5 Dime Trifectas and a Semi-Grand Slam! 51 Silvers, Injuns, 100s of Wheats!!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
5 Dime Trifectas and a Semi-Grand Slam! 51 Silvers, Injuns, 100's of Wheats!!

Hello My Friends!

Today, I reached another milestone for the year with my 203rd silver coin recovery. :headbang: I had to give the silver park a rest because the finds are getting real slim there now. I was hoping to try and continue my silver digging frenzy this year, and by chance, I stumbled upon a spot which has greatly exceeded my expectations. All the finds in my post have come from one site in the last 7 hunts there.

Today, I dug my best barber dime from the site, an 1895 S, which is in real good shape...maybe a $250 coin? I have found barber dimes in 5 out of my last 7 hunts there(only 1 on each of those days), which amounted to 5 dime trifectas, including a semi-grand slam, with the '47 Canadian dime on one of the trifecta days.

I have dug nearly twice as many Mercs as Rosies from this spot, and only 1 silver quarter, which is a sign that this spot must have been pillaged in the 80's and 90's by weekend hunters. Most of the coins were in the 7-9" range. If I wasn't keying in on deep, one-way whisper signals, I would have missed a good number of these coins, so you really had to concentrate hard to find them. Out of over 200 wheaties dug, I have found just 3 Indian head pennies, an 1892, 1900, and 1906. I forgot to mention that I broke my own record one day for wheat pennies found in one hole. After digging down around 8", I ended up removing 10 wheats from one plug. I also dug 2 silver rings, one being a sterling band, and the other a hand-made piece with a tiger's eye stone.

What a spot is all I can say!! Never in my 2 years of hunting has a site produced so much for me in such a short amount of time. ::) I hope everyone can stumble upon a site like this at least once in their detecting lives. No research was required. The willingness to re-work a site that a couple of my buddies and I thought was previously hunted out was the key to "old coin" bliss. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for Looking!!
Keep The Passion High!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Attachments

• barbers.jpg
    barbers.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,030
  • IMG_3534_sm.jpg
    IMG_3534_sm.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 1,031
  • IMG_3540_sm.jpg
    IMG_3540_sm.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 1,037
  • IMG_3536_sm.jpg
    IMG_3536_sm.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 1,040
  • 1895S_Barb_043009.jpg
    1895S_Barb_043009.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,023
  • Injuns_Token.jpg
    Injuns_Token.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 1,025
  • IMG_3542_sm.jpg
    IMG_3542_sm.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 1,024
Upvote 0

John Deere Digger

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2007
So Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Prism5, Minelab SE
Re: 5 Dime Trifectas and a Semi-Grand Slam! 51 Silvers, Injuns, 100's of Wheats!!

Wow, I can't see from the silver glare. Super spot you found. Great digs. HH
JDD

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 5 Dime Trifectas and a Semi-Grand Slam! 51 Silvers, Injuns, 100's of Wheats!!

Wow, what a great new site! Thanks for posting. Can you tell us what type of site this is--another park? The silvers you are finding there seem to be older than you've been finding, maybe there is the possiblity of a seated from this spot. That 1895-S Barber dime is spectacular!

If you don't mind explaining, what do you mean by one-way whisper signals? Does this mean you are only hearing a signal when passing the coil in one direction and not the other? If so, I am curious as to how often you chase false signals, and how easily you give up on a whisper signal that disappears.

Jazdo

Oct 11, 2007
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes,Golden Sabre II, & Inca!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool lookin little token also..

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

terpfan said:
Wow, what a great new site! Thanks for posting. Can you tell us what type of site this is--another park? The silvers you are finding there seem to be older than you've been finding, maybe there is the possiblity of a seated from this spot. That 1895-S Barber dime is spectacular!

If you don't mind explaining, what do you mean by one-way whisper signals? Does this mean you are only hearing a signal when passing the coil in one direction and not the other? If so, I am curious as to how often you chase false signals, and how easily you give up on a whisper signal that disappears.

Thanks for your reply and questions, Terpfan. I really can't elaborate too much about the spot right now, but I will certainly answer your question about one-way signals. Yes, sometimes I could only get a repeatable signal from one swing direction over a given target. Sometimes, I could get the signal to repeat from a couple different swing angles. Because of this, I was circling around every deep signal, trying to bring it in better, so I had a reason to dig 9" into the ground. Digging nearly 80-100 7-9"+ plugs is hard on the hands/upper body. The signal would practically null out if you weren't wiggling the coil (Minelab wiggle technique) at just the right cadence back and forth over your target. I chased a lot of iron bits that sounded very good too. Some of the deep silver dimes really surprised me. I thought for sure they were going to be another piece of iron by the way they sounded. The ground is full of iron there...nails, rusty bolts, highly mineralized ground. The deep wheats were actually a little easier to decipher because they had a slightly lower tone than the iron does. And there were plenty of teens/twenties wheaties too.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Captn. , I'm just completely blown away --- Speechless ----!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice work ! Argentium.

Drdepth

Greenie
Apr 19, 2009
West TN
Detector(s) used
etrac

Great finds, very impressive. I'm new here so I hope I didn't ask stupid questions but could you clarify a little more on a one way signal? EX. one way on a 180 degree axis(right swing with beep , left swing back with no beep) or beeps on both righ and left swings with none or one direction beep at 90 degrees. Have I totally confused you now? I have confused myself.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

its time to say woww thats a lot of wilver :thumbsup:

hikermike

Dec 16, 2004
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2

Simply amazing!!! Looks like another killer spot! Cant wait to see more. Keep up the good work!

HH
Mike

coltdavis

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2008
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 5 Dime Trifectas and a Semi-Grand Slam! 51 Silvers, Injuns, 100's of Wheats

Holy!!! Awesome finds Dan! congrats on some great hunts! and a semi Key Barber very cool :thumbsup: :thumbsup: and in awesome shape! Thats just a ton of silver! congrats again on some awesome finds :thumbsup: :thumbsup: keep it up. best of luck and HH

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Uterly a superb haul, Dan. YOU ARE THE KING OF SILVER IN MY BOOK :icon_sunny: :thumbsup: I wouldn't know how to act if I did that good. That must make a person really feel good . You are off to a record setting year for sure

mcmurphi

Feb 5, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX • Fisher CZ-21

I'm not sure if I'm living in the right spot. Yeah I'm sure. I spent this evening hunting a place I swore I would never go back to and coaxed up two wheats for a couple of hours and they were in the same hole. Just hugh what you are doing there Congrats!

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D

Incredible, and here I thought with silver park drying up I'd have a slim chance of catching up! Wow, wow, wow. Hard to be happy with my finds today now, even though I did get a fun one, a steel cent.

Congrats! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 043009.jpg
    043009.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 890

plumloko

Feb 11, 2008
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, Whites XLT

My research sucks...
My motivation is low...
And you just pounded the stake through my heart (which is silver as well...)

Seriously though,
Great finds Colonel!!
You are the man!

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+

Boy, what would you be worth Dan if I didn't share all those secret spots I left for you in California? :tongue3:

Just kidding! Those are some awesome finds! We all know that when you post it's gonna be something good!

If you keep it up you'll be able to start your own mint soon. ;D

Ray

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b

That's just fantastic!! I would love to find a spot that good again. Good luck! HH!!

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You sure have a great place for hunting. Over 200 silver pieces. That is great. I wold also like to know what you mean by one signal. Do you only get it going one was like moving the coil to the lefy and then nothing going right. I there has been times when I am out and I think I heard a signal and ehen I look at my screen it may show a penny or dime icon. But when I try to find it againb I can not so I move on. Is this what you are talking about....Matt

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Captn,
Your postings always blows me away.
I just got the E-Trac and have been out 3 times and have found 3 silvers, which I have not posted yet.
You are sure to find more spots with your skills I know you will probably exceed this posting.
That is one sweet 1895 Barber.
HH.
Rob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread