A few "dug" barber coins

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
A few "dug" barber coins

Here is my collection of barber coins found with a metal detector since 1999. "Good ones" include the two 1893-p dimes in the upper left corner, both in AU grade, found in the same hole; the near-mint 1899-p (top row, 5th from left), and the 1903-S (2nd row, 3rd from left). Of the coins found here, the deepest was 12 inches, and the least deep was laying on top of the dirt. Most were 1.5 to 6 inches down. I haven't had such good luck with earlier silver coins, but these are among my favorite finds.

5770.imagea.jpg

Attachments

• Indy pin small.jpg
    Indy pin small.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 14
  • SLQ.jpg
    SLQ.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0223.JPG
    IMG_0223.JPG
    899.5 KB · Views: 15
  • My Morgan Front.jpg
    My Morgan Front.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 15
  • ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 0
OP
OP
rhedden

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
Re: A few "dug" barber coins

Wow, this post is from 2 years ago. I barely remember posting it. Wonder how it got to the top? By the way, the coins were found over a 3 year period, mostly in and around the Ithaca, NY area.

Coin_Saver

Nov 10, 2004
Ohio

Wow, U LITERALLY got me to DROOOOL, seriously, i really am drooling, what kind of mder are u using? HH CS

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee

Great finds there. I do not think that the type of metal detector has any thing to do with those coins he said they were 1 to 6" deep so most any detector would have found them. I think the places you hunt are the reason you have good finds.

OP
OP
rhedden

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex

All were found with White's Spectrum. Original, untouched detecting spots do account for 90% of the coins. A few of the less valuable ones were found in places that had been hunted before. One of the dimes, though damaged, was actually lying on top of the ground, so that will tell you that I was hunting in pristine locations without any competition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread