North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few finds - Need a few ID's please

Well, I just got back from a vacation / funeral back in my hometown in Indiana.
Some of you may know from my post a few days ago, what started as a vacation for my son and I visiting my Dad, turned out tragic unfortunately.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,101412.0.html#lastPost

He's been gone a week now, and I will greatly miss sharing my (and your) MDing finds with him.
I wanted to post up a few things I found before things went bad.

* At a 1936 school I dug up the cross pin looking thingy.
Any ideas what this is?

*At the same school I had a signal that was driving me nuts right where some busted up asphalt met a cornfield. I could not find the target. It ended up being a penny buried inside the asphalt. Once I got it out & cleaned up, I discovered it was a 1944 wheat penny. No big deal, but I found another 1928 wheat.

*Early on the same day my Dad was killed, I was digging at what used to be my great grandparents old 1800's house. I dug up the piece of a Jeep (?) you see. I'm not sure of the make or age, but I gave it to my Dad that day and he was excited to see it. It looks too old to be a toy from the 1960's that I would have played with, so I'm thinking it may have been his? At least I hope it is.
Can anyone ID this toy? It would mean a lot to me.

Other pictures are of my son and a Bass he caught, a fawn we spotted, and an old mid 1950's Sunbeam electric mower I picked up at an estate sale back there.

Dad,
I love you & I miss you.

-MM-
Doug

Attachments

• MVC-033S.JPG
    MVC-033S.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 843
  • MVC-034S.JPG
    MVC-034S.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 840
  • MVC-035S.JPG
    MVC-035S.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 845
  • MVC-036S.JPG
    MVC-036S.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 846
  • MVC-037S.JPG
    MVC-037S.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 839
  • MVC-038S.JPG
    MVC-038S.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 844
  • MVC-039S.JPG
    MVC-039S.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 838
  • MVC-040S.JPG
    MVC-040S.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 841
  • MVC-030S.JPG
    MVC-030S.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 836
  • MVC-024S.JPG
    MVC-024S.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 842
  • pin.jpg
    pin.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 762
Upvote 0

cottonjim

Jan 12, 2007
S.W. MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Re: A few finds - Need a few ID's please

Sorry about your dad MM. THe Jeep, or half jeep as it is, looks like part of a Tootsie Toy. Are there any stampings on the bootm? HH
Jim

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cottonjim said:
I couldn't find one exactly like it but the tires look like they are from a tootsie toy anyways. http://www.tias.com/13/InventoryPage/450/1.html HH
Jim

Thanks Jim.
I'll see if I can find any markings on it. There was a roof the broke off that I didn't put in the picture.
-MM-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT

Nice finds and small mouth!!!!!

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's

Congrats on the finds, and my heart goes out to you on your loss. Keep em coming!

panzermeyer

Jul 27, 2004
The Great White North
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum Tesoro Tiger Shark

High Fives on that cool crossed artillery pin ! I;m sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my only brother in an accident this spring so I can understand how you feel. God Bless you and Happy Hunting...Panz

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006

My deepest condolances on the loss of your beloved dad.

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII

It's good to have you back, Doug!

Never seen a penny in asphalt before! The new place is producing. You're welcome to jump in anytime! (See post).

You were missed!

Dave

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Doug,
I am really sorry to read the news of your dad. :'( I can honestly say I feel your pain. At least he was with you for more years than my dad. My dad was killed by an automobile striking him as he was crossing the street with his bike. He was only in his mid 50's. He was down in Maryland to help my brother move. I was fortunate as I had a good relationship with him and had no unresolved issues. I was rebellious as a teen but a life changing experience(being born again) changed me dramatically and my life changed for the good. A couple of my other 4 brothers did not have the same experience. They never really had my father's approval when he died suddenly. It was really hard on them. He was a very good, unselfish man as it sounds like your dad was. It also was really hard on my mom as she saw it unfold. :'(

Anyway, I will think of you in my prayers and are glad you are back.

Bob

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/Troy Shadow X2/Ace 250

A friend of mine found similar crossed cannons a few weeks ago at a old school. We showed them to the pres of our MD club and he said they were civil war era. I think they are the same. I am sure nickel_buff1935 will chime in tomorrow and let you know for sure.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

first let me say that I am sorry for your loss be glad that yoou got to "speak" to your dad before he he passed and that you having a "good day" with him otherwise until it happened ---my father was "basically" dead for several years --unable to talk or even recognize me or any other loved ones ---I lost him twice basically first his mind and then his body ---although it pained me deeply to see him that way I still visited him --unlike some of the "others" in my family --they were like "why bother he doesn't know you ?" My reply was "yes but I do know him" and as a helpless child he loved and took care of me --its the least I can do ---it was rough on my step mother to care for him round the clock and not dump him into a nursing home ---I would "spell" her and give her "time off" unlike my other brothers and sister who were "too good" to take care of him ---I still miss him deeply he too was a detectorist
nice civil war era arrty pin --very nice---there seems to be words on the side--- looks to be a tootie toy item-- Ivan

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mirage said:
Doug,
I am really sorry to read the news of your dad. :'( I can honestly say I feel your pain. At least he was with you for more years than my dad. My dad was killed by an automobile striking him as he was crossing the street with his bike. He was only in his mid 50's. He was down in Maryland to help my brother move. I was fortunate as I had a good relationship with him and had no unresolved issues. I was rebellious as a teen but a life changing experience(being born again) changed me dramatically and my life changed for the good. A couple of my other 4 brothers did not have the same experience. They never really had my father's approval when he died suddenly. It was really hard on them. He was a very good, unselfish man as it sounds like your dad was. It also was really hard on my mom as she saw it unfold. :'(

Anyway, I will think of you in my prayers and are glad you are back.

Bob

Thanks Bob. I'm sorry to hear about your father. I'm glad you two were close.
-Doug-

ivan salis said:
first let me say that I am sorry for your loss be glad that you got to "speak" to your dad before he he passed and that you having a "good day" with him otherwise until it happened ---my father was "basically" dead for several years --unable to talk or even recognize me or any other loved ones ---I lost him twice basically first his mind and then his body ---although it pained me deeply to see him that way I still visited him --unlike some of the "others" in my family --they were like "why bother he doesn't know you ?" My reply was "yes but I do know him" and as a helpless child he loved and took care of me --its the least I can do ---it was rough on my step mother to care for him round the clock and not dump him into a nursing home ---I would "spell" her and give her "time off" unlike my other brothers and sister who were "too good" to take care of him ---I still miss him deeply he too was a detectorist
nice civil war era arrty pin --very nice---there seems to be words on the side--- looks to be a tootie toy item-- Ivan

Thanks Ivan. That had to be very hard on you. I'm so glad my Dad went instantly.
Thanks for the ID's too.
-Doug-

outraged said:
A friend of mine found similar crossed cannons a few weeks ago at a old school. We showed them to the pres of our MD club and he said they were civil war era. I think they are the same. I am sure nickel_buff1935 will chime in tomorrow and let you know for sure.

Outraged,
That's great news on the crossed cannons. I dug it up on an old school field (built in 1936). Right next to that field was an old RR tracks and a post office built in the 1800's. Unfortunately, I couldn't detect much at that school this trip, as the grass was too high. :'(
Thanks for the input.
-Doug-

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

My deepest sympathies to you and your family for the loss of your father.

The crossed cannons insignia appears to be a U.S. Army Artillery collar device, probably of WWI vintage or thereabout. At any rate, it's not likely a lot earlier, as I believe that the military began using screw-post attachments of this type sometime in the 1890's.

theloadroom

Oct 17, 2006
SW Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Sunray X-1 probe

My condolences on your loss MM, I enjoy your posts, HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread