9 Silver Day!! Dug my 303rd Silver Coin for the Year!!!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hello Everyone,

First let me just say, "What a Day!!!"

I met an md'ing buddy, Mike, early this morning at a well hunted park, and surpassed my expectations there. Shortly after digging my first silver, a mint '23s merc, my other md'ing buddy, Jayson, arrived and the three of us moved to a different area of the park. Within minutes, I found my second merc of the day, a '43. Jayson had to leave early, so Mike and I continued our raping and pillaging. ;D

After getting numerous wheaties, we both broke for lunch. I was at #296, and wondering if I would get #300 today. It was going to be tough, but I wanted to do my best. During lunch, Mike was telling me that he once dug a large # of oldies out of a single hole from the park we were md'ing. I thought to myself, I wish I could hit a hole like that. Well, when we got back to the park, my wish came true. A fellow forumite, Thomas, came to join us for a while, and I think he brought me some good luck. Thanks, Thomas. It was great meeting you!!! About 10 minutes after meeting him, I got a signal next to a palm tree (there's no other tree that could be more appropriate; for those that don't know my history with palm trees and good finds; they go together :D ). I let both Mike and Thomas listen to the signal. They both said it sounded good. I began digging, and was rewarded with a merc. I rechecked the hole, and it still sounded good. Dug a little more and a second merc pops out. Mike said, "Unbelievable, check the hole again". So I did, and I still received a good signal. Dug a little more, and my third merc pops out of the hole. I was at #299, and thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be just perfect if there was 1 more merc in the hole. After checking the hole, there was no signal, so I put the dirt back in, and swung my coil over it. There was still something there. Mike kneeled down next to me by the hole and he began taking some of the dirt out. We found two wheaties. The coins just kept coming out of this "honey hole". Mike thought that was the end of the goodies so, both him and Thomas started to get back to detecting. I took one last swing over the hole, and believe it or not, there was still a good, but deep signal right on the edge of my plug. I yelled to Mike, "There's more!!!". I took some of the dirt out of the original plug, and widened it a little. Down about 6", I saw the white colored coin. It was too good to be true.....my 4th merc from the hole, giving me my 300th silver coin for the year. ::) Of course I checked the hole again, but that was it.

I found three more silver (2 mercs + 1 lonely Rosie) after that, and a bunch more wheaties.

It was a long day, but it was quite enjoyable. Both Mike and I hobbled back to our cars. I'll never forget the 4-bagger of mercs + 2 wheats in one hole, next to a palm tree, that I dug to to attain another milestone in what has been a most memorable year for me so far.

Total oldies today:
8 Mercs ('23, '35, '36, '40, '41, '42, '43(2))
1 Rosie ('47)
28 Wheats (incl. '11, '12, '15, '16(2))

Thanks for looking,
HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

For those interested, here's a pic of my 303 silver.

Please Click Image for Larger Size...

Another perspective...

Attachments

• IMG_1069 (660 x 495).jpg
    IMG_1069 (660 x 495).jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 905
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
DFX-Gregg said:
Thanks for the personal message. I am glad I was able to communicate with you without this becoming one of those silly back and forth arguments.... ;)

No problem, Gregg.....Thanks for the replies.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

R

RUDY2003

Holy Crap captn, thatsw one heck of a story. Fantastic finds and great day for you..
Handshake on 300....
Keep safe...

B

BIG61AL

303RD FOR THE YEAR! Dude, I have not found one silver coin this year. Great for you - bad for me.

oknorom

Sep 17, 2004
Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
hi everyone,

capt SE is one of my hunting buddies and i have seen the majority of his silver come out of the ground. he really is amazing. my 2500 can't hear a lot of those deep signals he calls me over to check. the captain just has a knack for hearing those little blips that make him stop and evaluate a signal from all angles. it's one thing to hear a signal that someone has found, marked and called you over to hear...but it's another to be the first to find signals like those in the field. the capt. has that ability. maybe it's the 1000's of hours he has on his SE!
anyway, hunting with him has convinced me that my gti 2500 just isn't cutting it. i couldn't handle having two wheaties in my pocket and him having 15 wheats and multiple silver in HIS pocket! i recently bought an explorer XS on ebay...it should be here next week. the first thing im going to do is meet up with the captain and do some signal comparisons.

someone mentioned something about the capt. giving lessons or writing a book. i think both are good ideas.

HH, Mike

p.s. thanks for all the vitamin water, dan!

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How exciting for you! I just LOVE to read stories like this..WTG on the awesome finds!

Nat

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
What a post.........very well written. That kind of silver haul is exceptional. What else to say but wow and congrats Capt!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread