gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
My first MD well other than my Gpas old fingerhut model:laughing7:! How is it in hill country (lots of sandstone in the area) So I will buy the used M6 tomorrow for under 400 (2006 model) good deal. Any help with settings would be great.
Thanks

Use multitone (toggle forward). Use your ears. Dont look at the screen. Get a decent gb and use sensible sense. M6 is a decent deep machine. If you dont know good modern vlf machines, nobody can give you any real rock solid advice. Read the user manual and put two hundred hours on it and get back to us with your very good finds.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The M6 is a great detector. You will like it. Advise, very little, it is quite easy to work with it and it's not complicated. It has multitones so you have a great advantage there.

Good Luck and HH

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For best depth get a D2 coil(10"DD) and you'll probably want a smaller coil for area's that have more than average trash 6x10 is pretty good for moderate trash or if extremely trashy the 4x6 will be a good choice. All coils have their place but don't expect to get the same depth from a smaller coil, if your into that sort of thing I hear the 4x6 is great for tot lots and under $400.00 is a great deal if its in good shape and working order. HH

Last edited:

Brian NH

Aug 20, 2012
Rochester NH
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro withh 11" DD Coil
Deteknix Xpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first MD well other than my Gpas old fingerhut model:laughing7:! How is it in hill country (lots of sandstone in the area) So I will buy the used M6 tomorrow for under 400 (2006 model) good deal. Any help with settings would be great.
Thanks

I'm also in the same boat.
I too Just picked up (2006) model M6 $425 in like new condition just a couple small scratches on coil everything else is like new. :thumbsup:
Tried air test on different metals I had in garage, seemed to work just fine.
HH good luck.

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm also in the same boat.
I too Just picked up (2006) model M6 $424 in like new condition just a couple small scratches on coil everything else is like new. :thumbsup:
Tried air test on different metals I had in garage, seemed to work just fine.
HH good luck.
NH you say,with that machine you'll do all right,and,THEN SOME!!!!!!!! God Bless Chris

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Never used one in that type terrain, New England soil it's a KILLER, IMHO it is a well kept secret,the 6x10 DD is where it's at,you will have to learn that machine by USING it, EXPERIENCE is the only teacher! A LOT of good advice in previous posts. Very NICE md my friend,lookin forward to your finds. God Bless Chis

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Husband uses an M6 with DD coil in New Hampshire. (He prefers it over our Garrett GTi2500). He especially likes the pinpointing on the machine. He has found coins in soil 6"- 8" deep and jewelry/clad in dry sand up to 8" deep. Aside from his Excalibur II, the M6 is his go-to machine. Both stock coil and DD coil are very good on the M6 - coil use depends on where you are and what you are hunting for. (Very trashy area - use the DD coil).

Advice - practice, practice, practice. Try to get a hold of the DVD that White's sends out with the M6, it is very informative. Learn your sounds. Dig EVERYTHING! Don't necessarily rely on the screen - go by the tones. Most of all - get out there and swing the coil low and slow - and have fun!

Hope you find lots of goodies.

HH,
Anita

shack24

May 26, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gta 500; Garrett Ace 350; Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DHaze - I upgraded from an Ace 350 to the M6 about a year ago. I had my ups and downs with it just because I was impatient. I Almost traded it and then backed out as I quickly found that the other fellow was dishonest and ripping me off. I have since put hundreds of hours on the machine and I LOVE IT! You have received some fantastic advice from everyone on here, like dig EVERYTHING, especially at first.
What I did not understand about my machine when I first got it is that depth will lower your vdi #'s. If you are going to use multitone, which I do and it is amazing, dig all of the solid signals, especially those deep ones. since your vdi will drop so will your tones. So if you are only listening for the high tones you will miss out on the deep coins whose vdi has dropped making the tone drop as well. Once I figured this out, my old coin finds went way up. I shudder at the thought of how many good finds I skipped over during my first 6 months.
What I really like about the machine is that if I want to be selective about what I dig, I can be. With the 350 I really had no idea what it might be. I like to knock on doors of homes built in the 30's and 40's in my area and never felt confident doing that with the 350 because I was afraid I would make their yards look like it had been shelled.
With the M6 the VDI is so awesome down to 5" or so that I could tell if it was silver or clad.(for the most part) Silver dimes would ring in at 80-81 while clad dimes would come in at 78-79 and maybe 80.
I have 3 different coils, the stock, 6X10 DD and I just got a 10X12 SEF. I love all 3. I use the 6X10 most of the time/ The numbers are solid and the separation and pinpointing are superb. The depth is alright, which is why I got the 10x12. In big open areas it is a beast. I went to an area I have pounded with my stock coil and 6X10 and got a solid high tone signal with the SEF. The soil was extremely dry and hard and it turned out to be a mini ball about 10-11 inches down. The SEF does like old iron the most of the 3 coils and doesn't work as well in trashy areas as the 6X10 but in areas where I don't worry about digging a lot of holes it is a trade off that I am willing to make.
Hope this helps and good luck with your machine!

Jared

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread