A few questions about half dollar hunting

MoneyBags

Apr 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I am about to get my first set of half dollars from the bank I just have a few questions first.

1. Is half dollars in a bag bad to buy from the bank if they are not rolled?

2. I know that 1964 and before are 90% silver, 1965-1970 are 40% are there any specific dates to keep an eye out for?

3. Can I return the coins to the another bank in a bag or do I have to reroll?

4. What are the odds I will or will not find silver in $500 worth of halves.

5. Should I sell the coins on eBay or to a store in my area and if so what type of store?

I'm interested in hearing if you guys found anything on your first hunt and if so what it was. Also any other tips is appreciated!

MoneyBags!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey, MB,
Just read the "Beginners guide to Coin Roll Hunting" at the top of the forum.
Until you do, some of these guys will give you a rough initiation.

If you've already read it, then here are some answers:

1. Bags can be incredibly rich.

2. I don't look for any key dates.

3. Some banks take bags of loose, others have coin machines. Check with the banks.

4. I opened 17 boxes last friday and found (1) 40%.

5. The bay will eat you up with fees. C*list can be good, check the coinshops.

6. Ask for stories in your next post. You will get plenty of them.

Keep on Rollin' !

Last edited:
Hey, MB,
Just read the "Beginners guide to Coin Roll Hunting" at the top of the forum.
Until you do, some of these guys will give you a rough initiation.

If you've already read it, then here are some answers:

1. Bags can be incredibly rich.

2. I don't look for any key dates.

3. Some banks take bags of loose, others have coin machines. Check with the banks.

4. I opened 17 boxes last friday and found (1) 40%.

5. The bay will eat you up with fees. C*list can be good, check the coinshops.

6. Ask for stories in your next post. You will get plenty of them.

Keep on Rollin' !

thanks! i hope to find a few silvers :) then repeat over and over. how long does it take to go though 1k halfes you think?

thanks! i hope to find a few silvers :) then repeat over and over. how long does it take to go though 1k halfes you think?

MoneyBags,

I just started out as well, and it takes me about 30 minutes to go though half a box and re-roll (no bank in the immediate area that takes loose change). One box is 1000 coins worth $500.

MoneyBags,

I just started out as well, and it takes me about 30 minutes to go though half a box and re-roll (no bank in the immediate area that takes loose change). One box is 1000 coins worth $500.
goodluck let me know if you find anything!

Most of the silver has already been pulled out of circulation. You probably shouldn't waste your time ;-)

If you want to sell your silver, coin shows are a great way to shop around to get the most for your 40%ers and 90%ers along with unloading your NIFC halves if you choose to keep them.

Most of the silver has already been pulled out of circulation. You probably shouldn't waste your time ;-)

Most, yes, but there's still a decent amount. In a little over a week of CRH I've found 60 bucks of silver. Halves, dimes, and quarters. I've gone through $67 in loose halves and $100 in rolls and have found 5 silver halves just from that.

As for the bags. I'm assuming you mean bags from coin machines? Look at it this way: most of the time when people find dream rolls its because someone inherated an old coin collection from a relative who passed away and they had no appreciation for coins or didn't realize it's true value and then just cashed it in for face value. Now with all the coin machines those same people could go to the bank and just dump the coins there. It's all about chance. Good luck! I'm waiting for my first box to come in this week.

thanks everyone what does NIFC mean though? sorry newbie question.

thanks for being the only one to actually answer my question. the rest of you go spam elsewhere

You could just read the thread at the top of the forum and that could answer ALL your questions. OR, at some point you can grow a sense of humor. No one means any harm to you, so relax a bit.

1. Not necessarily. I got an incomplete bag of Ikes once and was fortunate to find a '72 Type II coin.

2. 1987D, proof coins, 2002-12 coins are often of interest to others and can be sold for a small premium.

3. Depends on the bank.

4. I find that the highest percentage of skunks are amongst the Brinks boxes in my area. I haven't done a great volume of boxes due to the time it takes to unwrap the machine-rolled coins so that they can be put back into the same wrapper. The long, flat NF String boxes seem to yield 1-2 silver coins per box, regardless of percentage. I'll only take boxes if they are in the branch and are offered to me. Sometimes I don't take them. I *always* take each and every CWR I find, although I've ended up with some grand dumps this way too.

5. I only trade the coins I find. I find NIFCs, proofs, and Ikes particularly convenient ways to obtain "supplemental" silver.

thanks for being the only one to actually answer my question. the rest of you go spam elsewhere

At first I thought that I might ruin the jokes, but I decided not to play around with beginners. The info is also in the beginners guide.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back