.999 pure silver being sold for only $18/oz??? scam?? (link in post)

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old saying comes to mind.

"If it looks too good to be true, it probably is."

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SilverAg47 said:

Ioffer is a knock off of EBay. Everything is way overpriced and most vendors only check once or so a week. The offer you see, check the date of the post, betcha he/she posted when silver was that price and haven't been back to check since.

Not a good place to do business!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would people buy from China especially silver when there's all sorts of GREAT information about forgeries ???, unbelievable. Great Post

OP
OP
SilverAg47

SilverAg47

Greenie
Dec 13, 2010
ok, somehow this seller has 99% positive feedback on 68 transactions. However, I looked through some of the questions/comments on his items:

"Do not buy this silver!! I found the exact listing on ebay, the pictures are stolen! google trustworthy treasure ebay and see...."

"For Buyers out there, If you buy From China, and the price is Low, It is because it is not real Silver, or not a real auction. This is posted on an auction I just found on Ebay Paypal SUX can take weeks to get money Back If seller closes account You loose"

"BECAUSE YOU DONT HAVE THE SILVER!!!! FA Q...BUYER BEWARE SELLER IS FRAUD"

"Reading comments on your other items as well as this one I have decided that you are not someone I want to do business with. My offer is withdrawn and I won't be doing business with you...."

blai745

May 5, 2010
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW so much silver at HALF SPOT... either 2% a chance I will make alot of money...or 98% chance I will have spent alot of money on junk.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a couple of "solid 14k" rings a while back on ebay... Asked him if they were indeed "solid gold" and he replied yes... He was from china..
So I figure, hell $.99 for a solid god ring and $14.00 shipping, what the heck.. So I did... Took two months to get them, and they are gold, heavy, and really beautiful (until you look at the poor castings under a loop)... Well, I complained to ebay that I had not received them after 6 weeks, they then tried to contact seller and after no reply, refunded me my full amount.. One week later, after my full refund, the rings arrived.. They do test positive for 14k on a simple rub and acid test, but I KNOW they cant be solid gold.. Havent cut them to test, they are just too pretty, but might just to see...

But you are NOT going to get what you pay for with anything you purchase from Hong Kong, China, etc., unless you are going to pay what they are actually worth.

I can guarantee you that the coin in question is thinly plated gold over another metal, and probably not silver...

blai745

May 5, 2010
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Surfer said:
I bought a couple of "solid 14k" rings a while back on ebay... Asked him if they were indeed "solid gold" and he replied yes... He was from china..
So I figure, hell $.99 for a solid god ring and $14.00 shipping, what the heck.. So I did... Took two months to get them, and they are gold, heavy, and really beautiful (until you look at the poor castings under a loop)... Well, I complained to ebay that I had not received them after 6 weeks, they then tried to contact seller and after no reply, refunded me my full amount.. One week later, after my full refund, the rings arrived.. They do test positive for 14k on a simple rub and acid test, but I KNOW they cant be solid gold.. Havent cut them to test, they are just too pretty, but might just to see...

But you are NOT going to get what you pay for with anything you purchase from Hong Kong, China, etc., unless you are going to pay what they are actually worth.

I can guarantee you that the coin in question is thinly plated gold over another metal, and probably not silver...
yea I know..I myself am chinese and no asian would sell a ring thats like has $100 in gold melt value and sell it for .99 cents plus shipping...he might as well go to a refinery.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got in a pissy mood last year. I was sick and tired of seeing all the blatant lies and tricks on ebay to sell precious metals. So I did some research on ebay and it didn't take long to find a 14K gild ring for 99¢ and only a few $$ shipping, from where else?? Hong Kong. (yes he spelled it 14K gild) I ordered it and in a few weeks got myself a nice looking (until I pulled out my loop) ring marked 14K. I pulled out my tester and file and got down to base metal and tested and sure enough junk. I had a few message conversations with the guy whose English was real good at times and terrible at times. (might have been different people using the same name)

He claimed it was gild (his sneaky way of saying plated) I contacted ebay that he was using misleading words and they agreed with me and refunded the money. But I know ebay did nothing to punish him, his feedback is in the thousands and that means $$ to ebay.

Just do an ebay search for gild ring I just found 64 hits and every one I opened was from China. Only one was a gilded bronze basket from Florida. Hong Kong is one of my favorite ports I wonder if the Rolex I bought last time i was there is a fake too? Naa couldn't be. :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread