6 lbs. of silver

cryptic

Oct 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IMAG0203.jpg Finally was able to get out of the house and go do some metal detecting. Fighting off the mosquitos, horseflies, and super humid temperature I got a good hit. Wooah! What a nice piece of silver! After an acid bath it weighs close to 6 lbs. My best piece yet :)

Attachments

• IMAG0210.jpg
    IMAG0210.jpg
    1,012 KB · Views: 430
Last edited:
Upvote 1

Bunker

Apr 6, 2010
St. Pete, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / Etrac / T2se / Blisstool V5
Pistol Probe / Pro Pointer / VibraProbe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!! :headbang:
Congrats,
Bunker

OP
OP
C

cryptic

Oct 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh yes more details. I'm not sure what to say. :) It is raw natural silver ore which comes from Cobalt, Ontario. This piece was found in some old mine tailings. The funny thing is that probably hundreds have people over the years have walked right over the spot where this piece was found while looking/detecting for silver. It was that close to the road. I got a single at about 5 inches down and it turned out to be a small piece of silver. Scan the hole again and there was another small piece at about 11 inches. Dug that one out and then again got a really good signal. At about 20 inches deep i pulled out the one shown in the picture. I rescanned the hole again and got a couple weak signals from my detector which means there is probably more down there ever deeper. It was very hot that day and the bugs were driving me crazy so i packed it up and went home. I will be back again to dig another couple feet in the hole when it is not so hot and the bugs are not as bad. :) I am not sure what else to say so if you have any questions about it feel free to ask :)

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Congrats. Awesome find!

Nutriasub

Nov 16, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Garret Pro Pointer
Is the second pic after the acid bath?
I'm still in awe! What a great find, I'm voting banner.
Could you put more pics of the other pieces of silver?

Thanks

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing. Is it worth more as a specimen or is it better to just melt in down. Wish I could find something like that here in Colorado!

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome silver find,hope you get alot more when you go back.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
C

cryptic

Oct 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm not sure if it would be worth more as a specimen or melt value. Here are some better pictures showing the silver. There is also a picture of the other couple of pieces found in the same hole but they are not cleaned up yet.
IMAG0220.jpg IMAG0223.jpg IMAG0224.jpg IMAG0228.jpg IMAG0229.jpg

jrandy

Jan 13, 2010
San Angelo TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GPT 1350, Predator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug ore and melted silver, it never looked like that ?But hey nice find:occasion14:

Chrystal

Apr 5, 2012
Pauls Valley, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a cow patty to me but hey if everyone says its silver i guess it is. One question, if you melt it down would it look like silver? Ive just never seen anything like that so please dont take it personal!!!

OP
OP
C

cryptic

Oct 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sold the piece to dealer. If it would have been a better looking specimen I might have kept it for myself. I thought it was kind of ugly too but silver is silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread