5 Dime Trifectas and a Semi-Grand Slam! 51 Silvers, Injuns, 100s of Wheats!!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
5 Dime Trifectas and a Semi-Grand Slam! 51 Silvers, Injuns, 100's of Wheats!!

Hello My Friends!

Today, I reached another milestone for the year with my 203rd silver coin recovery. :headbang: I had to give the silver park a rest because the finds are getting real slim there now. I was hoping to try and continue my silver digging frenzy this year, and by chance, I stumbled upon a spot which has greatly exceeded my expectations. All the finds in my post have come from one site in the last 7 hunts there.

Today, I dug my best barber dime from the site, an 1895 S, which is in real good shape...maybe a $250 coin? I have found barber dimes in 5 out of my last 7 hunts there(only 1 on each of those days), which amounted to 5 dime trifectas, including a semi-grand slam, with the '47 Canadian dime on one of the trifecta days.

I have dug nearly twice as many Mercs as Rosies from this spot, and only 1 silver quarter, which is a sign that this spot must have been pillaged in the 80's and 90's by weekend hunters. Most of the coins were in the 7-9" range. If I wasn't keying in on deep, one-way whisper signals, I would have missed a good number of these coins, so you really had to concentrate hard to find them. Out of over 200 wheaties dug, I have found just 3 Indian head pennies, an 1892, 1900, and 1906. I forgot to mention that I broke my own record one day for wheat pennies found in one hole. After digging down around 8", I ended up removing 10 wheats from one plug. I also dug 2 silver rings, one being a sterling band, and the other a hand-made piece with a tiger's eye stone.

What a spot is all I can say!! Never in my 2 years of hunting has a site produced so much for me in such a short amount of time. ::) I hope everyone can stumble upon a site like this at least once in their detecting lives. No research was required. The willingness to re-work a site that a couple of my buddies and I thought was previously hunted out was the key to "old coin" bliss. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for Looking!!
Keep The Passion High!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Attachments

• barbers.jpg
    barbers.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,031
  • IMG_3534_sm.jpg
    IMG_3534_sm.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 1,032
  • IMG_3540_sm.jpg
    IMG_3540_sm.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 1,038
  • IMG_3536_sm.jpg
    IMG_3536_sm.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 1,041
  • 1895S_Barb_043009.jpg
    1895S_Barb_043009.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,024
  • Injuns_Token.jpg
    Injuns_Token.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 1,026
  • IMG_3542_sm.jpg
    IMG_3542_sm.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 1,025
Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 5 Dime Trifectas and a Semi-Grand Slam! 51 Silvers, Injuns, 100's of Wheats!!

Dan,
I had to put on my shades to view all of that silver. 8) UNBELIEVABLE job buddy. That 1895 Barber is a super coin.
Congrats Big Dan. :icon_king:
-Doug-

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
Re: 5 Dime Trifectas and a Semi-Grand Slam! 51 Silvers, Injuns, 100's of Wheats!!

totally awesome digs! i am jealous!! :headbang: :occasion14: :wav: bigrig

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

By the handfuls Dan! Wow.. Those are some great recoveries. You are the silver king :icon_king: I wish I could come across a park like that. I just don't think they are around where I am. But I do love to hunt these farms! WTG Buddy and keep up the hard work(Fun)....Congrats...jgas

t-bucket

Bronze Member
Oct 7, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
e-track- Explorer SE explorer 2 -
Re: 5 Dime Trifectas and a Semi-Grand Slam! 51 Silvers, Injuns, 100's of Wheats

WOW do you need someone to help you hunt this weekend i am free !!!!! :laughing7:Congrats on some great finds :notworthy: :notworthy:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sweet, are you getting bored of them silver yet :D

If I were you I would start building a mock-up of the pyramids :) Only yours would be in silver & wouldn't need slaves :icon_king:

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Captn_SE said:
which is a sign that this spot must have been pillaged in the 80's and 90's by weekend hunters.

::)

Great finds from more California virgin parks! Keep up the good work!

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Silver Site #2! Congrats!

Thanks, Rob. I've got more than just 2 silver sites, but this site has produced more for me than any other site in such a short amount of time. Over the past two years, I've got about 80 different parks that have produced silver for me.

Insane, crazy.... Your getting virgin sites, Shocked no one has ever been to these parks. Roll Eyes I can't find sites like these to save my life.... icon_scratch I think the most silver I pulled in one day was 4 or 5, Huh man take me with you next time.... notworthy

Keep @ it and HH!!

No, not virgin sites by any stretch of the imagination. These spots I'm hunting were populated by millions of people over the past 80-90 years. That equates to a lot of coins dropped. None of the previous detectorists could have found every one of those coins, and I proved that. Nor will I find every coin at this site, but I'm doing as best as I can to.

I can only wish that even one of my spots would produce like that!!

Thanks, keverett!! We all do, but there's just not that many. However, a simple re-hunt of this spot led me to get all these coins with my Explorer. I would not have a chance at over 80% of these coins if I were using my older machine.

Dan,
I had to put on my shades to view all of that silver. Cool UNBELIEVABLE job buddy. That 1895 Barber is a super coin.
Congrats Big Dan. icon_king
-Doug-

Thanks, Doug!! Hope I didn't burn the retinas of your eyes. ;D

totally awesome digs! i am jealous!!

Thanks, BigRig!! :thumbsup:

By the handfuls Dan! Wow.. Those are some great recoveries. You are the silver king icon_king I wish I could come across a park like that. I just don't think they are around where I am. But I do love to hunt these farms! WTG Buddy and keep up the hard work(Fun)....Congrats...jgas

Thanks, jgas. Well, there might not be a site like this in your area, but you never know. Just like I never knew how much this site would produce until I re-visited it a few weeks ago.
Good luck to you, my friend! :thumbsup:

WOW do you need someone to help you hunt this weekend i am free !!!!! :laughing7:Congrats on some great finds

Gary, if I shared it with you, I'd probably have less than half of what I have now. ;D ;D Good luck on your next hunt! :thumbsup:

Sweet, are you getting bored of them silver yet Cheesy

If I were you I would start building a mock-up of the pyramids Smiley Only yours would be in silver & wouldn't need slaves

Thanks for the reply, Cru! I'm not sure what I'll do with all the silver. Right now, I'm just using them to build up my muscles. ;D ;D

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero

Nice finds Captn. Gotta love all that silver. :thumbsup:

What's up with that war nickle? Looks like it has no rim on the edge.

HH
Randy

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

WOW ! thats amazing and sure would be hard on the body digging in all that iron ! but it sure has paid off for you captn ! awesome finds :thumbsup: great site :o clean that place up for sure ! congrats :thumbsup:

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

Dan my man you are an amazing silver vacuum. That 1895 is in great shape.
Chris

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star

I hope to be able to tell the weak signals from rusty iron one day...

Another set of amazing finds!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icon_king:

That clown pin is neat and scary and haunting all at the same time!

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5

Whoo hooo!! What a great site and what an awesome 1895-S dime. I sold an 1895-S Barber dime a while back that was dug at an old picnic grounds. Man, if that had been an O-mint, you'd be in hog heaven. Keep on diggin' and keep on postin'!!
Steve

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)

What a pile of booty,,, great finds your on a great spot,,,,,,,thanks for letting us look,,,,,,,,,,,,arthur :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used

RPG said:
Nice finds Captn. Gotta love all that silver. :thumbsup:

What's up with that war nickle? Looks like it has no rim on the edge.

HH
Randy

Thanks, RPG. Nothing wrong with the nickel, except for the normal wear of an old coin around the edges.

weasel606 said:
WOW ! thats amazing and sure would be hard on the body digging in all that iron ! but it sure has paid off for you captn ! awesome finds :thumbsup: great site :o clean that place up for sure ! congrats :thumbsup:

Thanks, weasel!! Haven't seen you around for a while. Hope all is well with you! :thumbsup:

So much silver, so many wheats.

The parks are doomed!

;D ;D They sure are. Although the silver and wheaties are saying, "Thank you for allowing me to see the light of day again!".

Dan my man you are an amazing silver vacuum. That 1895 is in great shape.
Chris

Thanks, Chris!! Amazing finds you and your nephews have been making.....Keep up the great work!! :thumbsup:

Kimsdad said:
I hope to be able to tell the weak signals from rusty iron one day...

Another set of amazing finds!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icon_king:

That clown pin is neat and scary and haunting all at the same time!

Thanks, Neil. I had the same opinion about that clown pin when I found it. >:D

Whoo hooo!! What a great site and what an awesome 1895-S dime. I sold an 1895-S Barber dime a while back that was dug at an old picnic grounds. Man, if that had been an O-mint, you'd be in hog heaven. Keep on diggin' and keep on postin'!!
Steve

Thanks, Steve. I knew when I dug the '95 dime, that it was a good year. I was also surprised with the shape of the coin. The other barbers I found were worn, but my oldest had very little wear. :icon_scratch: Good luck to you!! Find some silver!! :thumbsup:

artzstuff1 said:
What a pile of booty,,, great finds your on a great spot,,,,,,,thanks for letting us look,,,,,,,,,,,,arthur :thumbsup:

Thanks, arthur! Good luck to you out there!! :thumbsup:

Thanks again, everyone, for all the replies!!
Hope all of you have a great detecting week! :thumbsup:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

panthr

Apr 7, 2009

Hiyas, I am trying to learn how to classify coins... I just got a copy of the redbook... would that 1895-S Barber classify as EF-40 or VF-20? EF-40 is listed as "All letters in LIBERTY sharp, distinct. Headband edges distinct." VF-20 is "Letters of LIBERTY evenly plain"

Bartman

Apr 9, 2008
Baltimore/Cambridge, MD
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, ACE 250

Awesome! Maybe your posts should just go right to the banner. That 1895 is sweet. Any semi-key "s" mints in all those wheaties?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread