heard, "Dig it all." Should I go with this philosopy? I am thrilled to have the Ace, just want to know what I am doing wrong!
apush :read2:

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
If any one ever comes out with a metal detector which can easily tell the difference between a pulltab, nickel and gold ring, it will be the biggest seller by far. If someone tells you that they have a current metal detector which can easily tell the differences, run as fast as you can. :help:

trapper

Mar 22, 2009
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500and Garret SeaHunter MarkII
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can try the MDer stomp method, I find it to be a quick way to distinguish between junk and a find, when you locate a target just stomp the ground above it and rescan if it is junk it will register as such if it is a coin it will register as one, although the best advice is still "DIG IT ALL!!!".

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some say that you can increase the swing speed of your coil and if it is a coin your ID will not fluctuate as it will with trash. This was a method used with the older detectors and others say it is out of date with today's modern detectors. Might give it a try and let us know how it works...

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I will try all the wisdom found here. Hitting a 1950s football stadium this weekend--weather permitting. I will let you know if I find any finds!
apush

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.....I would dig all Nickel signals ...even if you wind up digging a lot of junk........one gold ring could pay for your detector........and John-Edmunton has paid for his detector many times.....LOL....Joe

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The size and shape of an object can also affect the signal the detector gets. A piece of a pull tab that is curled up may make the detector signal a dime or penny. Same thing with a tiny piece of foil. Sometimes a large deep iron object will make the detector think there's a silver coin. Iron harness/saddle rings will almost always make the detector signal a dime. Something to do with the ring shape. Nails will also have a similar effect. Something to do with their round surface, I believe. Nails usually will make the detector signal iron then silver. Back and forth. You want to dig a consistent good solid signal, but if the object is deeper it may not have consistent signal. Usually if I get three or four swings with a consistent signal and a junk signal mixed in here and there I will dig; especially if the detector shows it is deeper like 4-6 inches. It helps to walk around the object while swinging the coil also if you find some inconsistencies with the signal. If I'm in a park I will put it in jewelry mode and dig decent coin signals including nickels. The parks I hunt I'm only looking for older coins. If I get a good steady signal around a pull tab, sometimes I'll dig hoping for gold. But if the signal is broken around pull tab I will ignore. Now if I'm relic hunting in the woods I will dig everything and anything. This does have it's rewards, but you'll dig lots of junk. Research is the name of the game with relic hunting. You have to be pretty sure some event happened in the the area you're searching. If something has happened and you search long enough you'll hopefully find something related to the event. If I'm around a cellar hole I'll dig everything above iron and then sometimes I get curious and will start digging iron.

-Swartzie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions