9 Silver Day!! Dug my 303rd Silver Coin for the Year!!!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hello Everyone,

First let me just say, "What a Day!!!"

I met an md'ing buddy, Mike, early this morning at a well hunted park, and surpassed my expectations there. Shortly after digging my first silver, a mint '23s merc, my other md'ing buddy, Jayson, arrived and the three of us moved to a different area of the park. Within minutes, I found my second merc of the day, a '43. Jayson had to leave early, so Mike and I continued our raping and pillaging. ;D

After getting numerous wheaties, we both broke for lunch. I was at #296, and wondering if I would get #300 today. It was going to be tough, but I wanted to do my best. During lunch, Mike was telling me that he once dug a large # of oldies out of a single hole from the park we were md'ing. I thought to myself, I wish I could hit a hole like that. Well, when we got back to the park, my wish came true. A fellow forumite, Thomas, came to join us for a while, and I think he brought me some good luck. Thanks, Thomas. It was great meeting you!!! About 10 minutes after meeting him, I got a signal next to a palm tree (there's no other tree that could be more appropriate; for those that don't know my history with palm trees and good finds; they go together :D ). I let both Mike and Thomas listen to the signal. They both said it sounded good. I began digging, and was rewarded with a merc. I rechecked the hole, and it still sounded good. Dug a little more and a second merc pops out. Mike said, "Unbelievable, check the hole again". So I did, and I still received a good signal. Dug a little more, and my third merc pops out of the hole. I was at #299, and thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be just perfect if there was 1 more merc in the hole. After checking the hole, there was no signal, so I put the dirt back in, and swung my coil over it. There was still something there. Mike kneeled down next to me by the hole and he began taking some of the dirt out. We found two wheaties. The coins just kept coming out of this "honey hole". Mike thought that was the end of the goodies so, both him and Thomas started to get back to detecting. I took one last swing over the hole, and believe it or not, there was still a good, but deep signal right on the edge of my plug. I yelled to Mike, "There's more!!!". I took some of the dirt out of the original plug, and widened it a little. Down about 6", I saw the white colored coin. It was too good to be true.....my 4th merc from the hole, giving me my 300th silver coin for the year. ::) Of course I checked the hole again, but that was it.

I found three more silver (2 mercs + 1 lonely Rosie) after that, and a bunch more wheaties.

It was a long day, but it was quite enjoyable. Both Mike and I hobbled back to our cars. I'll never forget the 4-bagger of mercs + 2 wheats in one hole, next to a palm tree, that I dug to to attain another milestone in what has been a most memorable year for me so far.

Total oldies today:
8 Mercs ('23, '35, '36, '40, '41, '42, '43(2))
1 Rosie ('47)
28 Wheats (incl. '11, '12, '15, '16(2))

Thanks for looking,
HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

For those interested, here's a pic of my 303 silver.

Please Click Image for Larger Size...

Another perspective...

Attachments

• IMG_1069 (660 x 495).jpg
    IMG_1069 (660 x 495).jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 905
Upvote 0

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
::) Wow, Capt., what a sweet silver day! I was waiting for you to say, "And then I woke up from my dream." LOL Keep digging!

HH

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
Nice silver haul,WTG

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
GoldenRoyBoy said:
Captain!
For sure you have doubters but your story made a believer out of me! Great job!
Now, one question; how's the knees? :)

GRB

GRB, my knees feel great!!!! I only get down on my right knee to dig. I've got a good kneepad. The only part of my body that gets swollen/sore is my right hand. Swinging the SE, and digging deep plugs with the Lesche really does a number on it. I can barely bend it in the morning, but once it gets warmed up, it's okay.

For all the doubters out there, go to the California Kinzli Detecting Forum....you can see each and every post I made since Jan. '07. In fact, all the forumites on Kinzli are playing a guessing game for prizes based on my year end silver count. I'm well known on that site....here, I'm just another md'er who makes great finds with his SE.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

M-Squared

Mar 4, 2007
Long Beach, California
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum XLT & Bullseye II Probe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats as always. The combination of your experience with the setting of your Explorer, MD skills and luck have served you well.

I hope to run into you one of these days at a local school or park.

I strongly believe that the 1-6" depth range at many of the well known schools and parks in the area have been hit "hard" for silver.

My question(s) to you are..

(1) What percentage of your silver finds are recovered past the at the 6+" depth.
(2) What is your ratio of silver to clad. Mine is quite low (<.002%) of total coin count but I realize that there are a number of reasons for that.

HH from MM

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
I see you had another great day! Posting finds is great!!! do you offer or ever thought of offering a course on the explorer...I see a ton of confused explorer users...have you thought of writing a book? I think it would pay off big time! Obviously if you are finding all these you are a step above the competition. I have found 4 silver coins all year..that is it! My ratio is 900 coins to each silver coin, obviously having a different detector it would be hard for you to tell me which adjustments to make...are you an active member in the explorer classroom at findmall? I see a ton of people you could share your knowledge and experience with. How many people have you turned around and now have also been finding a lot of silver? Must be a lot...all I find is clad and I end up helping quite a few with just basic adjustments...and believe me obviously I am no expert...Were you one of the people that took part in the explorer and dfx hunt where a whites dealer said how he was outhunted?

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
303 Silver Coins In One Season !!?? I dug 2, what the heck am I doing wrong??

Keep @ it and HH!!

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Wow, you have had a great year. Time to quite and leave some for others :)

I have heard a lot of people say that Mercs are the most common silver they find, but I have only found one so far. I have found a lot more rosies and barbers than mercs, odd.

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DFX-Gregg said:
...have you thought of writing a book? I think it would pay off big time! Obviously if you are finding all these you are a step above the competition.

Great finds. That is quite an accomplishment. And I'm hoping to get 100 of each type of CLAD coins by the end of the year with 1500 total coins. My Garrett seems to only love copper. :'(. Can't complain about how many rings it finds, though. :)

Publishing a quality e-book is actually quite cheap. (around $1K) and could reap big profits if it sells. Just a thought. Can't have to many good MD books in the world ;).

HH.

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Gribnitz said:
Wow, you have had a great year. Time to quite and leave some for others :)

I have heard a lot of people say that Mercs are the most common silver they find, but I have only found one so far. I have found a lot more rosies and barbers than mercs, odd.

Thanks Gribnitz. Yes, I think I have found more mercs than rosies. I think I'm getting all the silver that was missed back in the 80's by detectorists because of the depth limitations of the machines back then, and because many of the silver coins I've found were next to or underneath trash metal objects. The SE is great at finding deep coins (6-9" range) and coins partially masked by a higher surface trash object. You have to know the machine though to be proficient at finding those types of coins. Once you do, look out turf!!! ;D

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Thanks, Sheldius. My md'ing buddy has a Garrett 2500 and predominantly has a hard time finding silver coins deeper than 6". Many times, he was unable to hear a deep silver coin signal that I just detected with my SE. However, like you said, he does find the rings.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Sheldius said:
DFX-Gregg said:
...have you thought of writing a book? I think it would pay off big time! Obviously if you are finding all these you are a step above the competition.

Great finds. That is quite an accomplishment. And I'm hoping to get 100 of each type of CLAD coins by the end of the year with 1500 total coins. My Garrett seems to only love copper. :'(. Can't complain about how many rings it finds, though. :)

Publishing a quality e-book is actually quite cheap. (around $1K) and could reap big profits if it sells. Just a thought. Can't have to many good MD books in the world ;).

HH.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Wow!!!, Congrats on the honey hole,,, and also on a great year so far, WTG!!!
Send me some of your luck, If I don't find me some new sites to hunt, I think I'm going to need it this year... ;D
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions