A Beach Battle

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was standing at the edge of the water, head turned to the right with my chin up, eyes peering down the beach at the metal detecting beauty who was preparing to step into, ā€œmy domain.ā€ Eventually our eyes meet and suddenly weā€™re both frozen in time, much to my surprise the eye contact was piercing. At that moment I remember thinking, What! She must be kidding! She doesnā€™t stand a chance! I smiled at her, held up my index finger, set my equipment down, and then I walk back to my truck. Wait until she gets a load of this!

When I return to the edge of the water she was still standing there, her left arm resting on the handle of her modest scoop, her eyes still studying me like two hot laser beams. Once again I offer her a little smile, then I slipped on my Polaroid shades and neoprene gloves, my third smile was a little wider, a little bigger all around, then into a full-fledged grin. There you go, Toots! Game on! I bent over and I pickup my detector and scoop, itā€™s time to get serious and show this little hussy what real metal detecting is all about! Imagine my surprise when I glanced down the beach to see her holding up her index finger. Oh, now this should be good. A friendly little smile formed under my dark shades, my right hand graciously accepting her request that I allow her a moment or two to prepare for the upcoming battle. She eyed me back for a moment and then she clutched her scoop and detector and she started walking toward the parking lot. CHICKEN! AND DONā€™T BOTHER COMING BACK!ā€¦ā€¦..PANZY! I was laughing so hard inside I actually had to give myself a few minutes before I slipped the headphones over my ears, and thatā€™s when I saw her standing there out of the corner of my eye. WHAT!

There she stood, a hundred yards down the beach, sun to her back, hips shifted to the right, jaw cocked to the left, Excalliber with a WOT coil in one hand, a big shiny scoop with a ten inch bucket in the other. After a second or two she offered me a friendly smile, then a full fledged grin, her eyes still burning holes through me like two hot laser beams. Holy crap! This chick means business! And so it was, I reached down and turned on my mean machine, Game On Baby! Big Daddyā€™s gonna make you wish youā€™d chosen another beach to hunt! A second later I was quickly stepping into the water to draw first blood.

For the next three hours we scoured that stretch of beach like two starving dogs, not a single crumb was missed as we literally pounded our way through the masses of crumb dropping swimmers. The sight of the other one digging was almost too much to bear, but holding your composure meant everything as the space between us continued to shrink. Finally we arrived at a distance that allowed us to make out each otherā€™s face, Oh my godā€¦ā€¦YIKES!ā€¦ā€¦..THATā€™S MY EX-WIFE! I could tell by the rapid repeated firing of those burning lasers that she had now come to the same reality. What had been grins before were now images of grinding teeth, parents quickly cleared their children from the beach as the grinding grew louder. And just like a woman, she simply couldnā€™t resist the opportunity to draw first blood, the heavy 18k gold manā€™s wedding she had pinched between her fingers looking somewhat familiar, in fact, it looked very familiar! Suddenly I remembered the very night when I had tossed that thing into the sea a couple of years ago, whereā€™s the justice in her finding it on this most unusual dayā€¦..WENCH! But I held my composure, and then I held up the big fat 18k ladies wedding ring with the big fat 1/4ct diamond and,,ā€¦wait a minuteā€¦..this ladies wedding ring looks familiar! Holy crap! She actually tossed the damn thing into the sea!ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦..What a WENCH!

You know, itā€™s funny how life just sort of serves things up when you least expect it. But as we stood there in that water with the SWAT TEAM standing by on shore, we both just sort of came to our senses. Sometimes a little time apart is a good thing, I mean, until that very day I never once saw my ex-wife with a detector in her hand and on that day I guess I learned a thing two about her. Oh sure, Iā€™d seen her take on a few challenges before, and Iā€™d sure as heck had seen those two laser beams many times in the past, but there was no way you could have made me believe that on that day, and in that very moment as we stood there eyeing each other in the water, that she would have suddenly offered me a soft smile as she handed me my wedding band back. And now itā€™s, Game on! Every single day for the rest of my life! Just goes to show you, you just never know what you might find while youā€™re metal detecting. Happy Hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread