9 gallons of pennies!! 3 Gallons wheat!!

cchunter

Feb 28, 2009
Brewster, Cape Cod MA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro / Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was cleaning a basement for a customer that the husband had past away. I got to keep all the fly fishing, tools ect that I wanted. They paid for the dumpster I just had to fill it. The son new about the pennies his father had collected. I told him I was interest in them and original they were going to keep the the pennies. Then the son said I will never do any thing with them and asked how much I would give for them. I said I'll give you $100 he said fine. So I got 4 gallon jugs and a 5 gallon bucket with about 4 gallons in it. I had to take some pennies out of the 5 just to get it up the stairs. He had collected these pennies from the 60's till the late 70's. I have gone threw them and separated the wheats from the lot. Ended up with almost 3 gallons of wheats. I also pulled out almost every year and mint penny from the 60's and 70's. Most of them are in almost mint condition not being in circulation long. As for the rest my son and I brought them to the bank and put the in the coin counter machine. They were not to happy when I came in with a wagon with 6 gallons of pennies. we filled the machine and they had to put empty bags in. Not knowing how much is in a gallon of pennies I was surprised when I ended up with $480 out of the 6 gallons. I called the son and told him how much I got for them and he said keep it you earned it! Some day when the kids are grow I will sit down and go threw the wheats and see if there are any key dates.
d3e75bfd.jpg

aefc5c5d.jpg

02f56152.jpg

Upvote 0

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good gosh! Dang...there could be a few 1909 S VDB's in there! Wouldn't that be nice?

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations! Now that's a lot of pennies.

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
F75 se / Minelab Soveriogn / sunray probe/ whites classic Id/ pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
sort em bit by bit --there could be some killer cent finds ther 1955 d double die --1909 s vdb -- 1914 d --1922

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
That' awesome!
Why wait till the kids are grown!
Just let 'em get old enough to help you sort those rascals.

OP
OP
cchunter

cchunter

Feb 28, 2009
Brewster, Cape Cod MA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro / Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Discrimination Dave said:
That' awesome!
Why wait till the kids are grown!
Just let 'em get old enough to help you sort those rascals.

They helped me sort the wheats out!!

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With your story you should list these by the roll on ebay as "Unsearched Wheaties". You will
probably be able to make$9+ on each roll. Thats alot of Coin! and.... with the cash, you can parlay it into a really nice rare coin.

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
:icon_thumright:

wow- that is a great haul!!!! congrats man. thanks for sharing the pics! :icon_thumleft:

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of those wheats in the last pic look awesome. I bet there is some cash in the ones that aren't key date too. Looks like alot of fun ahead of you.

Graddick

Sep 17, 2011
Ottawa
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of those Wheat Cents look to be in mint state.

HOW CAN YOU KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF THOSE?

windage

Apr 3, 2011
Mason-Dixon Line
Detector(s) used
eyes, ears, wet finger in the wind and old willow sticks, when that don't work; Minelabs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"buckets-o-fun"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions