Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this at my colonial site, but my feeling is this is a little later, perhaps 1850's? I think it is a Jersey style carpenters axe, and it appears to be hand forged. The odd thing is on most modern and late 19th century roofer's axes the notch is much further back, and the chopping edge is straight.

Are there any tool experts out there?

Attachments

• 2007_1003Image0002.JPG
    2007_1003Image0002.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 643
Upvote 0

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Looks like a roofer's axe. The little notch for pulling nails. No idea when they started/stopped making them.

Daryl

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the 17 and 1800s Alot of axe blades had the nail puller made into the blade. I have a camp hatchet found in earthworks from the Civil War that has a nail puller made into it. I would say that from the wear on that blade that yours is probably 18th century-early 19th. The one I have is early 1800s but was used during the Civil War probably by some soldier as they were creating the earthworks. I have found alot of felling axes as well around and through the woods in front of the lines that I hunt. You can imagine all the men out there in front of the lines clearing trees to get a clear line of sight and direct fire.

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found one like that a few months ago. Hope mine as as old as they say yours is!!!

Nice find btw!

Attachments

• axe.jpg
    axe.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 608
  • axe.jpg
    axe.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 378

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice axe heads! Both are very old probably early to mid 1800s. I have found many myself and they are actually a hot item with relic dealers right now. They are selling them for $32 a piece. This might not sound like alot but for an old axe head, that is pretty good....And the person who is buying it is buying a piece of history to boot so I think all around it is a good thing.

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Had something that looked like that once,it was a hatchet but had a blade on one end,a hammer head on the other and a nail puller on the top, was using it one day while hunting trying to beat a nail into a tree, and the head came off. I threw it in the woods,piece of crap :D but that one is a cool find never the less :D

HH

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
matthewh05 said:
Had something that looked like that once,it was a hatchet but had a blade on one end,a hammer head on the other and a nail puller on the top, was using it one day while hunting trying to beat a nail into a tree, and the head came off. I threw it in the woods,piece of crap :D but that one is a cool find never the less :D

HH

Maybe I found yours!

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300
I found one just like it today! ;D Couldn't believe it when I brought your post up....very cool that it's that old!! :)

HH, Hank 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread