$5 Gold Coin - 1913

goadster

Apr 9, 2005
Dayton, Oh
Well, an interesting last 24 hours. First, last night, I'm checking out my fiance's backyard and got a rapid pulltab beep at about 6 inches down. After pulling the dirt plug out of the ground I noticed the coin at the bottom of the plug. First I thought it was a kid's token, but after wiping it off I saw the 13 stars around the Indian head and the date 1913 at the bottom. Man, talk about a rush!!

Well, I went to a local coin shop to get some information on it. The owner was busy so this young kid took it, went over to the owner for a minute, then came back and said that it was a reproduction made of gold, and that they would only give me current gold value. I stated first that I didn't want to sell it, but was curious as to how he came to a quick conclusion that it was a reproduction. He said he could tell by the weight in his hand (how it felt to him) and the color it was. He didn't explain if it was too heavy or too light to be a real coin and couldn't explain his color question. After I prodded him more for more explanations, he then said that you can always tell a reproduction by a line around the edge where the two sides were in the mold. I asked him to show me a line and he said that my coin didn't have a line but that didn't mean anything, but they would be happy to give me current value for only the gold content. I left with a real bad taste in my mouth about this store. My questions to one and all are the following.

1) Why, and did they make actual reproductions out of solid gold, and what would be the purpose?
2) If it was just like the original, wouldn't that be illegal?
3) Do you think he was trying to rip me off?
4) Since it was 6 inches deep, how could it be a repro? He said "Oh, they've made them for a long time.
Thanks to one and all for letting me ramble, but these last 24 hrs. have been a roller coaster ride......Attached are pics. of the coin. Sorry for the clarity. Seems like the scanner was having trouble with the glare of the coin.....
Thanks!!!!!!! And as always,,,,,,Keep digging!!!! Goadster

Attachments

• Gold Indian front.jpg
    Gold Indian front.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 2,043
  • Gold eagle back.jpg
    Gold eagle back.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 2,181
Upvote 0

buckeyehunter

Jan 29, 2005
Lancaster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
e-trac
hey goadster, I live in dayton also! nice to see someone else from dayton ! I have been up to the crossroads coin shop in Vandalia a few times and have had good luck, My brother lives closer to xenia and goes over to that shop all the time, says the guy is great, I have never been there but you might want to try him out!

OP
OP
goadster

goadster

Apr 9, 2005
Dayton, Oh
Good to hear from a local Daytonian, Mike.......Sad to report,,,,,Crossroads Coins is exactly where I went!! I have always heard good things about it, but it just seemed like this young dude was trying to show his boss how good he was.......I was very disappointed in his actions......I'm going south of town and get another opinion. If it comes out the way that I think it should, you better believe I'm gonna go back and visit the "Crossroads" and have a talk with the owner.......Thanks to one and all, and hi to you, Mike!!

Goadster from Dayton......

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any EXACT reproduction would have to Be a Different size, Or Have the Word COPY Stamped on it.

Otherwise it would be Counterfiet.

My Guess, He tryed to Rip you off.

NICE FIND

CONGRATS.

Jeff

Attachments

• ex-sov.jpg
    ex-sov.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 2,040
  • ex-sov.jpg
    ex-sov.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 2,020
OP
OP
goadster

goadster

Apr 9, 2005
Dayton, Oh
Thanks, Jeff......I appreciate the support AND valuable information........I will keep you posted what happens so as others can stay on their toes.......,,,,Thanks again!!! Goadster from Dayton

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
looks real to me! that guy was trying to pull a fast one! awesome find. maybe even the find of a lifetime!!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SOME INFO FROM THE RED BOOK>

Weight 8.359 Grams

Diameter 21.6 MM

Reeded Edge

one more thing, Why would Someone Counterfiet a Gold Coin that is Not an Extremely RARE Gold coin,

With REAL GOLD ?

OP
OP
goadster

goadster

Apr 9, 2005
Dayton, Oh
Great information!! Thanks.....I will check it out and keep you posted....I hate to think that a dealer would do something like that, but I will refrain til I research some more before I go back and have a "talk" with them.......I'm off to check the diameter and weight.............Goadster from Dayton.....

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW goadster,that is one AWESOME find!! That coin is real no doubt.I look forward to hearing what the fella has to say after you get a 2nd opinion telling you its the real mccoy.Good luck

OP
OP
goadster

goadster

Apr 9, 2005
Dayton, Oh
While I'm on the subject of gold coins, does anyone know what kind of gold they used, such as 10K,,14K,,24K,,,,,,,or didn't they use that method??? As always, thanks for all of your help and comments........Goadster

EURUS

Jul 25, 2005
Should be 90% gold, 10% copper. The young fellow learned his craft from the boss. This type of thing happens all the time. Congrats on the gold coin!

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Totally awesome,, WTG!!!
Don't let'em get ya,,, I would say he wanted that coin as bad as any of us... ;D
Good luck & Happy hunting~

B

Barelyclad

WOW :o

Let me see. I take actual gold, smelt it and make a fake coin out of it and then I throw it away. Why didn't I think of that. If it is as suspected the dealer should be drawn and quartered. Or at least fully exposed. I wonder how he dupes little old ladies. Looks like a nice find, keep us posted.

HH

BC

wingman

Mar 17, 2004
johnstown,ohio
Detector(s) used
ace 250
simply put...beautiful!were you using the 250 to find it?if so did it come up in the gold section or the coin/silver section?

mgdigger

Jan 31, 2004
Los Osos, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 and ACE 250
It does not look as crisp as a mint coin should. if someone use a lesser amount of gold to make fakes then it would be profitable to do so. i would have i checked else where and get it weighed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread