bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys and gals. I was finally able to get out and detect a little today. I started in the fields behind a nearby construction site hoping to find a new civil war camp or something, but it wasn't to be.
After a few fruitless hours I grabbed some lunch and went to a decent spot near Shepherdstown were there was a skirmish across the river. I've gotten some fired lead here and a few good musket balls, but never any minie balls for some reason. Well, I think there is some unwritten law of the metal detecting universe that states that more often than not, you will get your best finds when you are ready to pack it up and are heading for the car. I decided to detect close to my car for a minute near the road and lo and behold out popped two minie balls, one of them being a star base. I was pleasently surprised as I have seen other detectorists here and I know it's been hunted to death. I guess everyone else thought the entrance to this place would be hunted out, but that's where the best stuff was.
I also found a decent musket ball, some shot lead, and some smaller bullets.
All in all, not a bad day.

Attachments

• Botelers Ford Relics crpd.jpg
    Botelers Ford Relics crpd.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 499
Upvote 0

jmginmd

Nov 10, 2004
Nice finds. I live pretty close to where you were (Harpers Ferry) and love the history around here. I also recently found a Washington Arsenal bullet (Star Base). Keep it up!

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Also... A lot of detectorists are shy and don't like to detect near the road where folks can see them. If you're not shy, you can dig up the stuff all they've walked over.

Congratulations on the star bullet!

Ridley

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ridley said:
Also... A lot of detectorists are shy and don't like to detect near the road where folks can see them. If you're not shy, you can dig up the stuff all they've walked over.

Congratulations on the star bullet!

Ridley

Good finds!

I have to agree about hunting near the road. We did a club hunt this summer at a site where both armies marched during the CW. One guy found the nicest Union sword belt buckle I've ever seen come out of the ground - just 5 - 6 feet from the road.

DCMatt

gmsparky

Aug 14, 2007
metro detroit
Detector(s) used
dfx, m6, prizm III
i've been wanting to ask about feeling a little strange while detecting. i know people are curious about it, but i'm a bit shy as people check out what you're doing. my teens joke with me about being a 'dork', but i do enjoy the hobby. anyone else feel a bit 'dorky'?? thanks

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are great CW relics for a display case.
I understand what you mean about feeling shy detecting close to roads..there's an old cemetary with a wrought iron fence that I could imagine all sorts of horsedrawn carriages were tied to that I would love to detect OUTSIDE of. The problem is that it's right at the corner of what's now a busy intersection. I'm concerned that I'm going to get some strange looks at the very least. It's very frustrating

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds! Glad to see you made it back from "over there".
Mike

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read a famous story similar to this.

A detectorist was showing their kid how to detect & the kid started at the entrance to the gate. Everyone else who had detected had started by walking in the field first (thinking the entrance will be full of rubbish). Anyway first time out the kid dug a hoard of Roman silver coins.

Look everywhere once.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey bear,Congrat's on the find's...Might have a hunt up at the Antietam farm this weekend.Going Bow-Hunting Sat. morning but we can do something later on if you want.Give me a shout if you're interested.Nice find's!!

OP
OP
bearbqd

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies everyone. Yeah, I usually don't like being by the road either but after finding those two minies I'm gonna suck it up from now on. Check out my other new post for today from the same place. Had I not been detecting by the road, I wouldn't have had that lady stop and give me the killer invite. Also, one of the new minie shots was two feet away from the other two.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread