p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
7/17/10 - Awesome hunt -- Shield nickel and 2 V's plus vintage 20's key Fob

Hi all,
Braved the heat in the woods today and got another first. About 15 minutes into my hunt, on a small knoll I hit a nickel signal, remind you these are my awesome though sparse woods, so I knew it was an oldie! It was right on the surface -- a 1912 V nickel -- a real surprise to me b/c the great multitude of V's I had pulled from here were 1900-1909's, a bit late for my grove ??? . That was nothing compared to what was next. Eight inches away from my first nickel was another nickel target. This one was 2 inches underground. When I recovered it, I just figured it was another V. Although I've pulled a seated (1888) and a '73 and '80 Indian Head from this place, given the great multitude of early 1900's Vs, I just assumed V. I was going to throw it in my bag, but decided to check for a date. After wetting and rubbing it, I saw the vertical lines of a shield staring back at me! :thumbsup: Real excited. My first Shield nickel, and a rare find. Then just another 6-8 inches, forming a triangle, I get another nickel signal. I am definitely digging! This one ended up being another V, 1902. (later I find out my shield is an 1882, so I got 1882, 1902, and 1912, where's my 1892 :dontknow: ). Anyway I hunted that area for another couple hours or so and found what I thought was a luggage tag -- I could make out 'the OK McCormickLine ok all over the world' on it. I figured it was from a shipping or oceanliner line or something. As I was cleaning it, I did some internet research and found out it was a promotional key fob from the 1920's-1930's for International Harvester (The OK McCormick-Deering Line). That's all I could find out. If any of you know anything more about the fob, I'd appreciate the info.

7:17:10nickelsA.jpg
Although probably can't see in photo, the 1912 V has incredibly good details
7:17:10nickelsB.jpg

McCormick-DeeringIHFob.jpg
I maybe could have cleaned the shield more, but I was afraid of wiping coin and detail away. I sonicated it, and scrubbed lightly with soap. I am not sure if the green crusty stuff would take good parts of coin off. I can see United States of America on the reverse, In God we Trust on the obverse. A couple of the stars around the '5', and I can barely make out the 5. Originally the 5 was completely gone under green stuff. But I stopped while ahead. Earlier in the year I found a V kind of like this and ended up loosing a lot of the coin when cleaning.
FirstSheildA.jpgFirstSheildB.jpg

Re: 7/17/10 - Awesome hunt -- Shield nickel and 2 V's plus vinatage 20's key Fob

WoW!! You da man. I can't believe how shallow those were (especially the shield). Awesome.
HH
John

Re: 7/17/10 - Awesome hunt -- Shield nickel and 2 V's plus vintage 20's key Fob

Great going Jon with one exception, I wasn't there!
Awesome!

Congrates Jon on getting a shield with those V's.

You sure are kickin a#* on those nickels. Congrats. :thumbsup:

Very cool nickels and AWESOME fob!!

I love that stuff :thumbsup:

Wow Jon! You are find V nickels like Joe finds war nickels!

Congratulations on the shield nickel also!

Congrats !!!!!!!! on "" Not bad"" Hunting .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back