Last edited:

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not sure what is happening but you have one of the best machines made for relic hunting. Will it air test beyond 3 inches? Remember, relics and such have been in the ground for many years and develop a halo that reacts differently than a modern item just buried. I wish I had not sold the one I had years ago!
Mike

OP
OP
asphaltcowboy23

asphaltcowboy23

Jun 4, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Mxt, Whites 6000 di pro sl, Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm getting 6-9 inches on the air test with everything set on preset.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forget halo. Your detector, which is a good one, should be doing far better. Though your doing better in air tests I should still check out the state of the battery terminals and give a good clean if required.

Only other things it could be is incorrect ground balance, a fault in the detector itself or perhaps the discrimination knob has been off and replaced incorrectly so your using a much higher level of discrimination than the pre set position indicates (the pre set is a little high anyhow unless your just working rubbish infested parks). Also see if TR mode (that doesn't use G.B.) is any better than the other modes though you will have to be on sand or mild soil.

Last resort is to try another coil just in case but it doesn't really sound like a coil fault. Best of luck.

OP
OP
asphaltcowboy23

asphaltcowboy23

Jun 4, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I checked the battery terminals and batteries and they were both good. what would be a good coil to get if it highly mineralised?

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Normally dd coils work better in high mineralization. Don't know what coils your machine uses.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think Whites ever produced a DD coil for the 5900 or 6000 range. You could get DD's made in Europe for the Classic range (and the fantastic Turbo Classics) but Whites really dragged their feet in going into DD's.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
3-4" isn't awful bad for some areas. That seems to be an average depth for coins.

Ground balancing that machine is the most critical function. Without it being balanced properly, you'll never get good depth. I own the 6000DiPro and they are almost identical machines and I can attest to the difficulty of ground balancing in highly mineralized soils.

Try balancing with the disc set at grnd reject if you're getting changes in the tone when you balance it.There is a very narrow window to balance those properly with mineralization. Just keep tweeking til you get that steady threshold tone when you lower the loop.
You got a very good machine and it's capable of 10 inches on a coin and at least 18" on a rusty beer can...lol.

Not to discourage you but there has been a couple places I couldn't balance my machine...but only a couple. One was a spot in a ballfield...the machine just kept going null no matter what I did...and just an area of about 4 square feet. The other was a slope where people went sledding....no top soil to speak of, mostly exposed clay and shale. Some day I'll get back there with my Vision and see how that works.
Good luck.

Al

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you don't need to be ground balanced exact. I walk and hold the detector up to get the ground balance then as you go along you will find the clear piece of ground to balance over. just get it close at first the walk... wears your single balance at. I seen the pro's around here take that 5900 and go up to a car at a bout 4 feet and in geb norm turn the sig.balance until it picks up the car. then they take off and ground balance as they go trying to push that single all the way down...

OP
OP
asphaltcowboy23

asphaltcowboy23

Jun 4, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the information. I'm goin to try and work with it some more i think I will really like it when I figure it out. I've been looking at a 600 deep scan coil do you think that might help?

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes. but the 950 is a hot loop the blue max deep scan with the yellow lighting bolts, the 600 is it the same as the 800 deep scan, if it is then it's a good after market loop...try it ans see it mite be the coil to bad you didn't live right by we could swap coils to try out.

Last edited:

jwm45

Sep 5, 2011
south texas
Detector(s) used
,f-5,simplex 2.68: simplex + 2.78
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
6.59 KHZ FREQUENCY COILS HARD TO FIND ,MAYBE THE 15" CONCENTRIC COIL, BUT THIS IS FOR BIG DEEP TARGET:icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread