North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few finds - Need a few ID's please

Well, I just got back from a vacation / funeral back in my hometown in Indiana.
Some of you may know from my post a few days ago, what started as a vacation for my son and I visiting my Dad, turned out tragic unfortunately.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,101412.0.html#lastPost

He's been gone a week now, and I will greatly miss sharing my (and your) MDing finds with him.
I wanted to post up a few things I found before things went bad.

* At a 1936 school I dug up the cross pin looking thingy.
Any ideas what this is?

*At the same school I had a signal that was driving me nuts right where some busted up asphalt met a cornfield. I could not find the target. It ended up being a penny buried inside the asphalt. Once I got it out & cleaned up, I discovered it was a 1944 wheat penny. No big deal, but I found another 1928 wheat.

*Early on the same day my Dad was killed, I was digging at what used to be my great grandparents old 1800's house. I dug up the piece of a Jeep (?) you see. I'm not sure of the make or age, but I gave it to my Dad that day and he was excited to see it. It looks too old to be a toy from the 1960's that I would have played with, so I'm thinking it may have been his? At least I hope it is.
Can anyone ID this toy? It would mean a lot to me.

Other pictures are of my son and a Bass he caught, a fawn we spotted, and an old mid 1950's Sunbeam electric mower I picked up at an estate sale back there.

Dad,
I love you & I miss you.

-MM-
Doug

Attachments

• MVC-033S.JPG
    MVC-033S.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 843
  • pin.jpg
    pin.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 762
  • MVC-024S.JPG
    MVC-024S.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 842
  • MVC-030S.JPG
    MVC-030S.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 836
  • MVC-040S.JPG
    MVC-040S.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 841
  • MVC-039S.JPG
    MVC-039S.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 838
  • MVC-038S.JPG
    MVC-038S.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 844
  • MVC-037S.JPG
    MVC-037S.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 839
  • MVC-036S.JPG
    MVC-036S.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 846
  • MVC-035S.JPG
    MVC-035S.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 845
  • MVC-034S.JPG
    MVC-034S.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 840
Upvote 0

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV

ScrewcapRoy

Jun 14, 2007
Weymouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Re: A few finds - Need a few ID's please

Really sorry about your loss MM. It is always hardest on those left behind. My mom went real quick and unexpected (massive heart attack). No one was ready for it and it was a real shock. I am sure that he is smiling down on you from above. He will make his presence known when you are out detecting again. That is what he would want to do.

Moving forward and Best Wishes.
Roy

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, prayers, and ID's. It means a lot to me.
My hunting pal Ridley has already cheered me up with a new hunting spot he scored while I was gone.
Now I can only hope he saves me a few things to find. ;D
Thanks & HH,
MM

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

That car does look to be a Tootsietoy Baja Runabout; I'm holding an orange one in my hand as I type this. Sorry about your dad.

Nickel_Buff1935

Jun 1, 2007
NY
Detector(s) used
MINELAB X-Terra 50 & WHITE'S MXT

outraged said:
A friend of mine found similar crossed cannons a few weeks ago at a old school. We showed them to the pres of our MD club and he said they were civil war era. I think they are the same. I am sure nickel_buff1935 will chime in tomorrow and let you know for sure.

Very cool finds!

The pin I found does not have the screw attachment on the back...

It was also found at a school built between 1927-28!

I will scan the item and post it Thursday!

Nickel_B

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So happy to see you posting, MM. :)

Great finds and a niceeee catch on the fish too! 8) What in the heck are you going to do with that old lawnmower? :P :D

Nana :)

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nana40 said:
So happy to see you posting, MM. :)

Great finds and a niceeee catch on the fish too! 8) What in the heck are you going to do with that old lawnmower? :P :D

Nana :)

Thanks Nana.
I collect old mowers. Mainly the old reel type mowers. I couldn't pass this classic 50's electric mower up for $10. It still works great too. :o
-MM-

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Hey MM...Glad to have you back,hope all is well with you and your family,very soory to hear about your loss.Can you do me one favor....Use the lawnmower and take a pic of the path of grass that thing leave's....That thing is Crazy lookin'.Good to see ya back MM and HH!!

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250

Hey MM...good to see you back, I can't help you with any of your finds...but if you take a picture of that mower hanging from a tree, you can post it under the UFO thread... ;D...take care..

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Copperhead said:
Hey MM...good to see you back, I can't help you with any of your finds...but if you take a picture of that mower hanging from a tree, you can post it under the UFO thread... ;D...take care..

LMAO! ;D It does look futuristic. :o
-MM-

Nickel_Buff1935

Jun 1, 2007
NY
Detector(s) used

Here's the crossed cannon pin I dug up at that school...

I'd say it's about two to three times the size of your find.

But very similar in design!

I wonder if there is some kind of connection seeing as how we both found ours at schools built in the early 20th century ???

Nickel_B

Attachments

• crossedcannonsI.jpg
    crossedcannonsI.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 287
  • crossedcannonsII.jpg
    crossedcannonsII.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 282
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nickel_Buff1935 said:

I wonder if there is some kind of connection seeing as how we both found ours at schools built in the early 20th century ???

Nickel_B

Thank Nickel.
Yours looks very similar. I'm hoping I can get back to that site again to hunt it more sometime. It is a VERY small old town. Pretty much just a RR tracks, the old abandoned school, and the old and new post office.
-MM-

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania

So sorry to read about what happened. You are in my thoughts and prayers. :'(

I lost my dad a fews years ago, he had been sick for awhile. It was real hard on me, I didnt wanna face the fact that the end was near and I couldnt bring myself to visit with him as much as I should have. But when I did we had heart to heart talks about how he wanted things to go for me and my kids in life. He knew how I felt about him, I didnt have to tell him with words. I miss him very much, but from time to time I think he still visits. Whether or not the things I see, smell or feel are real or not, I think it's him visiting and that's comforting for me to know.

They are never really gone, your dad will alway's be with you in heart and spirit with the memories you have of him.

Take Care

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TeddyB1967 said:
So sorry to read about what happened. You are in my thoughts and prayers. :'(

I lost my dad a fews years ago, he had been sick for awhile. It was real hard on me, I didnt wanna face the fact that the end was near and I couldnt bring myself to visit with him as much as I should have. But when I did we had heart to heart talks about how he wanted things to go for me and my kids in life. He knew how I felt about him, I didnt have to tell him with words. I miss him very much, but from time to time I think he still visits. Whether or not the things I see, smell or feel are real or not, I think it's him visiting and that's comforting for me to know.

They are never really gone, your dad will alway's be with you in heart and spirit with the memories you have of him.

Take Care

Thank you.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I did receive the following info on the crossed cannon pin from a well respected TN member:

"Thanks to seeing the scale of the device when held in human fingers, I am able to tell that this is actually a piece of a Korean War period Army collar disc for an enlisted man in the artillery branch. Some time immediately after WWII manufacturers produced multi-piece collar discs for ease of polishing. The short, threaded post on the back simply went through the thin, brass, circular backing plate and into a flat cross bar that had 2 sharp prongs protruding off the back for punching through the uniform collar and fastening with "clutch" fasteners. This one appears to have been curve formed which would have been used on a "domed" collar disc. The domed ones came into vogue in about 1947 and phased out about 1955 or so. The domed variety were never authorized but very popular."

-MM-

Nickel_Buff1935

Jun 1, 2007
NY
Detector(s) used

ModernMiner said:
Nickel_Buff1935 said:

Nickel_B

Thank Nickel.
Yours looks very similar. I'm hoping I can get back to that site again to hunt it more sometime. It is a VERY small old town. Pretty much just a RR tracks, the old abandoned school, and the old and new post office.
-MM-

Hunt it up!

I'd love to see whatelse lays below the surface there!

I've let my school hunting spot cool down... but I think I'll put in a morning hunt there Friday.

Sorry for your loss as well :'(

I lost my father suddenly at the begginning of this year :(

One of the reasons I got hooked on MD'ing is the fact that the very first coin I dug up was a 1935 Buffalo... which is my father's birth year :)

I felt like he was looking down from the heavens that day and giving me a little encouragement to stick with my new hobby ;D

HH

Nickel_B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread