5 Dollar gold piece

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
jeremeysmom23 said:
Sunday I found a $5 Dollar Gold piece dated 1886, This to me was a nice find,also found a few
other coins Three cent pieces,2 cent pieces ,and two large cents. The date range from 1844 to 1899.

Now thats funny...just a nice find!! Gold coins aren't found like wheat cnets and in 25 years of detecting I've only found one(1880 $5), so its definately more than just a nice find!! Every coin you found are to many just a dream find, congrats on some great finds and try not to be so humble!!! ;D

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
I'm trying to understand your post and maybe a little more background and some pics will help. I assume you are either talking about Canadian money (b/c I don't know anything about it) or when you say 2 "cent" pieces and 3 "cent" pieces you mean that all the coins you found were all one cent pieces ranging in date from 1844-1899, one of them being a large cent and 5 others being indian heads or flying eagles, two of which have the same date somewhere between 1858 and 1898 and three of which had a date of 1899 or vice versa. I think this is what you mean, and this is why pics and a little more detail would help. Take credit for them finds. They are nice ones.

The "2 cent piece" and the "3 cent piece" productions both ended in 1873 and large cent production ended in 1857.

vthepresident

Dec 30, 2007
Charlottesville, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Prism II, Tesoro Sand Shark
Fantastic finds! I would freak right out if I found any one of those things.

And for the critics, what happened to getting the benefit of the doubt? The thinly veiled sarcasm and coin book debunking does not encourage people to post their finds.

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I totally agree with Monty. If I found a gold anything coin, I'd flip out. Heck, silver is elusive to me! :P Congrats on your find, and we do want to see a picture. Please?? -Noodle

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeremy's Mom , I must concur with the prevailing opinion of the previous replies, you sound quite

underwhelmed by the importance of your finds. Most detectorists would consider the gold coin alone,

to be a once in a life time find and a true candidate for the banner. When you toss in the other coin finds

you've had an outrageous day hunting , congratulations ! Gregory, Santa Fe.

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe your post reads so "Matter of fact", I have been detecting for 25 years and have never found a gold coin, a 2 cent piece, a 3 cent piece or a large cent! This coming from a person who does lots of research and hunts at locations where these coins should be found. So, you should know that those are some of the pinnacle finds of this hobby. Congratulations! Now lets see some pics ;D

dugdigger

Mar 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & fisher 1265
The last time i found coins like that was at a coin show lol!

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of us only dream of finding a gold coin like that.

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skrimpy said:
The "2 cent piece" and the "3 cent piece" productions both ended in 1873 and large cent production ended in 1857.

That's interesting actually, though the Nickel 3-Cent Piece was produced until 1889, still ten years short though. :icon_scratch:

I guess this will be be explained though when she posts the pics.

HalfSpeed

Feb 10, 2008
Enid, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II, Ace 250's (2), Cobra Beach Magnet
jeremeysmom23 said:
Will post some pics soon,they were found in Pearl River Co.(Picayune, Ms.)

Fantastic find jeremeysmom :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: You give us fellow Mississipp's hope! I was beginning to think that old beer cans was all there was to find! Good job!

OP
OP
jeremeysmom23

jeremeysmom23

Greenie
Apr 10, 2008
biloxi,mississippi
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
The three cent pieces are 1866 & 1871,Large cents are 1844 & 1848,Half Cent is 1853,2 Cent piece is 1866,
And the One cent pieces are 1847 & 1899. Will post the pictures later on today or in the Morning. :icon_sunny:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, once you post those photos--as long as they're good pics--we'll have a whole banner of coins up there. ::)

Great finds!

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
....................................."Withholding my HOLY SHEEEEITS until I see pics"....................................................

p.s.......your killing me. You know this right? 8)

jsu

Nov 29, 2007
NE Georgia
Detector(s) used
EAGLE II, TIGERSHARK, COMPADRE , MXT
Okay, I got it now.You found two Large cents dated 1844 and 1848, and two small cents dated 1847 and 1899. Congrats on the "rare" finds.

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jsu said:
Okay, I got it now.You found two Large cents dated 1844 and 1848, and two small cents dated 1847 and 1899. Congrats on the rare finds.

And which 1847 small cent would that be? :icon_scratch:

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Kiros32 said:
Skrimpy said:

That's interesting actually, though the Nickel 3-Cent Piece was produced until 1889, still ten years short though. :icon_scratch:

I guess this will be be explained though when she posts the pics.

I stand corrected. Silver 3 centers stopped in 73. i guess she could have found a nickel one but I stand by my guess that is she is talking about one 1844 LC and 2 flying eagles or indians of the same year between 57 and 99 and three flying eagles or indians of the same date from 57 to 99. Either that or she is messing with our heads.

jeremeysmom23 said:
The three cent pieces are 1866 & 1871,Large cents are 1844 & 1848,Half Cent is 1853,2 Cent piece is 1866,
And the One cent pieces are 1847 & 1899. Will post the pictures later on today or in the Morning. :icon_sunny:
ah. this makes more sense. Now let's see the pics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread